Bakoon Amp-41R and 51R integrated amps using SATRI circuit

transience

May 1, 2021
A friendly fellow visited me to hear my Zu Definitions 4 based system, and his positive experience means he's adding Druids 6 to a shortlist of spkrs he's considering, headed by Wolf Von Langa Son field coils.

The Zus are 101dB 16 Ohms, the Sons 95dB 8 Ohms. He will be listening in a standard living space maybe a little smaller than 18x12.

I've recommended the Bakoon 13R and 41R to him, 25W and 50W. He's also looking at the flagship Vinnie Rossi 100W DHT/SS hybrid. LTA 50W integrated and Pass Labs 45W on Icon Audio AVC also contenders.

Any thoughts especially on Bakoon powering the WVL Sons, or Zu Druids?
I have been partnering the WvL Son speakers with an SA Lab Thunderbird SE (25wpc into 8ohms) in a large one room loft space (about 1500 sq ft) to what I at least feel is superb effect. My digital source, a Tron Atlantic DAC, has rather low gain into the modestly insensitive SA Lab input, and even still I have plenty of headroom.

As such, I suspect the Bakoon 13r would be amply powerful for them.

Reactions: gestalt

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I am still amazed by the incorporation of SATRI circuitry which amplifies the current and not voltage.
Can you run the Bakoon 41 as just an amp? (disable the preamp/volume control)
Their website does not mention much. Cannot see any switch on the Bakoon 41. Perhaps you have an option to bypass it through the remote, but could not find the manual.

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Can you run the Bakoon 41 as just an amp? (disable the preamp/volume control)

Not the best decision, IMHO, because the Bakoon amps are variable gain amplifiers, not integrated amplifiers. Their volume control implementation is as close to "no volume control" as possible. You'll be adding an extra stage (at best) and losing resolution doing it.

vert

Oct 26, 2015
Has anyone tried replacing the stock fuse in the amp 41?

I had both the QSA Yellow and SR Purple, and after the fuse break-in period, the amp sounded washed out.

I put the stock fuse back in, and everything sounded good again.

So there's something about the after market fuses the amp doesn't play well with in the long run.

vert

Oct 26, 2015
200 hours for the SR purple.

I think the amp runs too hot for these aftermarket fuses.

The label actually came off the Purple fuse.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That amp is really hot stuff.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
200 hours for the SR purple.

I think the amp runs too hot for these aftermarket fuses.

The label actually came off the Purple fuse.
I think in that case it may not be the best idea. On the other hand, too hot is hard to define, some amps are meant to generate heat.

vert

Oct 26, 2015
The amp designer is Korean.

I gave my amp-41 its own dedicated line, not shared with any other component.

And wow it woke up.

So we don’t even know what a component is truly capable of unless we have the right ancillary things in place.

Jono

Oct 27, 2017
The SATRI circuit design and development is not Korean.It is all a product of Bakoon Japan.The Korean made amps are basically just the Bakoon Japan circuit designs made under license .It is a bit like what Mercedes does with the Nissan Navara.The Japanese Bakoons appear to be much better value to me but I can see why some people might prefer the aesthetics and build quality of the Korean versions.

Low325

May 2, 2021
@vert - good to see another bakoon owner on the board. I have yet to get a dedicated circuit to my Hifi..the wife doesnt want any unsightly conduit outside our home, and it’s that much harder to find a contractor to hide it slick inside the home. Grrr…

@Jono - agree. It was aesthetically more pleasing to me to obtain Bakoon International amps, and there was a remote. A little creature comfort goes a long way.

Low325

May 2, 2021
A new AMP 54R was just announced in prototype form. The design itself has always turned my head.
Time will tell what sort of strides were made to ensure the SQ is taken to a new level and most importantly accepted by the high tables ;-)

Low325

May 2, 2021
Amazing design. Looks like it’s floating with the flat power supply as a foot.

Reactions: Hyperion

vert

Oct 26, 2015
I used a DAC-21 with HPA-21, and then with an amp-41 happily for many years.

I sold the DAC-21 and went on a long DAC journey . . Merason DAC1, Modwright CXN, Audiomat Maestro 3 Ref.

I came back to the DAC-21, upgraded my streamer to an Aurender N20.

DAC-21 + amp 41 sound better than ever today.

It’s the synergy between the two, and the DAC-21 is just musically right.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing