Best of 2013 Rock & Pop LPs

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
2013 had many very good releases with a few standouts. A few caveats, I don't do rap or hip-hop. I tried but don't get My Bloody Valentine, Vampire Weekend or Arcade Fire. 'Get Lucky' is probably the year's best single (it's certainly the catchiest) but the rest of the Daft Punk album didn't do it for me (although it is well recorded).

Vinyl grades are Performance/Sound Quality.

Bombino "Nomad" (Nonesuch) -- Borderline A-/B+
Produced by Dan Auerbach who gives it the Black Keys sonic treatment, this is the most pleasant surprise of the year for me. Thanks to Andre Marc for pointing this one out.

Charles Bradley "Victim of Love" (Daptone) -- A-/B
Follow up to his debut "No Time For Dreaming" released when he was 63 years old. Best R&B record of the year.

Deerhunter "Monomania" (4AD) -- B+/B
Harder edged and not as consistent as either 2010's "Halcyon Digest" or Bradford Cox/Atlas Sound "Parallax". 'Leather Jacket II' and 'Dream Captain' are killer tracks

Sallie Ford "Untamed Beast" (Partisan) --Borderline B+/B
On her sophmore release Sallie and her band The Sound Outside bring back their modern take on rockabilly. She's disturbed, she's angry, she's horny -- you've been warned.

Jacco Gardner "Cabinet of Curiosities" (Trouble In Mind Records) -- Borderline A-/B+
Debut LP by 21 year old multi instrumentalist from the Netherlands. He has absorbed the psychedalia of the 60's and puts a modern spin on it (think Donovan and The Zombies). 'Clear The Air' and 'Puppets Dangling' are standout tracks. Runs a bit long. Can't wait to hear what he does next.

Valerie June "Pushin' Against a Stone" (Sunday Best) -- B++/C
Beautiful southern dynamo with killer combo of blues/folk/gospel/country. Think an (very) edgy Cassandra Wilson. Vivacious live performer. Did I mention she's gorgeous? My vinyl is borderline quality sound, suffering with inner groove distortion.

Los Lobos "Disconnected in New York City" (429 Records) -- A/A
I've been a Los Lobos fan since I saw them in a dive bar in Kansas City before they released their break-out LP "How Will The Wolf Survive" They are celebrating their 40th! anniversary and remain one of our greatest bands. If you've never seen 'em live in concert this give you a taste (but it's worth every penny to see them in person). Possibly the best sounding recording of the year.

Kacey Musgraves "Same Trailer, Different Park" (Mercury) -- A/Borderline A-
The new country music 'it' girl. Well crafted songs that show off a superior singing voice. The LP title tells you she's got a sense of humor. Well recorded. Just got this one but already a favorite.

The National "Trouble Will Find Me" (4AD) -- A/A-
Like every release by The National, this one grows on you with repeated listens. Consistently excellent, although it drags just a bit on side 4. Not quite the materpiece of 'High Violet' but one of year's best. 'Demons' is one of the year's best tracks.

Omaha Diner (Omaha Diner) -- A-/B
Skerik et. al. only play covers of #1 hits. Highlights include 'Thrift Shop', 'Lose Yourself', & 'Wishing Well'. Recorded in mono and sonics are much better with my dedicated mono set up. 'Another One Bites The Dust' is the only dud and drops their grade.

The Orange Peels "Sun Moon" (Mystery Lawn Music) --Borderline A-/Weak B+
Jangly guitar driven pop. Wears well with repeated listens.

The Parlez "Glisten" (Feedbands) --A-/B+
One of the highlights of my Feedbands subscription. The Irish brother duo's debut LP is a wonderful pop release with echos of Oasis and the Beatles. Worth seeking out.

Phospohorescent "Muchacho" (Dead Oceans) -- A/Boarderline B
Ho hum, another great album from Matthew Houck. First side is a little stronger than the second. 'Ride On/Right On' is one of the year's best singles. Wish he paid more attention to recording quality although this one sounds better than 'Here's To Taking It Easy' (which is the sonic equivalent of high jumping a pancake).

Psychic Ills "One Track Mind" (Sacred Bones) -- Borderline A-/B
These guys have been building a cult following in New York for a decade. 'One More Time' is a great single.

Kurt Vile "Wakin' On a Pretty Daze" (Matador) --A/A-A+
Formerly in the War On Drugs, a seemingly more mature Kurt and his backing band the Violators really hit their laconic stride. A much more consistent LP than the previous 'Smoke Ring for My Halo'. Excellent sonics and one of the years best LPs. Spark one up and enjoy.

Just received David Bowie "Another Day", Elton John "The Diving Board", Caitlin Rose "The Stand In", , all promising on first listen but not familiar enough to assign a grade. I'll reserve the right to make changes ;)

Hope people join in and list their favorites (Hint: a shameless plug for new music ideas)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing