Brown stains inside and outside NOS tape Boxes

dgw

Sep 10, 2014
England UK.
I recently bought 3 outer boxes of NOS tape manufactured by Racal Zonal in September 1979. Zonal RZ. Ten reels per outer box. All sealed, unused, unopened. Two boxes were fine but one box ( ten tapes ) must have been kept in different conditions because each tape box has brown/ reddish stains. Sometimes just inside the box on the hinged section, sometimes more widespread and also outside the box. I think this is sometimes called "foxing".

I understand it is not possible to get rid of it and it is a type of mould. My concerns are :
- does it spread or now that the boxes are in a different environment, will the problem cease ?
- does it cause respiratory harm ?
- now that the tapes are no longer in their sealed plastic bags, will they be harmed by it ?

The tapes themselves have not been affected and record and playback perfectly.

If anybody actually knows about this, answers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks !

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Are they 10.5" reels or 7" reels? If they are 7" reels, I might throw them out, since 10 reels might be worth $280 bought new now, much less in that condition. If the tapes are all good, then rewinding them onto new reels or onto pancakes might be the best way to keep them. Don't know what the stains could be.

Larry

dgw

Sep 10, 2014
England UK.
Are they 10.5" reels or 7" reels? If they are 7" reels, I might throw them out, since 10 reels might be worth $280 bought new now, much less in that condition. If the tapes are all good, then rewinding them onto new reels or onto pancakes might be the best way to keep them. Don't know what the stains could be.

Larry
10.5" and Aluminium. The Alu reels are all good as is the tape.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing