Best music software?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Yup. I am now streaming 5.1 channel recordings at 24/96 or DSD via Qobuz/Roon!

OUCH!!

My apologies. I was playing multichannel tracks but, it turns out, they were unfamiliar files from my own Roon library!

I do see multichannel files on Qobuz but, unfortunately, those are for sale and stream only in stereo, afaik.

Last edited:

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Tidal porting through Roon, but used Bubble Upnp to compare Tidal to Qobuz as Roon does not support Qobuz (yet).
Roon.jpg
Roon has released version 1.6 and it DOES support Qobuz! It was released end January I believe. I have been a fan of Tidal from the start, porting it first through Audirvana+ 1.6-3, then later switched to Roon at release 1.4. That was to my ears, when Roon started to beat the rest of the players.

I have only signed up for Qobuz today, but digging around in the catalogue it does seem to have more 24 bit 44.1 files where Tidal still has 16 bit 44.1. And pretty much matches or surpasses Tidal when it has MQA versions offering 24 bit 96K+. Qobus doesn't do MQA. But on Tidal and using a non MQA DAC you get 48K or 88K, sometimes 96K 24 bit on Tidal. And in those cases Qobuz seems to beat it with higher rates.

In Roon you can search titles, and it gives you a logo if it has hi-res. If you then go into the album, you can view the available versions and bit rate / depth.

No clicks or problems so far either. I am on fibre optical 100 meg, but use WiFi. I am going to run 2 ethernet cables in a week or so, and kill WiFi use.

So very impressed so far. After I have used up my free month demo, I will go for the year subscription, as it save 2 months fees AND you get the option to download (buy) any albums or tracks inc Hi-Res versions at 50% off.

Tidal need to watch out.......

qobuz.jpg

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Yup. I am now streaming 5.1 channel recordings at 24/96 or DSD via Qobuz/Roon!

OUCH!!

My apologies. I was playing multichannel tracks but, it turns out, they were unfamiliar files from my own Roon library!

I do see multichannel files on Qobuz but, unfortunately, those are for sale and stream only in stereo, afaik.

UPDATE: I have found 36 multichannel albums on Qobuz and can play them via Roon. Unfortunately, for me, I have all of those that I want. Still, there is reason for hope that Qobuz will make more available.

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
I have been streaming Quboz albeit with components taken from a secondary system while I finalize some decisions on a few components and am enjoying much more than Tidal.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Not just Tidal but HDTracks and the likes. Whether you are planning on only streaming or if you have a Sublime+ and download @ 1/2 price...either way I see things changing.
Yes I agree. I always thought HD tracks was too expensive, and there catalogue is B stuff, most of the prime music is not on there.

Number9

Oct 15, 2018
Yeah...whenever I would look for an album to download on HDt I could usually find the same for less on other sites even after applicable coupons. Plus I always have a difficult time listening to demo tracks on HDt using my iPad.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
JRiver Rules?

I was not aware that JRiver would seamlessly integrate my existing library with Qobuz and/or Tidal. I did use Jriver on my first music server but Roon, at least for my use and ears, is a far better solution. I use the SGC i5 CDR to run Roon Core and it provides 2T of storage (which I use as backup of my music stored on my NAS) ... and priced at an amazing $1195 !!!! Roon has so changed my music listening habits and enjoyment.

I have just changed from Tidal to Qobuz for a couple of reasons. (1) I am not a "believer" in MQA (and that is a massive understatement) as I prefer the "real deal"; (2) Way too much "JayZ and Friends" genre of music pushed in my face.

So far, I am way more than satisfied !!

Reactions: asiufy

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
JRiver Rules?

I was not aware that JRiver would seamlessly integrate my existing library with Qobuz and/or Tidal. I did use Jriver on my first music server but Roon, at least for my use and ears, is a far better solution. I use the SGC i5 CDR to run Roon Core and it provides 2T of storage (which I use as backup of my music stored on my NAS)

I have just changed for Tidal to Qobuz for a couple of reasons. (1) I am not a "believer" in MQA (and that is a massive understatement) and prefer the "real deal"; (2) Way too much "JayZ and Friends" genre of music pushed in my face.

So far, I am way more than satisfied !!
Well I have 16tb and dont really rely on streaming. Jriver plays ISO files and is much less a resource hog than Roon. on top, I have Memory Player software suite as my setup architecture. JRiver has BODY. love it.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Koegz

Oct 29, 2016
systems.audiogon.com
I have used JRivers for more the 10yrs and 3 upgraded music servers. I still have my last one. Sound quality as good as Roon. Simplicity of use Roon slight lead. Cost JR much cheaper. Sticking with Roon. In the end ease and flexibility can’t be beat. I also dropped tidal and took yr of Quboz. Mostly because I can’t stand Kanye West. Now my dac take MQA. Felt Sound was pretty close. Quobuz falls short on some indie music. Qobuz pay full yr at once same cost as Tidal.
If your happy with JR just listen to music. Can’t go wrong.
??peace Drive a BEV ?? nothing like it.

Last edited:

Koegz

Oct 29, 2016
systems.audiogon.com
Once you get the hang of Roon it is “easy peasy”(That should give you an idea of how old I am). You have to look at Roon differently. Roon is the organizer of apps, players. Radio and streaming. JR is a player. Roon is how and what you choose to play. It’s the remote control. Roon is your personal search engine of tidal, Qobuz, your naz, your music server. Roon=Google without the selling of your personal info. Expensive but I truly enjoy it.??

Reactions: christoph

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Best music SW is a bit of an open question, do you mean ease of use? Sound quality? Price to value ratio? For SQ the best IME is HQPlayer solo (w/o fed via Roon). Best in terms of GUI / ease of use is probably Roon, but it's expensive.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Roon is your personal search engine of tidal, Qobuz, your naz, your music server.
Really? Browsing is OK but searching is painful.
Roon=Google without the selling of your personal info.
Excellent analogy! Google searches are filtered through their own algorithms and more than often return irrelevancies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing