Chateau Rouge Breakfast Blend No. 27

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Why don’t we have a tea forum?

When we were living in London for two years I developed an interest in tea. After much A/B comparison tea testing (some comparisons blind, many comparisons sited) I conclude that Chateau Rouge Breakfast Blend No. 27 is my favorite English breakfast tea.

Are any of you familiar with this particular tea?

All comparisons were conducted with Aqua-Fina reverse-osmosis filtered water. Water boilers used 240VAC and 120VAC power, without power conditioning or balanced power or power regenerator devices. Power cords were stock. Not even Ching Chengs were used. Cold Aqua-Fina water was used to equalize drinking temperatures.

The same tall, ceramic mug was used in all comparisons. The mug was washed consistently with the same dishwasher detergent and with unfiltered tap water going into the dishwasher.

Comparisons were conducted during the morning hours, but with different ambient background music.

I like my tea to be strong. So I put two teabags (or a big dollop of loose tea) in a single cup. This makes me a tea gangster.

I also compared a lot of English breakfast tea to a lot of Earl Grey tea. I decided I don’t care for Earl Grey tea at all. I think tea gangsters like the strong stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: zerostargeneral

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
I had a good laugh Ron !

Important question: Tube or solid state rectified ?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I am more of a Lapsang Souchong man myself.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I had a good laugh Ron !

Important question: Tube or solid state rectified ?

Solid-state rectified. I could not find any water boiler with a tube power supply.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
On this at the moment. But it is only an average Darjeeling. It was expensive, but unfortunately that's no guarantee of a decent Darjeeling.

King of teas, though, I reckon, at its best.

Attachments

• 1550830451233.jpg
    1550830451233.jpg
    636.2 KB · Views: 2

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I guess this thread begs the question

"are we talking traditional from traditional tea leaves, or are we also including herbal teas as well?"

Fuck it no. Hardcore real tea comprising only of tea.

That said, I am not the self-proclaimed tea gangster that started the thread.

In my personal estimation, whilst tea is good, coffee is the more serious drink I have way more money invested in trying to get the best out of it. If you wanna get high end on it, I must be about 'prosumer' level I guess.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The thing about coffee is, when it's good, it tastes way better than the best tongue numbing cocaine, and has about one third of its effect at best.

And it's legal.

Not bad going.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Fuck it no. Hardcore real tea comprising only of tea.

That said, I am not the self-proclaimed tea gangster that started the thread.

In my personal estimation, whilst tea is good, coffee is the more serious drink I have way more money invested in trying to get the best out of it. If you wanna get high end on it, I must be about 'prosumer' level I guess.

I'm with you 100% and hence my question.

Agree about coffeee however I must say that I love all great teas except one which smells like a barnyard. I think it's called Pu-er.

Unlike Ron I enjoy a good Earl Grey and Darjeeling. Most lately I am into oolong but it can get expensive

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
And if you wanna get gangster, cocaine will kill you quickly with heavy usage in the short term, or with much lower usage, it's still going to not do you much good if you are over the age of 35-40 I reckon.

I don't really rate it as great. A bit surprised the world consumption is as high as it is. Mind you, I don't live in a South America supplied North America.

No wonder Donnie gets upset about Mexico. But really that's just a front end for the Columbian supply.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'm with you 100% and hence my question.

Agree about coffeee however I must say that I love all great teas except one which smells like a barnyard. I think it's called Pu-er.

Unlike Ron I enjoy a good Earl Grey and Darjeeling. Most lately I am into oolong but it can get expensive

I like earl grey and lady grey..

When serious I brew tea leaves, add ginger, and leave covered for a while.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I like earl grey and lady grey..

When serious I brew tea leaves, add ginger, and leave covered for a while.
Face it Bonzo. However serious you get, the best tea for you is still a free tea man.

Tang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing