Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

Why question?. Show some basic respect for individual preferences and stop second guessing someones personal choice.
I'm not second guessing anything .
It's not common to find someone that comes from the pro world and prefers audiophile hifi speakers.
When you're used to flat and neutral sound it's hard choosing anything else, but obviously he likes the Wilson sound better which is great , I just asked what made him like them more then pro studio monitors .

It's not common to find someone that comes from the pro world and prefers audiophile hifi speakers.
When you're used to flat and neutral sound it's hard choosing anything else, but obviously he likes the Wilson sound better which is great , I just asked what made him like them more then pro studio monitors .
You may know from experience a great deal. So far your replies indicate you do not.

Reactions: Lagonda
You may know from experience a great deal. So far your replies indicate you do not.
I don't know anything and don't claim to know anything .
That's why I always ask questions and learn new stuff every day .
And that's why I asked for his opinion .
Apprantly it's a bad idea to ask someone for his opinion on a public audio forum.
Or maybe it's bad only when I do it.
But OK ...

It is not about having bad memories about the past, it is about thinking they were better than the actually were. We all have had great times in the past as well as the present but we tend to romanticize the old days.
Nah, prior to the introduction of CD, every home had a record player or tape deck playing sweet analogue music that enriched peoples lives. That God given gift to humanity was stolen by greedy record and audio companies. 40 years later, only now is digital finally fit for purpose.

Reactions: Doc76
I don't know anything and don't claim to know anything .
That's why I always ask questions and learn new stuff every day .
And that's why I asked for his opinion .
Apprantly it's a bad idea to ask someone for his opinion on a public audio forum.
Or maybe it's bad only when I do it.
But OK ...
Did you, or did you not, hear Genelec monitors with your ears? If so which ones?

Nah, prior to the introduction of CD, every home had a record player or tape deck playing sweet analogue music that enriched peoples lives. That God given gift to humanity was stolen by greedy record and audio companies. 40 years later, only now is digital finally fit for purpose.
Sure if you say so, but I remember some bad TT and cartridges and lightweight warped records Too.

Lol
Care to explain ?
You hate their sound ?
it's a can of worms to explore your previous reference. one i personally will not open. i have nothing constructive to offer on this subject.

think of it as a batting practice fast ball. takes us no where. no common frame of reference to refer to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda
Unless the engineer's clients catered to Audiophiles........ which is what I did......
.....and you did a slam dunk job too, if I do say so myself.

Tom

Reactions: Bruce B
Sure if you say so, but I remember some bad TT and cartridges and lightweight warped records Too.

And I hated records in my youth. I couldn't stand the clicks and pops. I even developed "record cleaning syndrome". It drove me nuts.

Then came CD. What a blessing!! I never looked back. I was finally freed from click/pop OCD.

Funny, now I can listen to records at friends' houses and enjoy them. I even don't much notice clicks and pops while they are the ones who complain about them! But if it were *my* records? I am afraid it would drive me crazy again.

And I hated records in my youth. I couldn't stand the clicks and pops. I even developed "record cleaning syndrome". It drove me nuts.

Then came CD. What a blessing!! I never looked back. I was finally freed from click/pop OCD.

Funny, now I can listen to records at friends' houses and enjoy them. I even don't much notice clicks and pops while they are the ones who complain about them! But if it were *my* records? I am afraid it would drive me crazy again.
I always wondered if those clicks and pops could damage the speakers .

Maybe most people haven't heard good digital playback.
Here's a review of a raved about DAC. Apparently it doesn't work properly unless you upsample with a computer first. Ugh!

Very interesting comment, Milan. That certainly puts a new perspective on it. Whoa.

This might also explain the bifurcation I perceive between original classical and jazz pressings versus re-issues thereof compared to original pop pressings versus re-issues thereof.

Any DCC Compact Classic pop re-issue I have beats for my ears the original pressing of the same title.

Reactions: Lee
Morten’s 2L recordings have stellar sound although the music is not my taste. His Atmos mixes are sublime especially his Peter Hoff Jazz trio mix which is one of my favorite Atmos mixes,, namely Polarity.

Reactions: Lee and AudioGod
Maybe most people haven't heard good digital playback.
Here's a review of a raved about DAC. Apparently it doesn't work properly unless you upsample with a computer first. Ugh!

The reviewer is raving about measurements... His subjective opinion pay be completely biased by what he finds in his measurements.

That being said, there may be reasons why some products work better with upsampling performed at the source. I would not generalize.

Gee, I hate to wade into these waters but last night played the new Carmen Gomes, Inc. recording in DXD through my lowly Schiit Yggy LIM from a Macbook Pro M1 with AS. The sound was totally holographic. Breathtaking.
I got the 32bit 768khz version. It's an amazing recording, some of the best bass thats ever come out of my system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing