Cartridge Screws

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Hi Syntax, in a 2011 discussion on A'gon about a Lyra Skala installation you suggested copper screws to the TO instead of aluminium ones and Jonathan Carr mentioned that he prefered titanium screws if they are machined. So you agree with him now?

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/lyra-skala-installation#1

One thing that I always remembered from this thread as a long time Lyra user was his advice about the screw diameter for Lyra cartridges:
"One more comment regarding screws - the mounting screwthreads on the Skala (and all other Lyra cartridges) are 2.6mm and made to JIS standards. They are not 2.5mm, and they are not made to DIN or other standards. 2.5mm screws or DIN-spec screws will not sound as good as 2.6mm JIS screws (due to improper fit), and they may end up damaging the Skala body."

Do you know if Brakemeier offers his screw sets in both DIN and JIS standard sizes?

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
I did never disagree. I did use copper - And I still use them, because they are very good. 2011 I had no source for titanium screws.
When someone use copper screws, super. No need to change.
I wrote about titanium because I think, they are more available now. Copper screws were very hard to find years ago. Did that change now?
The Sklala has a Plastic body, you had to be careful not to overtighten it.
I had a Skala and based on that, I did use the Lyra screws for it.

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
I've read that screw tension can also have a profound effect on sonics. Sorry. Bad joke. No, seriously.
I will never forget the famous 2012 workshop on the Krefeld Analog-Forum where the late Tom Schmitz (one of the founding members of the German Analogue Audio Association and an extremely knowledgable guy in all things analogue) demoed this live before a larger audience. It was amazing to hear how an ever so slight turn on the screws changed the sound of the used cartridges rather profoundly.

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Copper screws were very hard to find years ago. Did that change now?
Well, copper is a rater soft material. I was always a bit conscious about that fact for screws so I never really had the itch to try this.

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Ohhh boy...that is not a can of worms I have opened yet. A tedious PITA....I will have to try it soon when time and patience permits.
And now think of Ortofon cartridges with the three humps on the top side that make the azimuth change every time you mess around with the screws... :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I will never forget the famous 2012 workshop on the Krefeld Analog-Forum where the late Tom Schmitz (one of the founding members of the German Analogue Audio Association and an extremely knowledgable guy in all things analogue) demoed this live before a larger audience. It was amazing to hear how an ever so slight turn on the screws changed the sound of the used cartridges rather profoundly.

Very interesting. I thought I once read about a torque wrench (screwdriver) for cartridge screws allowing for repeatable tightness settings. While we are at it, what is the preferred head shape: slot, philips, or allen key?

I do think that heavier screws can effectively alter the resonance frequency of the cartridge/arm system and alter the sound, much as adding or removing weight from the headshell does.

If people are playing around with this stuff, they could also be playing around with the cartridge leads for removable headshells. Do people clean their cartridge pin contacts periodically?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
And now think of Ortofon cartridges with the three humps on the top side that make the azimuth change every time you mess around with the screws... :)

I hate that. It’s also an issue with Graham arm wands too. God damn ridge skid plate on headshell underside that doesn’t play well with many carts. I want flat surfaces on my cart tops and headshell bottoms. Is that too much to ask ?

Reactions: tima

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Well my quest for titanium bolts commences. I forgot my Yamamoto headshell is titanium... View attachment 50708

Ahem, please forgive me.... do your ears a favour and go for better cartridge leads/pins. With those you will only get 70% what the cart can deliver. At best.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Ahem, please forgive me.... do your ears a favour and go for better cartridge leads/pins. With those you will only get 70% what the cart can deliver. At best.

hah....I am not surprised by your comment and expected it....;) Do you have any recommendations to swap out the leads with ?

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Aggelos (or similar) leads.
Silver wire, silver pins and flexible. No loss of details. Easy to change.

Syntax Lyras - 1.jpg

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
s-l300.jpg Anyone interested in this? I have 2, one opened (mint) and one sealed. PM if interested

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Aggelos (or similar) leads.
Silver wire, silver pins and flexible. No loss of details. Easy to change.

While I'm for good cartridge leads (not thick ones!) and headshells with silver I find bass is the first thing that suffers and then there's the coloration of silver which isn't everyone's taste.

david

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Nothing makes me yawn more than a cable topic...but nothing needs good connection like phono. Silver can be a good thing here but certainly not a holy grail.

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
Each his own prejudice about coloration.
The Phono signal from the Pins is the smallest in the whole chain. What is lost here (based on materials which carry information) can't be brought back again. No matter how much money you'll spend later for your Phonostage.
Based on AES, Silver can carry more information (+6%) than purest copper.
Prejudice/opinion is a close partner in High End business. I prefer facts.
But happiness counts. And of course, listening to music :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing