Bitcoin

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Institutional power can drive prices very effectively... Anyone with very large bags can sway it.
Not if they aren't holding it.

I think what's relevant is how much Bitcoin is available to exchanges.

The 27% drop was arguably caused by https://www.f2pool.com/, a large mining company, dumping huge amounts to the exchanges.

Don't forget much is held in cold wallets, either lost or simply held off exchange.

Bitcoin's market cap is £660 billion. Elon's $1.5 billion is unable to affect the price much in itself. But the NEWS of it probably is, as it is worldwide news.

It's tempting to get carried away with what's happening in America but TBH it is a worldwide phenomenon, though I am not saying the US ins't a significant player.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
One for the resident crypto aficionados / investment professionals / ZH groupies. A modern variation of pin the tail on the donkey - where is this stock heading?

F9A84397-1228-4D92-9387-FE7A970DC3D4.png

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Lets see what the real safe haven is gonna be in the end , gold or bitcoin .
And with the 10 year yield rising as it does ....
2021 could finally be the year this financial house of cards collapses and the fed loses more or less control of the interest rate.
I bet on gold / silver
,I bought some more miners today .
Lets see what happens .
Gold has history on its side .
Although i like the blockchain concept, i understood it requires enourmous amounts of energy to keep it working , so not a green currency

Last edited:

rando

Sep 22, 2019
The Vanguard Encrypto also called “the world’s first functional Bitcoin watch” is our newly launched limited edition. The dial includes a laser-etched QR code for a public wallet address that can be used to deposit Bitcoins and check the balance of the account.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Although i like the blockchain concept, i understood it requires enourmous amounts of energy to keep it working , so not a green currency

Agreed, btc is an environmental disaster that now uses more energy than many small countries and it's going up quickly. It's not sustainable and is a massive human folly imo.

The 1st 3 links from a google search: "bitcoin electricity useage"

Further, the "mining" equipment used is top end computer graphics hardware that also takes massive amounts of resources to manufacture, and is only good enough to profitably mine BTC for under a year, because requirements to mine go up over time, thus electricity and hardware consumption is excessive.

Because of the massive energy requirements BTC is mined mostly in places with cheap or subsidized energy, and it can prevent poor countries citizens from having electricity because it's all used up and paid for by BTC mining.

In a previous post I posted examples of illegal activities BTC is often used for, but that was deemed political and removed. However, if you're interested you can reseacrch this aspect of BTC yourself.

Personally, I think BTC is ethically questionable and shouldn't exist. There are other more efficient options. Making money by doing good and providing value to society is one of my basic beliefs on how the world should work, and that corruption is the source of most of the world's problems.

BTW, if this is political, then so is BTC and this thread needs to be removed...

Reactions: analogsa

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Well, we could talk about alternatives to Bitcoin's model for representing value? People say it has no value, but the resources put into it, including time, are where a lot of value is derived because it adds to the security.

Some think proof of stake is the way to go. Any which way the fact that it is deflationary makes it attractive compared to our shitty fiats.

Bitcoin for illegal activity now is like asking to be caught since it's so trackable.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Privacy coins are for illegal activity but having said that any Bitcoin bought off exchange should be fine, too. Most of that was bought in the early days and much of it is lost. As long as the Blockchain addresses don't map to someone real it's safe.

Now to register on reputable exchanges need a LOT of ID proof.

I suspect privacy coins may be banned. Hold on, though. It's a great way to bribe political figures so maybe not, LOL.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think were gonna get a interesting year in the markets .
The year in which MMT will run aground

Modern Monetary Theory :p.

We ll see how the digital currencys will adapt

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Agreed, btc is an environmental disaster that now uses more energy than many small countries and it's going up quickly. It's not sustainable and is a massive human folly imo.

The 1st 3 links from a google search: "bitcoin electricity useage"

Further, the "mining" equipment used is top end computer graphics hardware that also takes massive amounts of resources to manufacture, and is only good enough to profitably mine BTC for under a year, because requirements to mine go up over time, thus electricity and hardware consumption is excessive.

Because of the massive energy requirements BTC is mined mostly in places with cheap or subsidized energy, and it can prevent poor countries citizens from having electricity because it's all used up and paid for by BTC mining.

In a previous post I posted examples of illegal activities BTC is often used for, but that was deemed political and removed. However, if you're interested you can reseacrch this aspect of BTC yourself.

Personally, I think BTC is ethically questionable and shouldn't exist. There are other more efficient options. Making money by doing good and providing value to society is one of my basic beliefs on how the world should work, and that corruption is the source of most of the world's problems.

BTW, if this is political, then so is BTC and this thread needs to be removed...
If we would all throw our stereo sets in a dumpster, the environment would benefit greatly ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: andromedaaudio

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
If we would all throw our stereo sets in a dumpster, the environment would benefit greatly ;-)

Ok, please send me your equipment for proper disposal! :)

Reactions: andromedaaudio

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It has to be a team effort:p

Good thinking! Get all your friends together and put your components and speakers on a pallet and ship it to me freight. Might as well send me your cars too... :cool:

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Good thinking! Get all your friends together and put your components and speakers on a pallet and ship it to me freight. Might as well send me your cars too... :cool:
I know you mean well! But all this shipping etc. is really bad for the environment as well . Maybe it is better if you start, to show others (please post pics). I mean you started airing your concerns about the environment, not I;). And since I am not a bad guy, you have my permission to buy 1 Bitcoin to compensate for your loss.:)

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I know you mean well! But all this shipping etc. is really bad for the environment as well . Maybe it is better if you start, to show others (please post pics). I mean you started airing your concerns about the environment, not I;). And since I am not a bad guy, you have my permission to buy 1 Bitcoin to compensate for your loss.:)

A bitcoin, awesome!

However, I can't listen to it. I can't eat it. I can't even wipe my a$$ with it! It has absolutely no value whatsoever, does nothing but use up massive amounts of energy and use up massive amounts of computer gear, making the world a worse place for everyone in it.

The things people decide have value to them are often quite strange, and at odds with their own happiness and well-being.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
A bitcoin, awesome!

However, I can't listen to it. I can't eat it. I can't even wipe my a$$ with it! It has absolutely no value whatsoever, does nothing but use up massive amounts of energy and use up massive amounts of computer gear, making the world a worse place for everyone in it.

The things people decide have value to them are often quite strange, and at odds with their own happiness and well-being.
Well, let’s end this by giving people their freedom. One gets a kick of collecting money (and buying bitcoins). The other by escaping the world through music. As Man, we do way more terrible thing to the planet than the Bitcoin digger. None of us is innocent. Not one of us on WBF is a saint thinking only of others. But listening to music is a reasonably innocent way of spending our time on this mortal coil. Damn, it must be Sunday today :rolleyes:. This ends today’s lecture:p. Take care, Dave:).

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Well, let’s end this by giving people their freedom. One gets a kick of collecting money (and buying bitcoins). The other by escaping the world through music. As Man, we do way more terrible thing to the planet than the Bitcoin digger. None of us is innocent. Not one of us on WBF is a saint thinking only of others. But listening to music is a reasonably innocent way of spending our time on this mortal coil. Damn, it must be Sunday today :rolleyes:. This ends today’s lecture:p. Take care, Dave:).

Have a great Sunday you filthy animals!

Reactions: nirodha

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
With the bondyields rising as they do, i think were 3-6 months away from the fed starting yieldcurve control.
Then it ll be soon obvious whats gonna be an inflation hedge and what not.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing