Best Speaker Direction??

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I'm using the 88PB which has an ALPS pot for gain adjustment, and I simply use it to control volume. So no preamp needed. EAR linestages are the pits, but the phonos are really not bad. I've had a lot of EAR gear in the past, and the 88PB phono stage is the only one to survive. :)

These speakers are very cleverly designed. I continue to be impressed.

Chorus

Nov 13, 2017
Phoenix
Baze, Thank you for the initial Gardot album review. I know why you picked that one.
Anymore insights? I wish someone had figured a way to get a pair to Schaumburg.
I had a nice visit to LA anyway.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Thumbs up for me. Keep in mind these are in a small secondary nearfield office system at my house. So if you're considering options with 8" woofers, then I don't think these would compete in bass extension. That said, for desktop, the low end extension these provide is admirable. My demo models also have the AlNiCo wide banders, not the off-the-shelf Tangband divers. In any event, I find them to be a very well rounded speaker. Everything I've said previously still holds true.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I do have one tidbit to add about the Vox 3a, which is that I've noticed the apparent dynamic range of everything seems higher with the Vox 3a vs my current monitors. I'd like to understand why. My current speakers are 2-way 86dB 1W 1m and 8ohm vs the Vox 3a which are 92dB and 4ohm. I'm guessing it has to do with the wide bander and lack of passive crossover in the heart of the midrange. Either way, the macro dynamics I get with the Vox 3a in the (same) system is noticeably improved and this is a big plus!

Reactions: Young Skywalker

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
It may be a little late for a joke, but in reply to the thread title, my recommendation is 'almost always, towards the Listener...' :rolleyes:

Reactions: Aussienut

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing