Bespoke Audio TVC Passive Preamp - An Unassuming Star

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Check that the pre doesn't have a +6dB switch somewhere - quite a few of them do.

Re: other issues - you might just have to accept that in your system, active pre's are better than passive. The D1 Driver may help, but at the expense of system complexity etc.

I've spent plenty of time with passives and there is a lot to admire in what they can achieve, but in my system at least, adding the right pre brought a certain magic that I couldn't find with a passive, even when a D1 Driver was added.

Without disagreeing an active pre-amp may be a better match for whatever reason, for example with the Heisenberg power amps the matching Stern pre-amplifier is simply a "must have", the Bespoke does behave different to "standard TVCs".

See here for example:

https://audio-creative.nl/recensie-2/the-bespoke-audio-company-tvc-preamplifier/

The frequency response measures identical into a 10, 50 or 100K load, even a 300 Ohm load which you wouldn't find in any power amplifier afaik is ok though at -1dB (light green line in the first graph on that page. -3dB at 100KHz and a well damped 160KHz resonance. THD+N is below -130dB, the 50Hz peak is due to transformer hum from surrounding equipment, so it;s practically at -140dB.

The Allegri reference is an autoformer, not a TVC, all FWIW..

Reactions: ihmeyers

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
Hello Emile,
My ordered pair of xlr Totaldac Drivers will arrive this week.
I have to burn-in them before telling you reliably the performance of Bespoke Ultimate Silver + Totaldac Drivers + MSB Select DAC.
;)

Based on CK's recommendation I ordered a D1 from Vincent today to use with my Townshend Allegri Reference passive preamp. Hopefully it will make a big difference in my system. :)

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Vincent shipped it very quickly. It should be here Monday. He suggested I try it first after the Lampi TRP before the Townshend. Are the RCAs better choices for output? I thought the D1 wasn't true balanced. I'm debating getting another pair of ICs too and didn't know whether to get RCA or XLR. My Lampi is only RCA out.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Came today. Thanks UPS for two day delay. Just so/so right out of the box. I assume it needs both warm-up and break-in. I think it's going to work best after the preamp. After the Lampi before the Townshend it didn't sound good at all.

Nice looking unit, solidly built and well-packed by Vincent. :)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Came today. Thanks UPS for two day delay. Just so/so right out of the box. I assume it needs both warm-up and break-in. I think it's going to work best after the preamp. After the Lampi before the Townshend it didn't sound good at all.

Nice looking unit, solidly built and well-packed by Vincent. :)
Its Livepower PSU takes long time to burn-in.
Please be patient.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Thank you CK. How long is a long time, more than a week? Did yours sound not so terrific right out of the box?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thank you CK. How long is a long time, more than a week? Did yours sound not so terrific right out of the box?
A few weeks even not turned off.
Then an obvious transformation.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Is it meant to be left on all the time? My unit did not come with instructions. Generally speaking I always leave power supplies on.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I keep mine always on.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Been playing for about 6 straight days. Plugged in since I purchased it.

The sound had opened up and became more dynamic the past 3 days. Today though it sounded transparent but soft. Recording I knew that sounded like I was sitting close to the stage now sound more mid hall without any increase in depth. Could be that the system is tired. I have had that happen when things play for close to a week. Usually I leave it off for a day or so.

I am assuming the D1 is still not fully broken in since CKKeung said the power supply needs at least 30 days. I'm hoping it will continue to improve.

Reactions: advanced101

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Has anyone compared the Bespoke to an EMIA Elmaformer?

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Is Bespoke Audio in anyway connected to Music First Audio? I've got the Baby Reference V2 Passive Pre amp from Music First Audio and they look kinda similar. Their companies are only 13 miles apart also it seems...

1a MFA BRV2_1.jpg

1a MFA BRV2_2.jpg

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
fabrication quality of the Bespoke is like a jewel, I cannot qualify MFA like that, and this with all respect. I compared both at home, and really with the Bespoke you enter into another world made of great silence, a complete absence that let the place to the music. For sure, it will be my last preamp. The only one could substitute is the Nagra HD, but four times the price, so out of budget.

Reactions: CKKeung

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
I wasn't comparing build or sound quality. I just asked because the front and back plate layout looks very similar from both brands and now I know why thanks to KeithR, that's all.

Reactions: Jpspock

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing