Audionet Scientist Series: Humboldt Integrated vs Stern and Heisenberg Separates : Having Your Cake and Eating it Too?

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
I know that by now, many have heard the big separates, as I have been lucky enough to hear on two separate occasions in two vastly different setups (a BIG thanks to both Don and Bill for hosting me). I now feel that, for me, they are the best amplification I've yet heard.

But I'm very curious if anyone has heard the Humboldt Integrated at length to be able to form an opinion on its comparative performance to its bigger siblings.

Thanks guys.

Kerry Humboldt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am interested in knowing at what level do their separates take off (increase in quality).

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
IMO, The Audionet Scientist Series (Humboldt Integrated, Stern Preamp & Heisenberg Monoblocks) are in a different league from the AMP and MAX series performance wise.
In fact, based on my audition of the Humboldt Integrated driving the YG Hailey 2s as well as the MAX Monoblocks and Stern Preamp driving the significantly more ambitious Sonja 2s, I preferred the Humboldt setup..

Last edited:

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
@musicfirst100 I wonder what has changed with the high end Scientist series that makes it sound so much better?

Not like the regular or standard Audionet electronics are lacking in resolution, speed and neutrality.

Perhaps Audionet will have a Stereo version of the Heisenberg Monoblocks in the future?

Nevertheless, still very expensive but, Uber sounding SOTA amplification.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
Well, reading Audionet's propaganda :), It appears that DC coupling is a big difference technically, also the bandwidth of the scientist series is quite a bit wider.

Don't get me wrong the MAXs are better than all the other SS designs I've ever heard, but the Scientist series is better by a significant margin, moreso than one might expect at the edge of the art.

I would certainly choose the MAXs hands down against everything else I've heard if the Scientist Series didn't redefine the SOTA in SS for me.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Well, reading Audionet's propaganda :), It appears that DC coupling is a big difference technically, also the bandwidth of the scientist series is quite a bit wider.

Don't get me wrong the MAXs are better than all the other SS designs I've ever heard, but the Scientist series is better by a significant margin, moreso than one might expect at the edge of the art.

I would certainly choose the MAXs hands down against everything else I've heard if the Scientist Series didn't redefine the SOTA in SS for me.

How does the humboldt differ from the Vitus SIA-030 in terms of sound ?
These two are on my short list for my new rig.

ICOREM

Sep 10, 2016
Hi all
I have a full Audionet stack [Max + Pre G2 + Pam G2]. Did anyone have the chance to compare the Humboldt to the MAX/Pre G2 in the same setup ?
Thanks

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
In Peter's review you can clearly hear the difference between Stern-Heisenberg and Vitus SIA-030 on the fisrt track :

Since Humboldt has the same DNA as Stern-Heisenberg i would assume Humboldt betters SIA-030.
Humboldt has better resolution, SIA-30 is darker sounding.

Reactions: Tony Spano

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
Hi all
I have a full Audionet stack [Max + Pre G2 + Pam G2]. Did anyone have the chance to compare the Humboldt to the MAX/Pre G2 in the same setup ?
Thanks
While not in the exact same setup, I heard the Humboldt with the YG Sonjas
Hi all
Thanks
See my post above (#4). The Humboldt, for me was signiificantly better than the MAX/Pre G2 in these two setups heard back to back in two similar rooms and on similar speakers (YG Hailey 2s driven by the Humboldt vs the more ambitious YG Sonja 2s driven by the MAX/Pre G2s).
I also heard the big Heisenbergs and Stern separates that afternoon. I would say the Humboldt had more in common sonically with these cost no object separates than it did to the MAX/PreG2 setup.

Reactions: Panas

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
In my experience, as the system noise floor gets lower, and the system transparency increases, you can hear the sonic advantage of monoblocs over their stereo siblings more and more. Crosstalk at levels we used to think were un-necessarily low can be heard / perceived in the soundstage delivered.

Monoblocs deliver a more well defined sound stage, and more realism for many listeners than their stereo, in one box / chassis siblings. I would claim that there is a tonality improvement as well, but YMMV

Reactions: lordcloud

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Hello, sorry to bring this back, but I’m interested in the STERN with the MAX. Bit more affordable!!
Anyone any experience of this combination?

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Thanks

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Hello, sorry to bring this back, but I’m interested in the STERN with the MAX. Bit more affordable!!
Anyone any experience of this combination?
Yes I demo'd this, and it's the wrong way round. Heisenberg are the star of the Stern / Heisenberg pairing IMHO. If you wanted to cheapen it up, then Heisenberg with a passive pre (and poss TotalDAC driver) would beat Stern / MAX.

Reactions: lordcloud

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Thanks for your feedback.
I’m thinking now of Accustic Arts Mono II as better bet than Max.
Regarding the Heisenberg, it’s just more than I want to spend...
I will go and listen to these combinations next week - let’s see.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting. Before you got the Stern, did you ever consider another preamp to go with Heisenberg which I have read is spectacular?

Reactions: Azjya

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
Interesting. Before you got the Stern, did you ever consider another preamp to go with Heisenberg which I have read is spectacular?
Actually, I haven’t bought the STERN yet. I’m trying to figure out the power amp part having been offered a great deal on a stern.
I was originally looking at a Vitus SIS 30, but for similar money I can get STERN a plus Max or Accustic Arts Mono II...
cannot hear them together and with Covid making things more difficult, hard to decide....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Got it. My understanding is your Vitus SIA 025 is pretty fantastic. You certainly are going to reach pretty high to get fully clear of that performance level from my understanding. Are you able to use the SIA solely as a preamp? I wonder if that would enable you to sink your current investment into the amp first and go all out...and hold fire on the preamp for the moment?

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
Humboldt is, for me, the best Integrated I've heard: bettering Vitus, Pilium, Soulution, Nagra, Stern plus Maxs, CH M1.1s, D'agostino and EMM lab separates. Only the Stern & Heisenbergs eclipse this integrated IMHO.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing