Brand matching for preamp and amp - help me decide

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
Upon "TAS Top 50 Greatest Bargains in High-End Audio" recommendations, I've purchased a used Constellation Audio Stereo 1.0 amplifier. But living in North America limits my options to 120v/60hz components meaning that I can only shop used in USA and Canada for my preamp. Therefore finding a used Constellation Audio Preamp 1.0 is slim/non-existent. I did find a used Soulution preamp though. My OCD self favors getting the matching Constellation preamp (like TAS tested) but I'll likely have to pay retail. Also, what seems to be my mental inconsistency/hypocrisy, in the future I plan to experiment attaching tube amps to my pre to investigate the tube magic sound. How important is brand matching?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
It can be important. However I've had great sounding systems with matched pre and amps and then unmatched. Sometimes this is where a good dealer and paying retail actually saves you money in the long run. Better dealers should know what works well. Also a dealer should be able to loan you a few things to try so you're not spending cash until you find what you like.

Unless you just want to experiment and plenty of us do that as well.

Welcome to What's Best Forum !!!

Reactions: asiufy

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks for your input. Needed another voice besides the one churning in my head.

I’m a little measured with dealers because of the potential of conflict of interest. There is a dealer on this forum who I like - his reviews/posts greatly helped me decide on final component choice, but he’s east coast and I’m west in California. I’d would like to reward my business to the east coast dealer who helped me and he carries both brands (preamp, speakers) of my final components, but so does a local guy with potential local support.

Could use advise on whether to give business to east coast dealer or local.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Upon "TAS Top 50 Greatest Bargains in High-End Audio" recommendations, I've purchased a used Constellation Audio Stereo 1.0 amplifier. But living in North America limits my options to 120v/60hz components meaning that I can only shop used in USA and Canada for my preamp. Therefore finding a used Constellation Audio Preamp 1.0 is slim/non-existent. I did find a used Soulution preamp though. My OCD self favors getting the matching Constellation preamp (like TAS tested) but I'll likely have to pay retail. Also, what seems to be my mental inconsistency/hypocrisy, in the future I plan to experiment attaching tube amps to my pre to investigate the tube magic sound. How important is brand matching?
Maybe the devices can be converted. Most times the input transformers have multiple taps

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks for your input. Needed another voice besides the one churning in my head.

I’m a little measured with dealers because of the potential of conflict of interest. There is a dealer on this forum who I like - his reviews/posts greatly helped me decide on final component choice, but he’s east coast and I’m west in California. I’d would like to reward my business to the east coast dealer who helped me and he carries both brands (preamp, speakers) of my final components, but so does a local guy with potential local support.

Could use advise on whether to give business to east coast dealer or local.

What's the conflict of interest? He's a dealer, you're a buyer? Don't exchange money until you're happy.

And I'd use the dealer you're most comfortable with. I do find that setup (especially speakers and turntables) are crucial and harder to do if the dealer isn't local. Otherwise, if he's helpful and you like what he's doing, reward him.

KPC

Dec 4, 2019
San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks, that’s encouraging. I had a bad newbie experience where a dealer salesman cornered me to quote a budget, then try to ram down a so so box store sounding system. Luckily I had known better because I previously demoed a good sounding system with GoldenEar Triton speakers (I was shocked as this was my first knowledge/experience of speaker’s 3D soundstage). Another dealer griped when I mentioned that I purchased used, a necessity since I’m accumulating both analog and digital chain gear for my first bucket-list high-end system trying to land somewhere mid-fi.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing