Best power cord goes where when using an AC regenerator?

Antoine

Jun 17, 2013
The Netherlands
Hi all,

If everything goes according to plan I should receive a Shunyata Alpha HC power cord today. Currently I already have an Alpha Digital connected to my Devialet D250 Expert Pro CI (integrated stereo amp, dac). I was thinking about using the HC either between the Devialet and my PS Audio Power Plant or between the wall and the PS Audio. Currently there’s a Lessloss DFPC Signature between the wall and the Power Plant.

So these are the options:

Wall - Alpha HC - Power Plant - Alpha Digital - D250
Wall - Alpha Digital - Power Plant - Alpha HC - D250

I’ve seen Shunyata write more than once that one should use the best power cord on the power strip. That way all connected devices benefit which makes a lot of sense but considering the Power Plant is a regenerator I’m thinking maybe I should use it on the Devialet. Somehow, in my head, this ‘feels better’.

Of course I could test this but perhaps anyone here tested it before or has some suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any insights!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My instinct says Option 1 as regenerators, in my mind, are amps too. Of course I could be totally wrong about where the most benefit lies. With my Stromtanks running off grid when I listen this doesn't apply to me.

I dig your VR-5 Annies by the way Antoine. :)

Reactions: Antoine

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I would suggest 2 spots to compare (based on my experience...which could easily be system specific):

- WALL TO REGENERATOR (in my case AC Conditioner)
- REGENERATOR to PREAMP

This is simply my own experience...and interestingly, my preamp was historically NOT sensitive to changes in cables relative to stock (which is very good). But in the end, i found it was quite a good place for the best power cables along with the one before the Burmester 948.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Get rid of the regenerator stuff, and replace it with Shunyata power conditioners. Why handicap your Shunyata power cords?

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
I'm late to this party, yet again.
In contrast to what our more "well-heeled" members are saying, if one is using a PS Audio Power Plant of any generation, and cannot afford the whole Triton/Typhon/Typhoon Mary approach, a Shunyata ZiTron cable ( but no lower than a ZiTron Cobra, y'hear??? And a ZiTron Python? Even better!!) will cause a disproportionate jump in the system quality until such time as you can afford the whole Triton/Typhon setup.
BUT. You will also need the best speaker cables (Python ZiTron/Anaconda ZiTron will do nicely), so you can hear what the power cords are doing. Lesser speaker cables will dilute the magnificence waiting in the wings.

Last edited:

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
You should try it in all positions suggested and see what you prefer, it's your system to your taste. Saying that, I have heard most benefit feeding a preamplifier, then DAC.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
You should try it and use it in the location that sounds best to you.

I use a regenerator, which to me is more important than power cables.

Crashem

Dec 21, 2015
I would be using the XC line from the wall to the power regenerator.

Slightly off topic, I hear people recommend using this or that power conditioner instead of a power regenerator. Personally, I think this is often bad advice. Regenerators solve a completely different problem than power conditioner which is issues around inconsistent power. No conditioner is going to make widely varying voltage, as an example, suddenly normal. Whether or not a power conditioner or regenerator would make a bigger difference to your system would be entirely system/location dependent. Personally, I run a regenerator. I am in process of adding Shunyata's Everest for power conditioning. I will likely run the Everest after the regenerator and try directly from the wall. Some will argue that the regenerator could restrict current to the Everest. So to me the audio "calculus" will be the gains of the regenerator vs any loss of immediate current availability. Sadly, it will probably be a bit complicated as my power inconsistency changes throughout the day.

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
I'm no engineer, but your solution sounds logical to me. From watching voltage "sags" on my ASL Hurricanes' readout meters, and remembering conversations with Harry Pearson about the difference in sound (and lets face it: the man had ears!), overlooking a constant voltage, especially with tubes, would seem to be foolish, after all Harry wrote about what he heard when he listened. And I suppose it could be location dependent, but from my own testing on two coasts, that's NOT the case.
If people want to argue with you, the simplest question is: have you actually done it and have results, or are you speculating? I found many people took the path of speculation back in the "old days" (i.e. how "WATTS were NOT worth their asking price." Well, I had them( from 1986 on to 1993) and "speculation" went from "what an insulting price" to "Wow, you have them? Could I hear them???!?")
Speculation is not worth the time it takes to form thoughts. I know on one forum, a member disparaged the Hana ML simply because of its "separation" figures, as though that would tell you how close to live music it could approach. I'm blunt: that was as stupid a comment as I'd read, especially since he'd never heard it. (I had it). AND, I have a Clearaduio as well, so I'm exactly having to guess at comparisons. (He was.)
You have the option to hear both "with" and "without" and if you know live music, no one , no even a manufacturer, can tell you that his product - minus whatever you have inserted into the system - sound less/more like live music. Unless, that is, he's heard the ACTUAL combination himself. (Not to mention, how many manufacturers go to live concerts at all.) Back in the '80s, it was astounding how few manufacturers actually atttended symphonic (and unamplified) concerts.
For that matter, how rare it is to see someone mention on these boards that their system sounds like Boston Syphony Hall, Carnegie, David Geffen (the old Avery Fisher), The Metropolitan Opera, Disney or Davies Hall, Troy Bank or any other hall. Music can sound great without ever sounding the way it sounds when you hear it LIVE. (And especially if "LIVE" was never your reference.)
Experiment. And then post!

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
I've owned several big-name power conditioners over the past 10 years or, and now a PS Audio P12 unit for my front end gear only. It does so much more than a power conditioner/filter. There is no added downsides, no brightness or bloat, it regulates the AC, and this is huge, and I'll tell you why, with the PS Audio you can set the outgoing voltage, my incoming AC runs 122-123, I have the outgoing set at 120 volts. One day for fun I matched the incoming voltage of 123, my system sound changed from open and transparent to overly warm with fat bass, I then went back to 120 volts and things sounded balanced again, then I changed the outgoing voltage to 117, then sound thinned out. So when we talk that our systems sound different at times and days, and I've heard it in the past, having played with adjusting the voltage my gear see I was able to duplicate what I've heard my system sound like when plugged into the wall and many AC conditioners and now I know why. PS Audio Regenorators do what they claim to do and then some. They really thought this out well. I still have a Furman Reference 20i, which beat or did as well as the Audiophile ones with their over the top hype. But it no PS Audio. It's great for my A/V system though and it is well designed for the professional pro-market.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
I've owned several big-name power conditioners over the past 10 years or, and now a PS Audio P12 unit for my front end gear only. It does so much more than a power conditioner/filter. There is no added downsides, no brightness or bloat, it regulates the AC, and this is huge, and I'll tell you why, with the PS Audio you can set the outgoing voltage, my incoming AC runs 122-123, I have the outgoing set at 120 volts. One day for fun I matched the incoming voltage of 123, my system sound changed from open and transparent to overly warm with fat bass, I then went back to 120 volts and things sounded balanced again, then I changed the outgoing voltage to 117, then sound thinned out. So when we talk that our systems sound different at times and days, and I've heard it in the past, having played with adjusting the voltage my gear see I was able to duplicate what I've heard my system sound like when plugged into the wall and many AC conditioners and now I know why. PS Audio Regenorators do what they claim to do and then some. They really thought this out well. I still have a Furman Reference 20i, which beat or did as well as the Audiophile ones with their over the top hype. But it no PS Audio. It's great for my A/V system though and it is well designed for the professional pro-market.

Exactly, my experience^
As to downsides, I’d also add to above ‘no loss of dynamics’—with voltage regulated and stabilized, I sense some gain in that area instead.
And best thing is they’re built to last..
Been using/still, their original monstrous PP1200 from late ‘90s, and the only thing ever need changing was its cooling fan, that with them on and loaded 24/7 for the past 20++ years!
Added a PP Premier for A/V (15yrs ago), and later a P10 (10yrs+), same, zero problem.

To OP, ime, the Shunyata HC lines are great match for PS regenerators bettering some renown brands higher priced offerings. Tried their NR series, smoother but prefer the rawer hence more natural presentation of the HC in this >PSA application, almost felt like double filtering with the former. But for ‘after’ PSA> use, the NR are quite notably superior.

Currently using old Sigma Zitron HCs from wall (dedicated 20amp lines) into my PSAs, happily.

*Here’s hoping Shunyata look into this segment of the market as well. Preferably a ‘one’ unit approach/solution that does it all—regenerate/stabilize/filter/condition.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing