audiopro92

Nov 25, 2023
Canada
This post is for newbies and hi-fi veterans alike.

Cables shouldn't, at least in theory, sound different. From their inception, they were never intended to alter the output signal or be the cause of inadvertent variations. So then, why do they sound different?

I've said this before - to many people:
Conductors interact with other conductors. This interaction due to metallurgy can impact sound quality. The wiring in your audio equipment plays in tangent with the cables you connect. You are, in essence, creating an orchestra and one bad performer (weak link in your audio system chain) can make a world of difference!

Top-notch cables (with no design compromises) can allow a system to be fully transparent as if that CD player and Amplifier are ONE unit, rather than TWO. It's like a hard-wired / soldered connection, rather connections than long distances where losses are possible. In theory and in practice, a cable will inevitably experience losses. If the losses are imperceptible to our senses and hearing, then our cables are truly reference-grade.

You can certainly measure them and you will find they appear to be alike. Then a resolving system shows you the truth.

I have heard tonal/sound quality differences in the following types of cables:

RCA interconnects
RCA Y to 3.5mm
Balanced interconnects
Power cables
Coaxial cables
TOSLINK cables
Type C cables
Ethernet cables

Recently I tested two sets of RCA cables -

#1 My custom-made RCAs; 8 inches, silver-plated copper that is mil-spec top-grade made in USA.

#2 Relatively inexpensive no-name cables from amazon - 1m (3 feet) in length, silver-plated copper.

Headphones: Meters Novu-1
Headphone Amplifier: custom-made linear DC amplifier from Japan (made by an electronics engineer).
DAC/Source: Pathos Converto MK1

USB Cable:
custom-made common-mode and differential-mode noise rejection cable with passive components and physically segregated data and power lines. (cable is split in two instead of one wire).
Source track: Bush - Testosterone

A Kick drum/guitars lighten up and introduce the track. The bass response and decay should be very linear-sounding and controlled. There is a sense of clarity, space, timing, imaging, and above all dynamics that can be accurately portrayed if the system and cables are up to the task.

My reference cables #1 - Obviously performed exceptionally well. They were able to completely convey all of the above.
The other cables #2 - Additional bass, blurred the bass lines, smeared the guitars, and reduced dynamics substantially.

Volume was matched as I never had to turn the knob beyond where it was. The headphone amplifier has a power on/off switch that is a toggle so I could quickly power off everything and swap cables. I tested myself 10 times in a row, taking notes after 5 minute breaks in between while my house and neighborhood were totally quiet late at night.

My impressions were identical to relatives with good hearing. I also covered the cables each time they visited my listening room to hear the track. So in each case, they had no idea which cables I was using, or even, what they looked like!

They were able to guess or interpret that something was wrong (chose the bad RCAs, #2) 10/10 times! The same as me.

Because auditory memory is so short, I took notes. And I asked them to do the same.
The extent of what we were trying to communicate lined up to a tee. The cables definitely made a difference!

Thanks for hearing me out! I'd be glad to hear cases like this from forum members here who have had similar experiences with cables. It could be any of the aforementioned cables...

Last edited:
Reactions: Republicoftexas69
Sounds like a bad cable or connector. The only time I have heard substantial difference in interconnects was when something was wrong, often a bad ground connection, or when the cheap cables were not well-shielded and allowed noise to couple to the signal, which could also lead to audible issues.

Inexpensive silver-plated copper cables from Amazon, can you provide a link? Usually "silver" and "inexpensive" do not go together. I have seen some test reports showing misleading advertising for some silver and gold cables.

Reactions: Hear Here
Sounds like a bad cable or connector. The only time I have heard substantial difference in interconnects was when something was wrong, often a bad ground connection, or when the cheap cables were not well-shielded and allowed noise to couple to the signal, which could also lead to audible issues.

Inexpensive silver-plated copper cables from Amazon, can you provide a link? Usually "silver" and "inexpensive" do not go together. I have seen some test reports showing misleading advertising for some silver and gold cables.
I sent you a message.

Last edited:
Hi,

I assume you know that the vast majority of folks on this forum will not disagree with your basic premise, that being that cables do sound different and do make a difference. FYI, there is a dedicated section on the home page (Audio Cable Forum) containing approximately 720 threads with thousands of posts discussing this topic. Best.

Last edited:
Cables shouldn't, at least in theory, sound different. From their inception, they were never intended to alter the output signal or be the cause of inadvertent variations. So then, why do they sound different?
As other have said / will say, I don't believe in all these cable claims. All one needs is a "good" cable with decently attached end terminals of "good" quality. That's what is used in professional recording studios, etc. If it's good enough to get the music onto a master to send to streaming and pressing houses, it's surely good enough for us.

Or better (since no cable however costly will ever improve the sound), ditch the cables as far as possible by putting as many modules as feasible (streamer, DAC, DSP, phono stage, preamp, headphone amp, etc) into a single enclosure. Save cost and untidiness and eliminate all the noise or whatever you seem to hear with cables and you're done! :)

As other have said / will say, I don't believe in all these cable claims. All one needs is a "good" cable with decently attached end terminals of "good" quality. That's what is used in professional recording studios, etc. If it's good enough to get the music onto a master to send to streaming and pressing houses, it's surely good enough for us.
If you think that equipment designed for recording studios is perfect for home, for audiophiles too, I challenge you to listen to music on a pair of Yamaha NS-10Ms. But be warned—it might not be the most pleasant experience. Just like most studio monitors.

Cables used in recording studios are chosen because they’re inexpensive not because they sound good.

Or better (since no cable however costly will ever improve the sound), ditch the cables as far as possible by putting as many modules as feasible (streamer, DAC, DSP, phono stage, preamp, headphone amp, etc) into a single enclosure. Save cost and untidiness and eliminate all the noise or whatever you seem to hear with cables and you're done! :)
We don't know what said studio is using to produce music for a particular artist or band. In terms of sound quality, there are plenty of details that often go over-looked in the work many of them do. These details can easily be revealed with audio equipment that is made with high quality parts and lacks engineering compromises.

The purpose of top-notch cables (of any kind) have nothing to do with "improving" sound quality. Rather, they do not add or subtract anything from the original sound. As I said, two components blend together as though they are one unit. I'm not making claims about "better" sound quality; only that better cables will reveal more of what a system is fully capable of. Unlocking full potential....

Excessively sharp snares, post-ringing, sound recorded at the 0:00 mark when we press play such as footsteps, a faint voice, etc. , tons of dynamic range compression when mastering, and even recessed vocals! All of this is present in modern music and recordings from the 80s and 90s to a large extent.

Any generic or basic studio today is using average-quality monitors and consumer-grade products to save money and maximize profits. Unlike, let's say AIR Studios in London, which is probably the best in the world. The gear they use is at the same level (or very close to) the very best high-end audio equipment today. Shops today that sell consumer-grade studio gear are popular and amateur studios and mid-tier (apart from the world's most expensive studios to record/mix/master) are using these products. Riddled with all kinds of engineering compromises and cost savings, they will not be revealing enough to allow you hear the differences in cables.

Last edited:
Reactions: Republicoftexas69
In theory and in practice, a cable will inevitably experience losses. If the losses are imperceptible to our senses and hearing, then our cables are truly reference-grade.
If you listen to the top Cardas vs. the top Nordost, they will sound different. I don't know how you would decide which is correct. All we can do is search out cabling that meets our sonic preferences.
As other have said / will say, I don't believe in all these cable claims. All one needs is a "good" cable with decently attached end terminals of "good" quality. That's what is used in professional recording studios, etc.
I bought a 3-ft pair of Mogami Gold interconnects because I thought the above may have merit. What I heard was loose bass, slightly gritty highs and constricted soundstage, compared to even low-level audiophile cables. I tried the Mogami in three separate configurations to make sure there was no compatibility issue. Mogami Gold is very well made and nicely flexible but I am not impressed.

If you think that equipment designed for recording studios is perfect for home, for audiophiles too, I challenge you to listen to music on a pair of Yamaha NS-10Ms. But be warned—it might not be the most pleasant experience. Just like most studio monitors.

Cables used in recording studios are chosen because they’re inexpensive not because they sound good.
Excellent response.

Transducers (speakers and headphones) are like a window to the outside world. If they are not transparent enough, they will not be able to help you discern the smallest differences in sound. And yes, cables used in most budget or mid-range studios are deployed with cost-savings in mind as are most of their equipment.

If you listen to the top Cardas vs. the top Nordost, they will sound different. I don't know how you would decide which is correct. All we can do is search out cabling that meets our sonic preferences.

I bought a 3-ft pair of Mogami Gold interconnects because I thought the above may have merit. What I heard was loose bass, slightly gritty highs and constricted soundstage, compared to even low-level audiophile cables. I tried the Mogami in three separate configurations to make sure there was no compatibility issue. Mogami Gold is very well made and nicely flexible but I am not impressed.
That's true. There will be variations because of the interactions between internal wiring as no route is infallible. I can confidently say that the interconnects I use provide consistent results and no discernable colorations.

When guitars sound real, cymbals sound as they should with a sense of air and scale, a mustang engine revving brings you right beside the vehicle, water dripping is almost tangible, and the most complex recordings allow you hear intricate details without smearing, then we know you have a transparent system.

I had the same experience with Mogami gold interconnects. Nothing against the brand. I'm sure many people enjoy them. To each their own, so I won't knock them down with any other impressions.

The purpose of top-notch cables (of any kind) have nothing to do with "improving" sound quality. Rather, they do not add or subtract anything from the original sound.
Most folks with hi end systems will use "top notch" cables to "voice" (to some degree) the overall sound to suit their subjective preferences. It goes part and parcel with the "system synergy" tuning process. One can certainly argue that the cabling will and add or subtract from the "original" sound (whatever that is because no one really knows absent being present at the original recording session) to match their personal listening biases. To me, that means "improving sound quality" albeit on a subjective level.

Last edited:
Most folks with hi end systems will use "top notch" cables to "voice" (to some degree) the overall sound to suit their subjective preferences. It goes part and parcel with the "system synergy" tuning process. One can certainly argue that the cabling may alter and likely will add or subtract from the "original" sound (whatever that is) to match their personal listening biases. To me, that means "improving sound quality" albeit on a subjective level.
I would agree, I have always looked at synergy and build quality in all my cables. LessLoss for power cables, Analysis Plus and Purist Audio for IC, Purist and Townshend for SC. Yes I have tried going the cheap route and may as well just give the money to my kids to waste.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu