Challenge Classics

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
As (nearly) all of Bert’s dxd recordings this file with lute music sounds very impressive indeed.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

These Prokofiev recordings sound really awesome in (their original format) dxd. Try them and I assure you that you will not be dissappointed.
agree. i have all these Challenge Classic Prokofief recordings in dxd (352-24) and they are superb. i listen to them often. they really scale, meaning i can push them and they hold together with fantastic realism.

and the Wadax combo took them to a higher level.

Reactions: Audiocrack

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Look forward to hearing them...hybrid SACD but nevertheless, gets very solid reviews as performances, as well as recordings/masterings.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Look forward to hearing them...hybrid SACD but nevertheless, gets very solid reviews as performances, as well as recordings/masterings.
Hello Lloyd, the performances on all four recordings are very good while the recording quality is really superb. I have all four recordings available in dsd 256 and dxd files. To my ears the dxd sounds more open, dynamic and (somewhat) more ‘real’ than the dsd 256 version, while on the other hand the latter sounds somewhat softer and more refined or ‘silky’. As I mentioned earlier here on WBF, Bert van der Wolf allowed me to join him on one of the Prokofiev recording days: I sat in the (great sounding) music hall in Hilversum, Holland and I enjoyed my time during the afternoon sessions tremendously. Have not heard any sacd -version of these Prokofiev recordings but undoubtedly these will be very good as well.

Reactions: rando

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hello Lloyd, the performances on all four recordings are very good while the recording quality is really superb. I have all four recordings available in dsd 256 and dxd files. To my ears the dxd sounds more open, dynamic and (somewhat) more ‘real’ than the dsd 256 version, while on the other hand the latter sounds somewhat softer and more refined or ‘silky’. As I mentioned earlier here on WBF, Bert van der Wolf allowed me to join him on one of the Prokofiev recording days: I sat in the (great sounding) music hall in Hilversum, Holland and I enjoyed my time during the afternoon sessions tremendously. Have not heard any sacd -version of these Prokofiev recordings but undoubtedly these will be very good as well.
Wow! What a great experience! Plus, you are now one of the very few who were actually there during the recording that the rest of us listen to (and some of us endless debate what it was meant to sound like)!

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Wow! What a great experience! Plus, you are now one of the very few who were actually there during the recording that the rest of us listen to (and some of us endless debate what it was meant to sound like)!
Yep, I suppose so. Although the dxd-version sounds more ‘real’ to my ears the dsd 256 sounds very good as well (as, I suppose, does the sacd-version). Hope you will enjoy these recordings as much as Mike and I do: I listen to them on a very regular basis because imho they belong to the best large orchestral recordings I know and - in the end (much) more important of course - they let me rediscover Prokofiev as a mighty fine composer.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yep, I suppose so. Although the dxd-version sounds more ‘real’ to my ears the dsd 256 sounds very good as well (as, I suppose, does the sacd-version). Hope you will enjoy these recordings as much as Mike and I do: I listen to them on a very regular basis because imho they belong to the best large orchestral recordings I know and - in the end (much) more important of course - they let me rediscover Prokofiev as a mighty fine composer.
Great! After also reading about 7 reviews of the performances, I decided to just order the lot, and they are arriving over the next several days. Fortunately, I checked, and most of my collection of Prokofiev are his other compositions...have only 1 of his symphonies (Jarvi) which is very good but would appreciate another.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Great! After also reading about 7 reviews of the performances, I decided to just order the lot, and they are arriving over the next several days. Fortunately, I checked, and most of my collection of Prokofiev are his other compositions...have only 1 of his symphonies (Jarvi) which is very good but would appreciate another.
Please keep us posted, Lloyd, as regards your listening experiences: like I mentioned before, I hope you will enjoy them as much as we do.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

This link inter alia pays tribute to Bert van der Wolf, the mastermind behind Challenge Classics.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Although this link regarding some very fine large orchestral recordings made by Channel Classics does not really fit in a thread that is dedicated to Challenge Classics - both companies are Dutch based but Channel Classics is a completely different company - I thought that it might nevertheless be quite interesting for (some) our members that love classical music, in particular orchestral pieces. So here it is: https://positive-feedback.com/revie...sterpieces-from-ivan-fischer-and-jared-sacks/

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
waiting for the 16tb version of the Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2.5 Inch SATA III card to be introduced (for my server drive garage). suppose to be in 2023 sometime.

so i can swap out my -3- 8Tb cards for -4- 16tb cards on my Wadax Ref Server, and take me to 66tb total. right now i only have 3 x 8 = 24 + 2tb resident = 26tb total. with about 20tb of files resident.

then i can go full-tilt boggie buying all the dxd files i want. buying any now would just be frustrating.

Last edited:
Reactions: APP and Audiocrack

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Right now listening to Hannes Minnaar in dxd playing Gaspard de la nuit by Maurice Ravel. Always loved the middle part of this piece: Le Gibet. This album was recorded by Bert and is called Nox. It includes piano music from Schumann and Zuidam. Beautifully recorded.

Reactions: APP

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing