AYRE DPS Turntable

fjn04

Oct 31, 2014
I'm thinking about this turntable, but there are VERY few dealers who have the table. Other
than Art Dudleys review, there hasn't been much of anything I can find on it. Does anyone have
any experience with this, or even the DPS table before Ayre was involved.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Where do u live? My dealer in Austin has sold a few...

fjn04

Oct 31, 2014
I'm in NY, but would likely be boarding a plane to hear it anyway. It seems like this table hasn't caught on, which is
not to say it isn't a great table.

rhbblb1

May 4, 2010
I have a DPS 3 that I purchased before Ayre took over. I have a Schroeder tonearm and Allaerts Formula 1 cartridge. I live about an hour from Atlanta.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have a DPS 3 that I purchased before Ayre took over. I have a Schroeder tonearm and Allaerts Formula 1 cartridge. I live about an hour from Atlanta.

What a sweet combination !! I have a Schroeder LT arm...with a Lyra Atlas, but I also own a Allaerts MC2 Finish. I dearly love the Allaerts, but need a bit more gain from my phono stage. What phono stage are you using with your Allaerts? I know your Formula is even lower output...Thanks.

fjn04

Oct 31, 2014
I have a Shindo setup, and have always been intrigued by going Idler, like a 310 or 401. I have always liked the drive
and control of the Shindo/Garrard whenever I have heard it. However, the Shindo is out of my $ range, and I've can't
quite get up the courage to start up in that direction. At the moment, the Luxman PD 171 AL is the front runner. I will
be hearing that very soon. Their new AL (armless) version allows quite a few arm options. I may step it up and seek
out a listen to the DPS though. I am hoping to land with something that will give me the dynamics and drive that will
get close to an Idler. I think to expect it to be equal isn't quite realistic. Just to put price in to perspective, the Luxman
by itself is $6500, while the Ayre/DPS is $9,000. Of course with Lux I could start up with a Jelco SA-750. I have heard
one other contender, and that was the Dr. Feickert Woodpecker. I thought is was quite good, but I want to hear a couple
of more setups.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sam (Mullard88) has been using these tables for a long time now. He has two of them and uses both. I hope he's lurking. These are tables I like very much. I like the fact that they are compact too.

rhbblb1

May 4, 2010
What a sweet combination !! I have a Schroeder LT arm...with a Lyra Atlas, but I also own a Allaerts MC2 Finish. I dearly love the Allaerts, but need a bit more gain from my phono stage. What phono stage are you using with your Allaerts? I know your Formula is even lower output...Thanks.

I had a Tron 7 Reference phono stage made specifically to match the recommended characteristics of the Allaerts cartridge.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I'm thinking about this turntable, but there are VERY few dealers who have the table. Other
than Art Dudleys review, there hasn't been much of anything I can find on it. Does anyone have
any experience with this, or even the DPS table before Ayre was involved.

I have heard it a number of times at a friend's house and it's a really good table; I was between it and the VPI I eventually bought, but only because I had to have an outboard motor in order to isolate it my way, and perform other modifications I eventually did. I think you will be elated with it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing