Audiophile Fuses

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thank you CK.
5% is mentioned.
Amazing that 5% measurable difference equates to a world of difference in subjective SQ terms.
The hobby continues to confound and suprise.
The report was published almost 10 years ago, when audiophiles started to "play" fuses.
I myself listen to both directions and choose the right one everytime when I install a new fuse on my audio components.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I really didn't bother when loading my 19 fuses initially. I guess I could always return to this. My sound has been so good across the board since they went in, I may well have got lucky first time around. Only to fail 2 wks ago getting this cdp fuse not right. Sorted today, and how!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I really didn't bother when loading my 19 fuses initially. I guess I could always return to this. My sound has been so good across the board since they went in, I may well have got lucky first time around. Only to fail 2 wks ago getting this cdp fuse not right. Sorted today, and how!
A thought of mine :
Will the directional diff in fuse resistance persist after weeks or months of use?
I don't know.
If you are to do an experiment to find that out, please report here and share with us.
Thanks!
;)

Reactions: NorthStar

trombonist

Jun 27, 2019
-------------------------------
New here .. but caught your comment, I agree, just changing them made a nice improvement. Only cleaned contacts. Too much messing to turn off, get in and under and back and forth, repower (1 min in that) then go thru the self doubt of "was that really better this direction or am I just hearing things .. " .. I just went w/ the Silver level fuse.

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
A measurement report on effect of directiions on HiFi Tuning fuses :
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAQegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw1oupyo_jORXR-s4Q1jGMBm

Unscientific, and irrelevant. First, the differences are in the negligible milli ohm range, especially considering the current involved. Second, temperature variations would affect the results at such a small resistance scale. Third, contact area would affect the results, as nothing is really perfectly round, the fuse or the holder, as well as the measuring apparatus’s leads. Fourth, the measuring equipment likely varies as well by temperature, unless proven otherwise. And most important if all, they did not repeat the tests any number of times to confirm the results, and they wouldn’t be able to repeat them any way, because there is no directionality.

So this is basically total BS and hopefully folks will stop spreading such misinformation.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I think that the fact of removing a fuse and putting a new one has a slight effect of making "recontact" ... or cleansing. That might count for 0.5% improvement up to a max of 5%?
If the old fuses are very dirty and with poor contact, perhaps.

We'll have to measure the fuses, and then listen carefully in comparison with blind tests and with a super audiophile audience of say twenty pairs of golden ears. ...Black bandanas covering their eyes and carefully making sure they don't cover their ears too.

Some people have their fuses getting hot recently with all that nuke talk. They should try reversing them in their own right direction, and see it it improves their music world.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Now you need to reverse the wires on your power cords to keep it all in phase!:p

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I think that the fact of removing a fuse and putting a new one has a slight effect of making "recontact" ... or cleansing. That might count for 0.5% improvement up to a max of 5%?
If the old fuses are very dirty and with poor contact, perhaps.
I would respectfully disagree. Fuse holders are made of cheap easily oxidized metal and scraping away oxidation likely does more than a new fuse. In fact, I bet that in components with moderate - significant oxidized fuse holders a significant portion of the benefit you hear with audiophile fuses is the cleaning of the fuse holder via removing and inserting the new fuse.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, guess what. Reverting the fuse back to it's first position has worsened the sound again.

Reactions: sujay and CKKeung

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Well, guess what. Reverting the fuse back to it's first position has worsened the sound again.
Only 19 to go Marc.
Btw, is the better orientation the same as the previous fuse install or opposite? If it’s opposite then relying on brand writing is not to be trusted. Luckily the Blue fuse doesn’t appear as directional if at all.
IMO, a no brainier to go for a Blue rather than replace with the same Black.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I really can't say Barry, didn't pay attention. Then the Q is, in components w multiple fuses, might there be situations where some fuses will sound better opposite to others?

If so, my preamp has 12 fuses, can you imagine the permutations?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ack, I posted that especially for you. You should try it sometime.

Reactions: sujay

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Frankly, even I heard a difference when I changed the direction of the fuse.... could be expectation bias, I don’t deny. But I don’t see why this is subject to serious accusation ie ‘spreading misinformation ‘. And by the way, expectation bias applies to everyone........even those who use heavily modded equipment and think they heard differences post the modifications.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Agree!
And expectation bais can be the other way round : thinking that there is no diff even when there is a genuine diff.

I always keep my mind open and follow what I can hear.
Maybe some are hallucinations. Haha

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That's v true Ack, I have little knowledge of electrical engineering. But I have a Diploma in Open Mindedness.

And the expectation bias that results in expecting just yr kind of response when I post this kind of comment on fuses.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
That's v true Ack, I have little knowledge of electrical engineering. But I have a Diploma in Open Mindedness.

And the expectation bias that results in expecting just yr kind of response when I post this kind of comment on fuses.

If you are so open minded, then take it to heart to stop spreading this kind of *****. A good example of open mindedness comes from manufacturers themselves, like Paul at PS Audio; it is humbling; (apologies if this has been posted before). If Paul can still learn, so can others.

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthStar

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ack, you'd think I was promoting a fake cure for cancer, or being an anti-vax radical.
Yeah, I'm spreading *****.
I'd have thought it was more ****.

Too bad you didn't dive into my pro Entreq comments. You'd have had a field day.

Switched the fuse around again, and all is calm in the world (other than for that well known meteorological phenomenon, Ack's Wind).

Reactions: Antistati

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing