Center Stage2 "LS" Series Loudspeaker Feet

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
www.criticalmasssystems.com
Intrigued I am, Steve. Where Joe speaks about your Wilson Alexandria X2 loudspeakers because they were heavy, big, ported, ultra-sensitive to change and made from a phenol-based cabinet material along with the complexity of the driver array is mind boggling with respect to footer design gave me reason to think about my situation. Since my Wilson Sophia 3s weigh 25% of what your speakers weigh and has only one cabinet vs four per your speakers, which has to be more complicated, and probably a little slower removing excess vibrations, since the 3 upper cabinet vibrations would need to travel through the frame first. My hope is the .08 or 1.0 would be more than enough to remove the excess vibrations in my speakers. When do you plan to have those available? Have you figured out a price? I will be watching, thanks marc

Hi marcbrown

I think we'll have the foot based on the 1.0 this month. It will have a smaller diameter than the LS 1.5 with a lower height. Obviously, it will cost less too. The LS 0.8 will follow as soon as possible, but definitely this year.

With CS2 feet we went from small to large in the progression of offerings. This time we're doing the reverse. If you asked me why, I would say because I wasn't sure if creating a truly cutting-edge foot for loudspeakers was possible.

Thank you,

Joe

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Gee, to use these with my Vandersteen 3 Signatures, would cost $7,200. I think it would make more sense to use that money to upgrade up his speaker line. Of course, with speakers that cost as much as Steve’s, that is not as much of a concern.

Hi Joe Whip

I would have thought so too. I'm not suggesting that the price of the LS 1.5 is insignificant as we started at the top of the line and went "all out" for a performance solution. But, I am suggesting that there is an extraordinary amount of sonic performance left on the table causally related to the extraordinary degradation of vibration build up in loudspeaker cabinets. Hearing the incredible engineering designed into your equipment is what the CS2 line is all about.

This is not a criticism of any loudspeaker manufacturer in any way. Attacking cabinet resonance at the "footer" level has been a lagging part of our industry. It turns out (to my surprise too) you can greatly improve the performance of your system this way.

We'll be developing more feet as time goes on.

marcbrown

Apr 17, 2018
Hi marcbrown

I think we'll have the foot based on the 1.0 this month. It will have a smaller diameter than the LS 1.5 with a lower height. Obviously, it will cost less too. The LS 0.8 will follow as soon as possible, but definitely this year.

With CS2 feet we went from small to large in the progression of offerings. This time we're doing the reverse. If you asked me why, I would say because I wasn't sure if creating a truly cutting-edge foot for loudspeakers was possible.

Thank you,

Joe
Hey Joe, where you going with that footer in your hand? :>) Oh ye footer maestro, do you concur that my speakers would probably get just about as much improvement with the 1.0s or .08s as Steve did with 1.5s, since mine are lighter and less complex than Steve's? Or are the 1.5s going to have unique qualities the others do not? Thanks for the intrigue, marc

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Well Steve, maybe some day. If Joe needs a beta tester, let me know.

Interesting!
Hey Joe, where you going with that footer in your hand? :>) Oh ye footer maestro, do you concur that my speakers would probably get just about as much improvement with the 1.0s or .08s as Steve did with 1.5s, since mine are lighter and less complex than Steve's? Or are the 1.5s going to have unique qualities the others do not? Thanks for the intrigue, marc

I'm goin' down to shoot my old tone arm. I caught it messin' up my Bill Evans one-step. :)

Good Lord, this is the toughest question I could imagine. Well, the short answer is, I don't see how that could be the case. You're touching on a performance question that is tied to CS2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5 component feet design. For CS2, the taller the foot the better the result across all* components. I sincerely believe the LS 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5 will perform the same way. This is because we're using the numerically equivalent CS2 foot as a "build template" for each LS foot.

I mentioned that we're just now finishing the LS 1.0. So, the truth is I won't know how the feet compare until the 1.0 is finished. But, I will assure you that I'll squeeze every ounce of performance out of the LS 1.0 as possible. I will also assure you that the LS 1.0 will cost less and have a smaller profile. The LS 0.8 likewise.

^We have learned over time that CS2 will not work properly with components with an acrylic bottom or an over-damped bottom plate. Most notably Audio Research Ref 6 pre and phono and some Burmester components.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Following the reports on the Speaker footers here with interest--I notice the comments allay to floor standers.

I was wondering how they may work(improve) with say standmounts?

In my own case I have SF Guarneri Homages with those slabs of Tuscan Marble bases.

Kudos on your products:)

BruceD

marcbrown

Apr 17, 2018
Interesting!

I'm goin' down to shoot my old tone arm. I caught it messin' up my Bill Evans one-step.

Good Lord, this is the toughest question I could imagine. Well, the short answer is, I don't see how that could be the case. You're touching on a performance question that is tied to CS2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5 component feet design. For CS2, the taller the foot the better the result across all* components. I sincerely believe the LS 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5 will perform the same way. This is because we're using the numerically equivalent CS2 foot as a "build template" for each LS foot.

I mentioned that we're just now finishing the LS 1.0. So, the truth is I won't know how the feet compare until the 1.0 is finished. But, I will assure you that I'll squeeze every ounce of performance out of the LS 1.0 as possible. I will also assure you that the LS 1.0 will cost less and have a smaller profile. The LS 0.8 likewise.

^We have learned over time that CS2 will not work properly with components with an acrylic bottom or an over-damped bottom plate. Most notably Audio Research Ref 6 pre and phono and some Burmester components.
Thanks Joe, I am always appreciative of your honesty, even when it does dash my hopes.:) So much for trying to understand and uncover a kernel of info on the mode of operation of your footers. After what was said about the complexity of Steve's speakers, and mine, being from same manufacturer, with similar cabinet materials, and also being less complex with only one cabinet would fill in the gaps between the 1.5s and 1.0s. Anyway, I will be watching for when the 1.0s are ready and then decide which way to go when more input is on forum , marc. P.S. Hope your aim was true and Mr. Arm has bit the dust and the Bill Evans one-step is now secure and under your thumb!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Will chrome or clear anodized be an option Joe?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It's been pretty much common knowledge here Peter that Joe has been working on a foot for speakers an the R&D has taken him the past 2 years to get it exactly correct. Joe will never bring anything to market unless he feels it is the very best. His white paper is very open and he has given some glimpses as to how these are constructed.I'm pretty certain I was one of the first if not 'the' first to have these under my speakers. I received my set about 3-4 weeks ago

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Following the reports on the Speaker footers here with interest--I notice the comments allay to floor standers.

I was wondering how they may work(improve) with say standmounts?

In my own case I have SF Guarneri Homages with those slabs of Tuscan Marble bases.

Kudos on your products:)

BruceD

Hi Bruce D

In this case, I would say no. The speaker is separated from the stand by a felt cushion which, coupled with the distance from the stand base to the speaker cabinet, would likely diminish the effectiveness of the feet.

Thank you for the question.

Joe

Reactions: BruceD

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Thanks Joe, I am always appreciative of your honesty, even when it does dash my hopes.:) So much for trying to understand and uncover a kernel of info on the mode of operation of your footers. After what was said about the complexity of Steve's speakers, and mine, being from same manufacturer, with similar cabinet materials, and also being less complex with only one cabinet would fill in the gaps between the 1.5s and 1.0s. Anyway, I will be watching for when the 1.0s are ready and then decide which way to go when more input is on forum , marc. P.S. Hope your aim was true and Mr. Arm has bit the dust and the Bill Evans one-step is now secure and under your thumb!

marcbrown

I am pleased to report that Bill is safe in his sleeve! Thank you for your patience. There is no doubt in my mind that either the coming 1.0 or 0.8 will work for you wonderfully.

All the Best,

Joe

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
Will chrome or clear anodized be an option Joe?

Hi Jack

I hope you are well. I'd prefer to keep them black. I like that they disappear under the speakers which in turn disappear more convincingly than ever before. Seems poetic. :) Having said this, the piece that extends as you raise the speaker is a silver accent.

All the Best,

Joe

Reactions: mountainjoe

joelavrencik

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2016
Chicago
It's been pretty much common knowledge here Peter that Joe has been working on a foot for speakers an the R&D has taken him the past 2 years to get it exactly correct. Joe will never bring anything to market unless he feels it is the very best. His white paper is very open and he has given some glimpses as to how these are constructed.I'm pretty certain I was one of the first if not 'the' first to have these under my speakers. I received my set about 3-4 weeks ago

That's right Steve. You were the first. I viewed the X2s as a monumental test of the CS2 LS design.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
That's right Steve. You were the first. I viewed the X2s as a monumental test of the CS2 LS design.
Joe

The LS 1.5 has literally been the finishing part of the puzzle called my system. Over the past 3 weeks my listening sessions have all been so real that they are a “ you are there experience”. You know o was a doubter but I’ve never know you not to bring your very best effort forward and when i read your white paper I knew I had to try these. The rest is history as these are now a permanent part of my system

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
$9,600 for a pair of big / heavy speakers without the adapters? Say that five times with a straight face. That's almost $3,000 more than I paid for new my Joseph Audio Pulsars. The price per each makes it extremely inhibitive for the average audio type to purchase. I'm not saying they won't work as advertised but, with all due respect to Joe and Steve, I find the "hi end" pricing model to be absurd and beyond pale except, of course, for "luxury" watches.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing