Can my proposed new room work?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked electricity flows in a loop, your equipment 'should' already be properly grounded, through the mains.
Keith.

That was sarcasm. You take my posts to seriously

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And not forgetting her three cats. She's like Blofeld on acid! NO WAY are the dratted moggies chewing their way thru my cable loom or frying themselves on my 211's. Ahem, I believe my fate was written in the Stars when I said we'd move in together one day!

You can have mats put in around the speakers with material that stops cats from going there, so they don't get to the speakers.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You can have mats put in around the speakers with material that stops cats from going there, so they don't get to the speakers.

You've never owned cats, have you Bonzo LOL? If you think some mats are going to deter ruthless predators, good luck. Tbh, those mats would be needed around my whole rig, and this hobby is OCD enough w/out considering anti-feline measures as well LOL! No, I actually want my "own" space, so the loft it is.
Just found out that I just will not be able to get any large gear thru the restricted access hatch to the loft.
This is going to mean cherry picking gear from outside the house, up and thru 4' x 3' skylights. Joy.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Guys and gals, some advice please.
I've just put in an offer on a new house, an amazing converted Victorian Methodist Chapel in the country, w/two superb potential spaces to listen to music.
The main lounge, 35' x 30' x 20', and the loft space which would need some finegeling to get it right.
It's this loft space that I need advice on.
It's deep in the roof space, no vertical walls, so triangular on cross section.
Standing at the midpoint, flr to apex/ridge is 10'.
The roof then slopes down at a 30 degree angle either side, so that there is a 15' width to play with to the point where floor to roof slope is 5' high. Any further out wider is "redundant" floor area.
I have up to 45' length to play with.
The house is bomb proof, no stability/strength issues.

So, can a room w/no vertical walls work re high end acoustics? Would any spkr, and a horn esp take kindly to approximately abutting angled slope of a roof, as long as we have 12'-15' width to play with?
Any other considerations I need to consider?
If I go horns, I'll be upgrading from Zu Definitions 4s to Cessaro Liszts, AG Duo Mezzos or Trios/Basshorns.

Man, I'd love to have this opportunity as a listening room. And I wouldn't need a single acoustic treatment to make it superior. Just careful speaker placement.

Did you buy the chapel?

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Guys and gals, some advice please.
I've just put in an offer on a new house, an amazing converted Victorian Methodist Chapel in the country, w/two superb potential spaces to listen to music.
The main lounge, 35' x 30' x 20', and the loft space which would need some finegeling to get it right.
It's this loft space that I need advice on.
It's deep in the roof space, no vertical walls, so triangular on cross section.
Standing at the midpoint, flr to apex/ridge is 10'.
The roof then slopes down at a 30 degree angle either side, so that there is a 15' width to play with to the point where floor to roof slope is 5' high. Any further out wider is "redundant" floor area.
I have up to 45' length to play with.
The house is bomb proof, no stability/strength issues.

So, can a room w/no vertical walls work re high end acoustics? Would any spkr, and a horn esp take kindly to approximately abutting angled slope of a roof, as long as we have 12'-15' width to play with?
Any other considerations I need to consider?
If I go horns, I'll be upgrading from Zu Definitions 4s to Cessaro Liszts, AG Duo Mezzos or Trios/Basshorns.

Spirit, can we see pictures? What a magical potential space. I would not let audiophilia nervosa spoil it and eschew all "treatments" at this time until u get a feel for things (assuming you buy). I think a speaker with controlled directivity that is not reliant on the room would be the ticket. It would be interesting to experiment with a nearfield setup in addition to more ambient speakers like MBL or German Physics. What a great opportunity.

Bobalob

Mar 25, 2011
I would recommend Jim Smith "Get Better Sound " book and DVDs in the first instance. It's a shame not to use the main lounge ...

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I would recommend Jim Smith "Get Better Sound " book and DVDs in the first instance. It's a shame not to use the main lounge ...

I'm curious. Exactly what benefit do you suppose one could get from that book / DVD's? What did you get from it?

Bobalob

Mar 25, 2011
Well I was a bit sceptical initially but I thought I would give it a go. It took about a week to work my way through it , it's not easy. However it did make a huge difference to presence , dynamics and tone even though the speakers weren't moved that far from their original position. It's not really about just getting the stereo imagery with speaker placement . I ended up wishing I had done it earlier and realised that I had spent years missing out on the full potential of my system.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Well I was a bit sceptical initially but I thought I would give it a go. It took about a week to work my way through it , it's not easy. However it did make a huge difference to presence , dynamics and tone even though the speakers weren't moved that far from their original position. It's not really about just getting the stereo imagery with speaker placement . I ended up wishing I had done it earlier and realised that I had spent years missing out on the full potential of my system.

Thanks for sharing, Bob. Can you provide some kind of reference for your definition of huge? If so, that would be helpful.

Bobalob

Mar 25, 2011
Hmm probably equivalent to a pre-amp upgrade. The sound was more full bodied with more 'snap' and a sense of rightness . Hard to describe really but for the cost of the package (discounted now as Through the Sound Barrier coming out) , laser measure and Chieftains CD Tears of Stone it was definitely the biggest bang for the buck I had ever achieved.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Spirit said he would post very soon - he bought the chapel and is now amidst sorting it out.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Haha, never fear, I'm back in the room!
Not in the new property yet, it's currently w/out power, but my long-suffering GF's place
Currently appraising the new space, structural engineer's calcs and quote to follow
The idea is still to convert the 45x30(half this width useable before my head hits the eaves)x9 roof space to a triangular cross section pure audio/cinema room
It's obv somewhat of a risk in an unconventional space, but the lack of parallel sidewalls certainly could help w/standing waves, and I'll have total freedom to apply acoustic treatments as I see fit.
All depends on the building quote...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing