Most beneficial Cable

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
I currently have a Shunyata Alpha -HC power Cable powering my Audio Research REF75 SE amplifier. I also have a pair of Shunyata Black Mambas powering my 2 REL Subs. My REF6 preamp is connected using an older Cardas cable I had laying around (forget the name, but it was about a 400$ cable), and someone modded it to accommodate the C19 connector required for the ARC pre. My Lumin network player is connected with a Shunyata Analog power cable (I think its called Alpha as well, but can't see into the abyss to get a good look.) Frankly I'm not sure why I have a Shunyata analog cable. My question is; Should i replace the the Lumin cable (analogue) to a digital cable first, or, should I replace the Cardass cable to the preamp first. Which will give me better results. Thanks.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Seems like your amps are set. It's hard to say, I usually say source first, but your preamp may like it more. The only real diff with a digital vs analog power cord is the digital has more filtering. You might try just flipping these two power cords first.

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
Hard to say, you'll just have to say borrow a new quality cable and swap each one out and find out

Audio 1

Jul 18, 2022
Naples, FL
I currently have a Shunyata Alpha -HC power Cable powering my Audio Research REF75 SE amplifier. I also have a pair of Shunyata Black Mambas powering my 2 REL Subs. My REF6 preamp is connected using an older Cardas cable I had laying around (forget the name, but it was about a 400$ cable), and someone modded it to accommodate the C19 connector required for the ARC pre. My Lumin network player is connected with a Shunyata Analog power cable (I think its called Alpha as well, but can't see into the abyss to get a good look.) Frankly I'm not sure why I have a Shunyata analog cable. My question is; Should i replace the the Lumin cable (analogue) to a digital cable first, or, should I replace the Cardass cable to the preamp first. Which will give me better results. Thanks.
What is distributing the power to your equipment ..... do you have a dedicated line, use a power conditioner or outlet extender?

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
What is distributing the power to your equipment ..... do you have a dedicated line, use a power conditioner or outlet extender?
Dedicated lines to music room. Furutech receptacles. Puritan Labs Conditioner, with their upgraded power cord, and grounding device. I wan to stay in the Shunyata line of cables, but was hoping to get a clearer idea of where to go first. Thanks for the reply.

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
A side note that's always bothered me a bit, or made it more difficult is; Whenever I move a cable (almost any cable) I find it has a negative impact on the sonics, and usually takes a couple days to return to its old self. I don't know if this is just me, or there's something more to this. It inevitably makes cable swaps difficult for me. I've never read of anyone else noticing this, but is a repeatable phenomenon in my system every time I move a cable.

Last edited:

Anyoldears

May 31, 2023
A side note that's always bothered me a bit, or made it more difficult is; Whenever I move a cable (almost any cable) I find it has a negative impact on the sonics, and usually takes a couple days to return to its old self. I don't know if this is just me, or there's something more to this. It inevitably makes cable swaps difficult for me. I've never read of anyone else noticing this, but is a repeatable phenomenon in my system every time I move a cable.
Actually Ive found the opposite. Unplugging and replugging a cable removes oxidation that has built up over time and can freshen the sound up. If you find that too much, then I reckon one of two things are happening. Either a) you are not used to it sounding so lively, and hence hear the change but it sounds abnormal and dislike it or b) you system is tending to the sharper end of balance either through equipment or other issues such as not sufficient grounding (although sounds like you have that covered) or vibration isolation maybe something like that, and this additional sharpness is pushing it beyond comfort levels.

Or I could be completely wrong, always an option! ;)

I have the Puritan and Ultimate cables. They are hard to beat, I tested them against the starter cable in the Shunyata range (Venom?) and the Puritan Ultimate was far superior IMHO

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
I haven’t noticed changes taking as long as a couple days. Whenever I swap cables, I hear changes over 10 or 15 minutes but things are settled after that. When I compare cables I try to leave them side by side so the actual swap involves as little movement as possible.

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
I heard that effect yesterday; swapped a power cord on my power conditioner and there was quite a change. Today that cable has settled down and sounds a good bit better than the cable it replaced.

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
Actually Ive found the opposite. Unplugging and replugging a cable removes oxidation that has built up over time and can freshen the sound up. If you find that too much, then I reckon one of two things are happening. Either a) you are not used to it sounding so lively, and hence hear the change but it sounds abnormal and dislike it or b) you system is tending to the sharper end of balance either through equipment or other issues such as not sufficient grounding (although sounds like you have that covered) or vibration isolation maybe something like that, and this additional sharpness is pushing it beyond comfort levels.

Or I could be completely wrong, always an option! ;)

I have the Puritan and Ultimate cables. They are hard to beat, I tested them against the starter cable in the Shunyata range (Venom?) and the Puritan Ultimate was far superior IMHO
Interesting observation, but I;m talking about simply moving a cable a few inches without unplugging it.

newmill

Jul 30, 2015
I've also noticed, by some of the replies here, that even though there may be gains to be made by changing to a used cable, it may be worth it to up the anti and get into the NR technology in a newer cable. Any opinions about this and the diminishing returns formula?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Interesting observation, but I;m talking about simply moving a cable a few inches without unplugging it.
Yes moving cables will affect how they sound. Agree with you. I also agree unplugging and replugging helps

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
I just got in (2) Stealth Dream 20-20 power cables to power my Rowland 925 mono amps.
Incredibly fast and dynamic, with that famous Stealth imaging.
(Was previously using Shunyata Sigma power cords on the amps)

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Currently burning in these gems!
Stealth Sakra XLR interconnects....

• Wow
Reactions: MarkusBarkus

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
My observation as well
Shared by many others

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I am also one of the ‘others’. I notice this too. Frustrating for me.
FYI - click on "Cable Break-in" at the "Deep Dive" section of the Cardas website. Among other things there is an explanation of why moving cables changes the sound, and the need for a settling period after you move them.

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
FYI - click on "Cable Break-in" at the "Deep Dive" section of the Cardas website. Among other things there is an explanation of why moving cables changes the sound, and the need for a settling period after you move them.

Thanks for this. Interesting stuff there.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
A side note that's always bothered me a bit, or made it more difficult is; Whenever I move a cable (almost any cable) I find it has a negative impact on the sonics, and usually takes a couple days to return to its old self. I don't know if this is just me, or there's something more to this. <snip>. I've never read of anyone else noticing this, but is a repeatable phenomenon in my system every time I move a cable.
No, it's not just you. It bothers me as well but it is what it is.

Tom

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
No, it's not just you. It bothers me as well but it is what it is.

Tom
Concur,
Certainly happened many times in my system, same is with moving a component

Reactions: Long Live Analog

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing