audioquattr system, from A to Z

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Yes i have. Before i had the Lampi edition's from the 5u4g THAT was my favorite combi (in the GG).
I still like the Taks very much. On a lot aspects i prefer them above the KR 242. It is very sweet and superb soundstage in higher mids and highs. In lower mids and midbass the KR242 and RK242 are better IMHO.

These Takatsuki Output and rectifier tubes belong to the best.
And between the best, it is system and listener (and mood) dependent which to choose, all imho offcourse.

So i can really understand your friend's choice.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand you correctly.
The Tak Trinity was your (clear) favorite in the GG and you tried the Tak Trilogy also in the Pacific but in the PAC you prefer other combinations more?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Yes that whas an awesome Tube test session, weldone guys!
A lot to learn and nice short notes.
I have to give my short personal subjective result of this wonderful gathering :cool:

In my GG, I liked the RK KR 5u4g in combination with the KR 242 the best, the KR PX25 second best, but prefer the 242 clearly over the PX25.

In Gorans GG2.5, I liked the RK KR 5u4g in combination with the KR 242 and the KR PX25 almost equally good, while Goran, Norman and David liked the PX25 more.

In the Pacific, we unanimously preferred the RK KR 5u4g with the PX25 over the 242.

But that was before we knew/had the absolutely awesome RK KR 242 :eek:

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand you correctly.
The Tak Trinity was your (clear) favorite in the GG and you tried the Tak Trilogy also in the Pacific but in the PAC you prefer other combinations more?
Yes, but that was BEFORE the lampi edition's (5u4g) came out. That's what i was trying to explain.:)
And what i posted here in #28 ; So what we prefer is also allways system dependent IMHO.
And here aswell in post #36
The Tak makes everything and mainly the bass a bit "softer". Sometimes this can be good when a system is the other way..

I meant to me it is most system dependent. The time i had the GG my system with magico M3's was much more bass heavy in a little bit smaller room, than the prefered combi was different than with my actual system.

When i got the Pacific i had the M3's, than i prefered the Tak300b's with RK5u4. 2nd half last year i rebuild my room, 2meter longer and different positions. Than i prefered both the Tak's and EML300b mesh XLS with KR 5u4.

Than i got the Cessaro's in the same room and same electronics and now i prefer, see top 10, RK 242 with RK 5u4g. So to me system dependent ;). Now i only talked about my preference dependent on my system changes.

Reactions: Golum and christoph

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
I have to give my short personal subjective result of this wonderful gathering :cool:

In my GG, I liked the RK KR 5u4g in combination with the KR 242 the best, the KR PX25 second best, but prefer the 242 clearly over the PX25.

In Gorans GG2.5, I liked the RK KR 5u4g in combination with the KR 242 and the KR PX25 almost equally good, while Goran, Norman and David liked the PX25 more.

In the Pacific, we unanimously preferred the RK KR 5u4g with the PX25 over the 242.

But that was before we knew/had the absolutely awesome RK KR 242 :eek:

Thank you!
So in some way it is still a little bit listener and system (DAC here) dependent.
Overall clear conclusions and helpfull tests.

Reactions: Golum and christoph

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
A system update.
I am not sure if this is a small or big system update. In terms of part of the frequency range it is just a small part, just 1,5-2 octave. Physical it is a big change. And as result of the whole sound it is finally also a BIG change. It is the fundamentally part of the sound spectrum. No i didn't replace the subs.

Beginning of this year i got the big Cessaro front loaded basshorns. They replaces my normal cone 2x 15" woofersystem in the sidewalls. It took a while to get it all satisfying (to myself). I have to say it took a few months and quiet some work and moving around and dialing in. Now with the final setup, part 2, it is unbelievable good (to my ears) and i am really happy with it.
Part 1. Basshorn in between the Cessaro Zeta horn's at the frontwall. They are allmost 2.4m deep. (part2 comes next ).

cessaro bassh part1.jpg

cessaro bassh part2.jpg

cessaro bassh setup 1.jpg

cessaro bassh setup 2.jpg

cessaro DJ Ralph.jpg

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
After the setup was finished we dialed in the Cessaro amplifiers for the basshorns.
Over the next weeks i optimized the settings. It all sounded good but still not great.
Offcourse this is all room and situation dependent.

part 1 pictures first-not final-basshorn setup 2.jpg

first-not final-basshorn setup 1.jpg

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Part2.

The bass was full and fast but not coherent and integrated with the midbass.
I couldn't get the phase right (to my ears).
I very much had doubts about that before the placement of the basshorns at the frontwall.

Since i have this room (since 2012) i have tried subs/bass systems through the whole room.
In 2014 i placed the woofers in the sidewalls, so in front of the main speakers. So i could perfectly time align them or at least delay the bass to the main speakers. This worked perfect.
Also because of roomnodes this was a better place.

So finally after several weeks i decided to get the basshorn in front of the main speakers. With "some" mods and a "bit" of work to the sidewalls it is all good now. I mean it is really great :).
The basshorns are about 2.7m lenght. Now the distance listening position to the basshorn driver is the same as listening position to the main speaker.
I moved the basshorn as long as i got the best integration, even 5mm difference you could here.
The bass is now full and fast and very coherent and fully integrated with the midbass from the main speakers (Zeta's).

aq setup nw1 overv.jpg

aq su bh 1.jpg

Here you can see a bit of the distance of the hrorn for the driver..
Yes i need to clean it but for seeing the shape of the internal horn it is easier now :p
FL Basshorn intern vw.jpg

backside.jpg

aq detail r1.jpg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Fantastic Audioquattr.
So, your in-wall subs are now not in use?
How are yr Xover pts set for Zeta mids to upper bass, and Zeta upper bass to new basshorns?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Big congratulations to you for finally achieving great satisfaction with your low frequencies! I cannot wait to hear the updated system!

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Dankjewel HJ !

Absolutely fantastic system :cool:
Now that looks like a horn system that can do real damage sonically
It can but actually it caresses the ear :)

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Simply awesome looking. Congratulations. I love everything about this system, though I have only "heard" Ron Resnick's impressions of its sound. Stunning.
Thank you!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations - the whole system looks great, and I love the idea of being full bandwidth!

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Fantastic Audioquattr.
So, your in-wall subs are now not in use?
How are yr Xover pts set for Zeta mids to upper bass, and Zeta upper bass to new basshorns?
Thank you spiritofmusic!

The midbass (double 11") from the Zeta to the mid (big top mounted horn) Xover at 350hz (1st order).
The Zeta is not filtered at the bottom. It acoustically works because of its hornsize (120cm) down till 76hz .
The new basshorns from about 27hz to 76hz crossed with its own active amp.

I only use 1 18inch subwoofer only from 10- 27hz.
It totally can not keep up with the speed of the basshorn. That's why i put it 8-10dB lower and highcut at 60dB/oct. It is great though for ambiance etc..

Reactions: christoph

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Big congratulations to you for finally achieving great satisfaction with your low frequencies! I cannot wait to hear the updated system!
Thank you Ron!
You are welcome. It is really completely transformed, you have to experience it.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Congratulations - the whole system looks great, and I love the idea of being full bandwidth!
Thank you Microstip!
I knew it would be better with the basshorn but i couldn't believe it was so much better.
You're right, full bandwith same technology makes really sense.

Reactions: christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Audioquattr, those new basshorns are mighty close to yr listening position. I totally get how they ended up there instead of centrally...indeed Ralph's big Cessaro demos at Munich always have his basshorns where you had them, and the deep bass wasn't convincing when I listened in 2016. So re time delay etc, I get it. But to have sub bass radiating so close to where you sit...that's hard to imagine.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing