Boulder and ARC

I think the issue is your speakers like a *lot* of current and drive. Boulder will give you that much more than ARC tubes.

I personally would require 400+ watts on any Rockport. It's a very hard speaker to drive and will reward you when driven correctly.
This.

I just took delivery of an 1160 a couple of weeks ago. I also have current hungry speakers (Alexia 2's) and this amp is a revelation; the Alexia's have opened up so much it's almost like getting a different pair of speakers. The sound is fast, open, detailed and effortless. Bass (Wilson's really need big current for good bass) is other-wordly. I haven't heard the Cygnus but I have heard the the Avior 2 and Atria 2 and I think the Boulder would make them sing.

I'm actually running it with an Audio Research preamp right now, although that will be the next thing to be replaced as I rebuild my (so old now it's almost vintage) system. Most likely with a 1110 but I will give the Ref 6 SE a listen as my dealer sells both.

I haven't heard the 2160 (I don't want to, I'm afraid I'll want it and the 1160 was already a bit of a stretch) but I have heard the 1161 and I can tell you it's not vaguely in the same league as the 1160 (at least with Alexia's and probably other current hungry speakers). Based on that I'd be hesitant to drop from the 2160 to the 1160 w/o hearing it first.

Reactions: Robnpg
Depends on your room and listening habits. The 1160 is probably more than enough. Hard to unhear the 2160, but it is likely more than you need. That said, start saving.

If I was at that level I would be all Boulder pre and amp. Enjoy!

In terms of raw power I'm sure the 1160 would be enough. I think I'll go deaf and the foundation of the house will crack before my 1160 gives out. But the reason to go for the 2160 over the 1160 isn't the watts, it's all that class A current. Given the huge gap between the 1161 and the 1160 I'm afraid to hear the 2160.

If you go 1160 or 2160 look at putting in a 30 amp line. Not sure if Chuck is using 30 amp but most say it makes a difference especially if you push your amps and system.

It’s not necessary as plenty use a 20 amp line and I would on the 1160 but that’s because I don’t crank it.
Right now I have 3 dedicated 20 amp lines but I have been pondering getting a panel from Kingrex and running a 50 amp sub-panel for the system, so I could do a 30 amp line for the 1160 and a 20 for everything else.

Anyone have first hand experience with running a Boulder off a 30 amp line?

This.

I just took delivery of an 1160 a couple of weeks ago. I also have current hungry speakers (Alexia 2's) and this amp is a revelation; the Alexia's have opened up so much it's almost like getting a different pair of speakers. The sound is fast, open, detailed and effortless. Bass (Wilson's really need big current for good bass) is other-wordly. I haven't heard the Cygnus but I have heard the the Avior 2 and Atria 2 and I think the Boulder would make them sing.

I'm actually running it with an Audio Research preamp right now, although that will be the next thing to be replaced as I rebuild my (so old now it's almost vintage) system. Most likely with a 1110 but I will give the Ref 6 SE a listen as my dealer sells both.

I haven't heard the 2160 (I don't want to, I'm afraid I'll want it and the 1160 was already a bit of a stretch) but I have heard the 1161 and I can tell you it's not vaguely in the same league as the 1160 (at least with Alexia's and probably other current hungry speakers). Based on that I'd be hesitant to drop from the 2160 to the 1160 w/o hearing it first.
I feel you. I wish I would have only heard the 1160 and not the 2160. Now I know what it can do :)

I feel you. I wish I would have only heard the 1160 and not the 2160. Now I know what it can do :)
I have to admit, after about 2 hours of listening to the 1160 in my system thoughts like "OMFG if the 1160 did this what will the 2160 do?" were running through my head. But I'm only 2 components into rebuilding my 25 year old system, no way can I be distracted by something like that.

Reactions: Pokey77 and Robnpg
Anyone have first hand experience with running a Boulder off a 30 amp line?
I do, a 2060 I had for several years was converted to 30amp/240V. It was initially standard 110 and converted by the dealer when I moved to a house with a dedicated 30/240 line. I don't have a direct comparison since I switched speakers when I moved. The Boulder guys said the amp would be noticeably better on more juice. I moved up to my 3060 about seven years ago, the 3060 will only runs on 30 amp 240V.

I would get the 2160 if it is at all doable. The 1160 is an excellent amp but not in the 2160 league.
Chuck I meant to ask, do you have yours on a stand or on the floor? If on a stand, may I ask which?

I had the 2060 on the floor. The 3060 came with a granite stand and I use that. I did not buy a special stand for either one.

There's a dealer in NY selling both 2160 and 2110 @ 43K each on Audiogon. A package price offered.

There's a dealer in NY selling both 2160 and 2110 @ 43K each on Audiogon. A package price offered.
Thanks, I see there are two listings out there now. Never bought any electronics this expensive used before. Sort of nervous, but could definitely save some money here…..

If you buy used, you might look into sending it to Boulder to make sure it is up to spec and, if not, bring it up to spec.

Cool! Well, not sure what my future finances were going to look like, I bought a used 1160. We shall see how it goes. I will keep the group posted....

Reactions: Audiohertz2
Congratulations. I'm really interested in your thoughts on the ARC/Boulder combo and the 1160 vs. 160S.

Well done, it is a great amp. You can scratch amp upgrades off your list. Any thoughts on maybe getting the matching 1110?
Before I bought the Ref 6SE, I auditioned the 1110 vs the Ref 6Se.....but going through a 160S. I ended up going with the Ref6SE. Before I think of replacing the Ref6SE which I truly enjoy; my next two areas of interest are my DAC->moving from the Aurender to The MSB Reference, or Premier with Director has my eye; or upgrade my analog from the VPI to something like a Brinkman Taurus. I am a true gearhead!!!! :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing