Best Speaker Direction??

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Sorry, I spaced on providing you with that. Thanks, pdubya for adding!

Also, I'm sure Fred will weigh in since if I'm not mistaken he has direct experience with both versions of the Vox which I do not. For another perspective, you can also read David Grzyb's take on the Alnico driver on HiFi Knights linked below.

Note, SK offers a new upgrade for both models that adds LessLoss Firewalls to the circuit board. Here again, Fred is the man since I believe he has experience with LessLoss x/o board upgrades from his time with Boenicke Audio. US cost for the upgrade is approximately $1700 and is pictured below:

AFW+VOX+-+2.jpeg

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Chorus, how cool. A newly formed trio for info on Sound Kaos - pwubya, Fred, and yours truly:)

Good reading!

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
And yes, of course, I hope others will dive in with more advice on the Vox or any other speakers that might fit the bill.

Just a bit of my own brand of WBF humor, in no way meant to be definitive or dismissive of other voices:)

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
The 3F uses a Tangband driver.
The 3A is a custom Alnico driver I believe furnished by Enivee.
Yes, that is correct. Additionally, the Enviee driver is 1cm larger that the ferrite driver and it has a custom brass basket. There is a further model that has Lessloss cabling and filtering, which takes the Vox even further up the into the realms of nuance, presence and space.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

Chorus

Nov 13, 2017
Phoenix
Gleeds,
Thank you so much for the lead of Soundkaos. Normally I avoid anything Swiss on principle
but they recently took a different position regarding Russia/Ukraine so I am willing to consider it.
The 1st impression visually is that the guys broke off from Boenicke. I am in the Western area.
Anyone have these in Arizona, LA or the Bay Area?

Chorus

Nov 13, 2017
Phoenix
Baze,
I looked at all if Jim's offerings today. He has expanded quite a bit since I last looked in 2019.
The new BePure2 is really exactly what I was thinking I might like. He uses the brands I know and
think I want. Thanks for the reminder.

Chorus

Nov 13, 2017
Phoenix
Fred,

Yes no open Baffle or electrostatic/planars will work for me. I must be too old to find Tekton's appealing
and the owner is no catch either. They will likely have to work at 12-16" from the wall. Difference is in my case
the back walls are not at 90 angles. See picture please.

Attachments

• IMG_0484.jpg
    IMG_0484.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 14

Chorus

Nov 13, 2017
Phoenix
I am fairly new to this forum but I must say I wish I had discovered it
much sooner! Thanks for the good guidance!

Aussienut

Jun 22, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Best Speaker Direction??

I found facing speakers forward works the best!

Sorry Aussie humour.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Best Speaker Direction??

I found facing speakers forward works the best!

Sorry Aussie humour.

It would have been funnier without the apology

Reactions: Aussienut

Aussienut

Jun 22, 2017
Brisbane, Australia

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Have you considered Devore's Gibbon series speakers? They are +90dB sensitive and designed to be placed close to their back wall. They are an easy enough load to both your amp and your back (light, case made out of bamboo)

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Gleeds,
Thank you so much for the lead of Soundkaos. Normally I avoid anything Swiss on principle
but they recently took a different position regarding Russia/Ukraine so I am willing to consider it.
The 1st impression visually is that the guys broke off from Boenicke. I am in the Western area.
Anyone have these in Arizona, LA or the Bay Area?
Other than sharing a country, a penchant for using solid hardwood, and innovative approaches to loudspeaker design SK has no connection to Boenicke. That said it's easy to see why one would conclude that. I should be able to arrange a demo in either SF or just south of LA where we are. I'll make a few calls and DM you to discuss further since it sounds like you will be making a road trip to make it happen:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing