Best phono stage?

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Mahler's 3rd Symphony. An opulent journey through the Alps, we heard yesterday with the combination NAGRA preamp and the new Audio Specials Phonolab 1.5. The decision to connect the tone arm via XLR was absolutely right. The innovation of the 1.5 compared to its predecessor 1.0, are the additional balanced inputs with ferrites (sheath current filters) in the input. Absolutely noise- and hum-free. A dynamic, that makes the mountain world appear with a sublimity before us, as Mahler must have felt. Everything that comes to mind is touching.

Attachments

• _DSC0479_1.jpg
    _DSC0479_1.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: audioquest4life

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Interesting. Is this product only available in Germany for now? Don’t see anything in the U.S. about this phono amp.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Mahler's 3rd Symphony. An opulent journey through the Alps, we heard yesterday with the combination NAGRA preamp and the new Audio Specials Phonolab 1.5. The decision to connect the tone arm via XLR was absolutely right. The innovation of the 1.5 compared to its predecessor 1.0, are the additional balanced inputs with ferrites (sheath current filters) in the input. Absolutely noise- and hum-free. A dynamic, that makes the mountain world appear with a sublimity before us, as Mahler must have felt. Everything that comes to mind is touching.

Which performance and pressing?

Reactions: gian60

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Interesting. Is this product only available in Germany for now? Don’t see anything in the U.S. about this phono amp.
In the US, Solypsa Audio sells the AS Phonolabs. Solypsa Audio
Manufacturing and selling in Germany is www.Audiospecials.de . They offer a Testcase with the Phonolab 1.5 to try out in in private Hifi conditions for free. The only honest way to be sure if it fits with your gear.More Informations under info@audiospecials.de.

The Mahler Symphonie was from Japan Records. I will find out the exactly Record soon.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Have the 1.0 with balanced inputs ready to demo :). Can also install the remote volume if demoed in an analog-only rig fyi

1.5 in the works...

ArnoFenn

Oct 28, 2020
For me it's an RCL based phono-pre, hashimoto inductors/transformers and a separated power suplly. Smooth, stressless, dynamic IMG_3272.jpg IMG_3273.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What are you using for your LCR, and what's the impedance?

ArnoFenn

Oct 28, 2020
What are you using for your LCR, and what's the impedance?
First part of the question is not clear to me since there are a lot of components used in it. Second part, I assume you are referring to the filtering impedance of the design? If so, this is 600 ohm.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
First part of the question is not clear to me since there are a lot of components used in it. Second part, I assume you are referring to the filtering impedance of the design? If so, this is 600 ohm.

Yes, 600 ohms was what the tango riaa and the clone (steve and bellington) used. Thomas mayer, thoersten loesch, used the tango in his phonos till it became unavailable. The impedance of all those was a constant 600 ohm. Leif used the S&B back in 2005.

My question was are you using an off the shelf riaa like the S&B?

ArnoFenn

Oct 28, 2020
It is not off the shelf, single components, 2 years of development, measurements, listening and optimisation ;-), but worth it

Reactions: bonzo75

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
Most of the ready made LCR modules are a compromise anyway. Even the ones from Tango. Would I want capacitors from a transformer company? I don't think so. The size of the modules alone precludes the use of nice caps.

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
I suppose some of you have had problems with hum. In spite of MCIntosh amplifiers hum interferences may be a problem.
Surprisingly, hum is no longer an issue since this set up got the AS Phonolab 1.5, which now runs in balanced mode. May be, it is related also to the special AS Connectors with Sheath current filtering.

DSCF0170_1.jpg DSCF0175_2.jpg

But now there is complete silence. Especially when recording classical music in quiet places it is very impressive how sound carpets slowly build up from complete blackness. The old phono stage, on the other hand, fell off very clearly. The Audiospecials Phonolab matches fantastic with the Transrotor Rondino.

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I suppose some of you have had problems with hum. In spite of MCIntosh amplifiers hum interferences may be a problem.
Surprisingly, hum is no longer an issue since this set up got the AS Phonolab 1.5, which now runs in balanced mode. May be, it is related also to the special AS Connectors with Sheath current filtering.

View attachment 72184 View attachment 72185

But now there is complete silence. Especially when recording classical music in quiet places it is very impressive how sound carpets slowly build up from complete blackness. The old phono stage, on the other hand, fell off very clearly. The Audiospecials Phonolab matches fantastic with the Transrotor Rondino.
Did you use balanced outputs to the Mac? If so did you prefer 775mv or 1.55v setting?

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Did you use balanced outputs to the Mac? If so did you prefer 775mv or 1.55v setting?
Yes, the balanced out put was used with XLR. Output 775 mV. Gain 68dB.
For the best range of the MAC Volume control. The output transformer was set to 1:1.
Setting to 1:2, is + 6dB ( 74dB) Gain is also possible.Some Cartridges with ultra low output love it.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
If you are running balanced, hum really shouldn't be an issue, and there's no need for special connectors or shielding if the tonearm interconnect cable is built properly (twisted pair within a shield, with low capacitance). XLR connectors work extremely well.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Yes, 600 ohms was what the tango riaa and the clone (steve and bellington) used. Thomas mayer, thoersten loesch, used the tango in his phonos till it became unavailable. The impedance of all those was a constant 600 ohm. Leif used the S&B back in 2005.
It was already some time ago, but I remember that Thorsten did use tango in his phonos.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing