Best pure MM stage for SUT?

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
Hey - I ?m running a Brinkmann LaGrange with Miyajima System into a Consolidated Audio SUT and at the moment into my McIntosh C52 preamp (which has an integrated phonosection). I would like to try upgrading and running the SUT into an external MM phono - any thoughts/recommendations?

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio
budget?

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
… pretty open end as long as it makes sense with regard to the setup and is clearly audible

RaceDoc

Sep 11, 2017
Germany
I would suggest the Audiospecials Phonolab with MM-SUT card.

It has 4 gains and different impedances from 14kOhm up to 100kOhm
to suit your individual cartridge-SUT combination resulting in the best
possible load for your cartridge.

The overall sound will be extremely neutral but involving at the same time.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
To my ears one of th best pure MM Phonostages on the market is the

Air Tight ATE 3011

If you have the chance, give it a try.

It is an interesting comparison to compare the Air Tight with the direct competitor from Kondo
to understand the little different ways to associate the listener to the music.

Enoy :)

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
To my ears one of th best pure MM Phonostages on the market is the

Air Tight ATE 3011

If you have the chance, give it a try.

It is an interesting comparison to compare the Air Tight with the direct competitor from Kondo
to understand the little different ways to associate the listener to the music.

Enoy :)
I actually heard Air Tight against Kondo GE-1 side by side with same cartridge and SUT. I liked Air Tight more, it has more sparkle, very good phono stage.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I keep running into phono stages that are humbuckets. Keep that in mind.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
I actually heard Air Tight against Kondo GE-1 side by side with same cartridge and SUT. I liked Air Tight more, it has more sparkle, very good phono stage.
Mtemur, which Air Tight was it, the 3011, too?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I like my EMIA phono corrector. you can do copper wound transformers or silver. mine is silver with 2 power supplies. price range is from under $20k-$40k depending. each one is built to your needs/wants. I match it with an MC Trio with 3 SUT's in one chassis. can be three different SUT's. so quite flexible. bullet proof. uncompromised parts and circuit design.

performs at the top rank.

LR.html

Reactions: ThatStereoSound

Vinylfan

Jan 12, 2019
I swapped out my Allnic 7000, which was very good, with a Kondo GE-10i. and never looked back. Also using the Kondo SUT

Reactions: mtemur

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
RADA Precious One
Misho Myronov Wooden RIAA
Both are MM only very minimalist and pure design, both are excellent with Ypsilon MC L SUT
I have both at the moment

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I swapped out my Allnic 7000, which was very good, with a Kondo GE-10i. and never looked back. Also using the Kondo SUT
IMHO you’re settled for the best with Kondo GE-10 and SFz SUT. Look no further.

Reactions: Vinylfan

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
has been a constant when it comes to mm phono for over a decade. Beguilingly good sound, ultra flexible.

Emilzebira

Dec 9, 2023
Italy
could you kindly tell us the sonic differences between precious one and Misho Myronov's wooden phono, I'm very curious about both,? thank you very much

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
could you kindly tell us the sonic differences between precious one and Misho Myronov's wooden phono, I'm very curious about both,? thank you very much

hi what’s your system

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
RADA Precious One
Misho Myronov Wooden RIAA
Both are MM only very minimalist and pure design, both are excellent with Ypsilon MC L SUT
I have both at the moment

They are more similar than different, maybe a bit more HF energy with RADA. It's not bright even in the slightest. Both are very organic and quite musical.
RADA is twice more expensive, but both are pretty affordable compared to similar quality counterparts.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
conrad jhonson premier 8
Very powerful amps, they can drive almost anything. It's been a long time since I last listen to them, sounding good as far as I remember. Do they have undetachable, fixed powercord?

Last edited:

Emilzebira

Dec 9, 2023
Italy
Very powerful amps, they can drive almost anything. It's been a long time since I last listen to them, sounding good as far as I remember. Do they have undetachable, fixed powercord?
yes good, you remember well, the power cables of the premier 8 are not detachable...

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing