Butterfly heads

So Victor.

I watched your video. You go into great detail about crosstalk - in fact all the video seems to be about how crosstalk is degraded by any kind of "butterflying" the pole shapes.

BUT, what about OTHER things like frequency response? The multiple manufacturers of tape heads and machines using them MUST have done so for a good reason. So what is/was it?

Anyone else want to chime in?

Hi Charles,

I am not sure about the multiple manufacturers... in my sizable collection only Studer uses them. Among the companies not using the butterflies are Ampex, MCI, Sony, Digitec, Tascam, Telefunken, Lyrec, Otari, Nagra and probably many others. Hardly a bunch of inexperienced players.

If you look at the four cases that I outlined, you mostly see a bit more noise here... a bit worse crosstalk there... so the question then becomes - why do it? I am not sure what you mean by the frequency response - I have not seen any effect of that pole shape.

As I stated in the video, there IS a minor positive effect when both recording and playing wide tracks - one extra dB of SNR... which might be noticeable in a studio. But the typical consumer case of playing narrow tracks with a wide head produces only the double-minus result.

When I compared the Otari and the Studer heads connected to the same tape preamp, it was an easy win for the Otari. Was the butterfly nature of the Studer head responsible for that? Perhaps... especially since in that test it was not able to get the additional help from the crosstalk compensation.

I have a Bogen and a Photovox Butterfly repro head. The Photovox was used in the Stellavox SM

Regarding the Otari and Studer comparison you mention in the last paragraph - what did you "compare"?

I, of course, "compared" (not sure why the quotes here, but retaining them) the sound.

Does Stellavox SM have crosstalk compensation?

Still would like someone to give some good reason for using wide track heads on narrow track recordings.

And speaking of wide tracks... I have a Sony block with heads like this:

One of my Sony APR-5003's has the calibration position for it.

Last edited:
Hi V,

"Still would like someone to give some good reason for using wide track heads on narrow track recordings." None may exist.

I've read the Studer DIN/Schmetterling repro head was for broadcast purposes ... to repro mono and stereo program material
without the inconvenience of switching headstacks.

Hope this contributes to the thread!

Take care.

Yes, I have heard that and I have a concern regarding that story. The problem with using two heads to read one mono track is the possible comb filter effect that can be pronounced at high frequencies.

Yes, I have heard that and I have a concern regarding that story. The problem with using two heads to read one mono track is the possible comb filter effect that can be pronounced at high frequencies.
Are you describing comb filter effect for either DIN or NAB head when reading a mono track?

Yes, indeed. The effect is not, of course, unique to the particular design, but wider stacks would have it softened to some degree.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu