Brinkmann LaGrange with upgraded Sinus Motor - any experiences?

mondie

May 24, 2023
North Wales, UK (ex Oz.)
This is my first post on this very active analogue forum :)

I have owned a LaGrange with 4Point since 2015, recently the motor unit developed a fault so I have returned it to Germany for repair. During my conversation with Brinkmann the Sinus motor has been offered as a possible upgrade.

The Sinus is standard on the Spyder and Balance2, but has anybody bought the Sinus motor as an upgrade?

I am contemplating a change to the SME 30/12a, or perhaps the Balance with my 4Point so I am keen to any forumers with experience of the Sinus.

Cheers,
Mondie

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
IMHO Brinkmann Balance is a great turntable, especially matched with a good arm like 4P. SME 30/12 is another great table and I think it’s even better with new upgraded motor. You can’t go wrong with either of these.

I haven’t used standalone sinus motor I don’t know how it performs.

Reactions: mondie

mondie

May 24, 2023
North Wales, UK (ex Oz.)
Thanks for your comments. Are you referring to the recent Mk2 SMEs with the upgraded motor? I would be buying a used 30/12 as a new model is well out of scope.

I asked Brinkmann how close the LaGrange was to the Balance with the Sinus motor, their response surprised me "The Lagrange with the Sinus comes very close to the Balance."

Very close is good enough for me so unless the trade offer on my LaGrange is enough to tempt me into the Balance, I think it may be hard to justify.

Reactions: mtemur

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Thanks for your comments. Are you referring to the recent Mk2 SMEs with the upgraded motor? I would be buying a used 30/12 as a new model is well out of scope.

I asked Brinkmann how close the LaGrange was to the Balance with the Sinus motor, their response surprised me "The Lagrange with the Sinus comes very close to the Balance."

Very close is good enough for me so unless the trade offer on my LaGrange is enough to tempt me into the Balance, I think it may be hard to justify.
Although I believe the new upgraded motor will improve the performance but the old, standard SME 30/12 still a great turntable. IMHO it's good enough to be considered among top performers. Of course there are much better turntables but they're also much more expensive.

Brinkmann Balance is another great turntable IMHO but I don't know how it differs from LAGrange.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

there is quite a difference the Lagrange though tonally similar seems compressed compared to balance. There is a good review on the brinkmann website from someone who preferred the Lagrange to the old balance but when the newer balance came out it trumped the Lagrange. That review is quite accurate.

mondie

May 24, 2023
North Wales, UK (ex Oz.)
I've seen that review Bonzo. I think the LaGrange moved the game on over the original Balance so Helmut redesigned the Balance and then found there wasn't room for both decks in the range as they were too similar, goodbye LaGrange. I've read on several forums that the LaGrange has better PRaT (whatever that means in reality) but the Baalance2 has a denser sound.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Brinkmann balance playing Carmen fantasie.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing