Building a dedicated audio room from ground up

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Hi everyone, I’m going to build a 2 channel audio room made of 8” CMU (reinforced concrete blocks) for the walls, concrete floor and ceiling. Room dimensions to be around 24’(w)x33’(l)x14’(h). I’m thinking of employing an acoustic engineer (https://www.acousticfields.com/carbon-absorber-wall/) who can build a absorption technology right into the walls. Actually room will have wood framed wall within the concrete wall that will utilize his bass absorption technology. The bass wall effectively take 1’ of space per wall. Has anyone heard of him?

Thanks

Last edited:

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
He is my favorite acoustician. When I ever build a room he is the guy who will build it for me

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
He is my favorite acoustician. When I ever build a room he is the guy who will build it for me

Nice to hear. Have you built a room with CAW technology? I’d like to visit one of his rooms but he told me none is available. It’s a lot of money to invest so I don’t want to take the plunge without hearing what he can do.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Far as I can tell CAW is a new offering from Acoustic Fields so I don't imagine that any are out there to demo.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Far as I can tell CAW is a new offering from Acoustic Fields so I don't imagine that any are out there to demo.

It’s been out for years, but seems like only ultra rich select clients and studios have used the technology. Dennis had his studio with all his technologies but has to dismantle it because his lease is up. So I’m SOOL.

audioquad

Oct 29, 2013
I built a room from the ground up and basically used the same approach as Acoustic Fields but I used Quest Acoustical Interiors. All my sound treatments are behind acoustical fabric. I am very pleased with the results. They use independent dealers to do their sound measuring and then they do the computer modeling as well as providing the treatments. www.questai.com

Reactions: dr k and christoph

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
dr k, I have hired Dennis To design A dedicated room In a dedicated metal building. its a tad smaller than yours at 21w 13h and 31l. its an involved build but should provide a very high quality listening experience much further than exterior wall treatments. i hope to have the plans in 2-3 weeks. yes 1 foot depth of walls with a proprietary layering design. he has been very responsive and i have confidence in his work.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
dr k, I have hired Dennis To design A dedicated room In a dedicated metal building. its a tad smaller than yours at 21w 13h and 31l. its an involved build but should provide a very high quality listening experience much further than exterior wall treatments. i hope to have the plans in 2-3 weeks. yes 1 foot depth of walls with a proprietary layering design. he has been very responsive and i have confidence in his work.

Thank you. That’s nice to hear. May I PM you?

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Yes absolutely

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Those are great dimensions dr k!

Reactions: dr k

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I have to say that if you get at a basic minimum the impvt I've had going from my old room to this one (by luck as much as design), and then go even further thru predicted advantage, you will be SO happy.

I can say hand on heart that the $75k I spent carving out this space to host my modest system has been hand down the best money I've spent in this hobby.

My old space could easily accommodate any number of $1-2m SOTA systems, but I wouldn't hesitate to refuse them if it meant going back to my old space.

Good luck.

Reactions: HughP3 and dr k

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing