Brinkmann Taurus,,,, Bardo

Robnpg

Aug 18, 2023
Hey folks! I am an admitted gear head :) there is nothing “wrong” with my VPI Signature 21 with Fatboy arm. Looking for something different and the Brinkmann direct drives caught my eye. No local dealers to A/B VPI to which is fine. But my question to you all is your thoughts on the Bardo vs Taurus. Taurus has the edge on aesthetics but wondering if anyone else has the opportunity to comp the two.

When it comes to sound the biggest difference is that Taurus has a deeper, more profound than the Bardo.
Regarding build, they both use the same platter. the Taurus has a heavier chassis (that helps to produce the more profound lower octave).

Reactions: ghn5ue and Robnpg
I have a Bardo and really like it a lot. I am not sure about the differences between Taurus and Bardo sonically, but they have the same platter, bearing and motor. The Taurus has a larger chassis and can accommodate more arms I think. As to the profundity of the bass...I can only say that Bardo is definitely not lacking in this regard.

Reactions: Robnpg
I have a Bardo and really like it a lot. I am not sure about the differences between Taurus and Bardo sonically, but they have the same platter, bearing and motor. The Taurus has a larger chassis and can accommodate more arms I think. As to the profundity of the bass...I can only say that Bardo is definitely not lacking in this regard.
I used Bardo for almost two years before switching to Balance.

Bardo is a great introduction to the world of Brinkmann, but compared to Taurus or Balance, it lacks the authoritative and articulate low-end that those two offer.

I've not compared but assume my Oasis and Bardot are similar at least. Brinkmann themselves suggested when I spoke to them that Taurus is a small step up as described in earlier posts. That said they felt a Ront takes an Oasis beyond Taurus with standard power supply so budget for the power supply whichever way you go

Reactions: morricab and Robnpg
Great posts folks. I was trying to decide if I was going to make a change from my VPI this year but if see one of my other posts, I just picked up a Boulder 1160 (used market) which is sort of changing my plans a bit :) I will readdress this probably next year.
I'm thinking the Taurus is what I'm looking for more aesthetic wise, but we'll see. Heck, there's always the balance too ;)

Reactions: defride
Very recently I attended a club meeting with an all PBN, ALL, system in a beautiful home here in San Diego. Peter Noerbeck was present. The source was what I believe was his top TT. It was a reworked Denon dropped into his custom plinth. Beautiful looking and sounding. Simply mouth watering.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing