Cartridge suggestions for FR64 tonearm

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
Been out of the loop for quite a few years due to some 'life' events, with system in storage.

I have been able to pull my system from storage, and last year worked enough overtime to upgrade or purchase new equipment, but I have not upgraded my turntable/tonearm/cartridge yet, but plan to replace turntable next year.

My turntable is a Technics SL1000 MKII which for those not familiar, is the Technics SP10 MKII turntable mounted on a factory plinth.
I have two Technics B-500 bases with an 'E' armwand and 'H' armwand that I don't use.
The tonearm I do use is a Fidelity Research FR64, so I need a low compliance cartridge.
The cartridge I used last is a vintage Fidelity Research FR-1 MK3 F, which needs to be re-tipped, and I will do so once I get a replacement.

The rest of the system includes:

Zesto 1.2 Andros tube phono stage
Zesto 1.5 tube preamp
Quicksilver V4 tube amps (new KT150 version)
Green Mountain Audio Continuum 3 speakers
JL Audio 113 Fathom subwoofers (pair)

Curious what cartridges other high mass tonearm owners are using, especially those who use Fidelity Research FR64/66 tonearms.

Looking for cartridges under $2000 USD at most.. probably should spend half that.

I have over 20K records, so I am very anxious to get this back into service.

Really curious about suggestions and thanks in advance.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
At that price, the best is Decca. Works great with FR... And a completely restored Decca blue from John Wright costs 750 GBP or less. All koetsus do well on an FR and only on an FR, though sound is very different from Decca, Lyra, vdh, etc. SPU and Miyajima are the other choices. At 2k usd you could get both the Decca and an SPU and have two alternate sounds. Zyx airy 1000 and other models at that price used also sound good on FR

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Being very familiar with that Zesto gear, I'd want something punchy and dynamic for a cart to offset the smooth, relaxed, and somewhat dark Zesto sound. I can't say whether it is compatible with the FR, but I'm thinking something like a Dynavector XX-2 (keeping your price range in mind).

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome back to high-end audio, Rich! Zesto makes very nice sounding components. I met Carolyn and George Counnas in Munich. They are as nice as the components!

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
I'm using FR7f (modified with Shibata tip). Natural, effortless sound with this "something", some sort of a presence.

Cheers,

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
Opinions on the SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star or Ortofon Cadenza Bronze for my Fr64s?
These are on my radar at the moment.

Also bought 2 B-60 bases for both my FR64s arms, will be nice to be able to easily adjust VTA on the fly.

And... today I received the Smartractor I ordered.. a substantial upgrade over my older Dr. Feickert protractor.

Reactions: bonzo75

rich121

Dec 10, 2017
Washington State
Considering the SoundSmith Paua MKII with the FR64s... anyone with experience?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Prior suggestions are good!

Also consider Sensitive Sound ART series. I know for a fact they are great (caveat- my import) on fr64s plus Sp10mk2 at my house....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing