Cables for Lampizator Golden Gate

kernelbob

Oct 23, 2011
I've been a very happy owner of the Golden Gate and now having traded it in for the balanced Pacific. I'm using MasterBuilt Ultra AES/EBU input cable, Ultra XLR balanced analog cables, and an Ultra power cord.

By the way, a bit off topic, but I'm also using a pair of Lampizator True Balanced 211 power amps driving the mid/treble of my VR100XS system. Those amps are spectacular. I'm using Ultra power cords and interconnects on those guys as well as a pair of Spectrons powering the bass drivers.

I strongly recommend the MasterBuilt series. I've been them since 2011. There are four lines-- Performance, Reference, Signature, and Ultra at a range of price points. MB offers in home trials.

Best,
Robert

Reactions: christoph

strats

Feb 17, 2019
I’ve had my Golden Gate for about 2 months now. It’s quite an amazing unit! It’s essentially a GG2, balanced with volume control and has RK KR 242 tubes with an RK KR5U4G rectifier. I see what all the fuss is about, but also see why it can need some work to tweak in order to work well in your current set up. I haven’t tried any other tubes but have been playing around with the power (power cord and outlet). It seems really sensitive to this. I tried three power cords - entry level Lampi cord (copper), flagship Lampi cord (with some silver, I think), and Shunyata Alpha EF. I tried them with 3 different outlets (Furutech GTX-D NCF, Synergistic Research Blue, and Maestro), each on it’s own dedicated line. So, I tried a total of 9 combinations. With some combinations, it was not that impressive, and in the beginning, I was wondering what all the fuss was about. The only combination that made it sound amazing to my ears is the Furutech with the Lampi flagship power cord. Regardless of power cord though, the Furutech emerged as the clear best outlet in my system as it tightened things up in a good way.

It now has the palpability, realism, presence, etc. that I keep hearing about, and I can hear why it is so special. However, it is sometimes too much of a good thing. It can feel overly saturated when I turn up the volume or in a complex passage of music. Also, the bass sounds a bit too contoured/tubey (not sure if I’m using the right terminology here).

With this context, just wanted to check if anyone had any suggestions of other things to try (cables, tubes, etc.) I’m in touch with Mark about his Sablon cables. That seems to be a top recommendation in terms of synergy with the Golden Gate. Any other tips?

Kernelbob, it’s great to hear that you have the VR100XS system. I heard it at the CA Audio Show several years ago, and it’s perhaps the best setup that I’ve ever heard.

Reactions: christoph

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Interesting - I have the same specced GG2 as you and found the Shunyata Alpha EF a good cable. I also tried a Sigma, and was very good, but perhaps overkill - it seemed to exaggerate the scale of instruments a bit.
I would recommend trying the Sablon cable with the Bocchino connector, but worth noting the connector is very large & heavy, so may need supporting, e.g. by the Furutech support.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I’ve had my Golden Gate for about 2 months now. It’s quite an amazing unit! It’s essentially a GG2, balanced with volume control and has RK KR 242 tubes with an RK KR5U4G rectifier. I see what all the fuss is about, but also see why it can need some work to tweak in order to work well in your current set up. I haven’t tried any other tubes but have been playing around with the power (power cord and outlet). It seems really sensitive to this. I tried three power cords - entry level Lampi cord (copper), flagship Lampi cord (with some silver, I think), and Shunyata Alpha EF. I tried them with 3 different outlets (Furutech GTX-D NCF, Synergistic Research Blue, and Maestro), each on it’s own dedicated line. So, I tried a total of 9 combinations. With some combinations, it was not that impressive, and in the beginning, I was wondering what all the fuss was about. The only combination that made it sound amazing to my ears is the Furutech with the Lampi flagship power cord. Regardless of power cord though, the Furutech emerged as the clear best outlet in my system as it tightened things up in a good way.

It now has the palpability, realism, presence, etc. that I keep hearing about, and I can hear why it is so special. However, it is sometimes too much of a good thing. It can feel overly saturated when I turn up the volume or in a complex passage of music. Also, the bass sounds a bit too contoured/tubey (not sure if I’m using the right terminology here).

With this context, just wanted to check if anyone had any suggestions of other things to try (cables, tubes, etc.) I’m in touch with Mark about his Sablon cables. That seems to be a top recommendation in terms of synergy with the Golden Gate. Any other tips?

Kernelbob, it’s great to hear that you have the VR100XS system. I heard it at the CA Audio Show several years ago, and it’s perhaps the best setup that I’ve ever heard.

Regarding the "oversaturated" quality you experienced, can you please elaborate on it. Does it sound like distortion, or a removal of dynamic headroom?

I'm asking because I suspect it may be related to the KR 242 overdriving your amp. I've experienced something similar. Try a different tube and see what you hear. Don't forget to change the heater setting in the back of the DAC.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing