Bryston 7B3 vs 4B3: Extra Cost Worthwhile?

JFRMusic

Feb 24, 2024
NJ
Now that my dealer said he can deliver and unbox my amp the weight issue has been resolved. I don’t expect to be moving them as this is my end game system. At my age end game has real meaning. So I decided on Bryston and the 4B3. But then I got to thinking maybe I should go all out and get the 7B3 mono blocks. They are twice the price of the 4B3. For that additional expense I would hope and expect that once I heard them I would not be able to go back to the 4B3. However if the difference in perceived SQ is better but marginal the extra cost would not be worthwhile. I’m not looking for the ability to play loud but am looking for speaker control, dynamics, soundstage, etc., improvements that are clearly and unequivocally heard. So has anyone been done this road with these amps? If so please share your experiences

NekoAudio

Oct 28, 2023
San Jose, California
www.nekoaudio.com
One of my clients upgraded from the 4B3 to the 14B3 (stereo 7B3) after hearing improved sound quality with her Thiel speakers. The difference was noticeable and worthwhile to her.

JFRMusic

Feb 24, 2024
NJ
GSOphile
Harbeth C7es-XD Speakers
MSB Discrete DAC. Direct to Amp or
Benchmark HPA4 Preamp
ABH2 is currently my amp

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
A pair of 7B3s would be overkill for me. There are better ways to spend your money IMO. A 4B3 looks like a fine choice (or maybe a 14B3 as suggested above) IF it addresses an important shortcoming you've identified.
But if you're thinking of a serious 'end game' upgrade of your system, I would suggest starting with your most critical component, your speakers - buying the best speakers you can afford first and then working on selecting amplification that best complements your new speakers.... rather than the other way around.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing