Chernobyl-HBO 5 Part Mini Series

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I believe the flag raising that is shown in your posted video was shown in the last episode?

In the comments below that video several people mentioned how accurate Episode 4 from HBO is, as if they used that video as their basis for that episode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sharp 1080

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
We are all entitled to our opinions Bob but to use this single example and paint mankind the way you do is somewhat tainted. This was as a direct result of the USSR building an inferior reactor which was understaffed. The party line was a blatant lie to their own people as well as to the world

Much of the footage in episode 4 showing the destruction of the generator melt down was real and yes that flag was shown in episode 4

Reactions: jeff1225

Steve Williams

Bob I really think Chernobyl was different.
As the HBO series shows it really exposed and crystalised the inherent evil and rotteness of the Soviet Union which became even too much for Gorbachev and his allies.
Do try and watch it.

I totally agree

Bob
I put up this thread on the mini series which to me is a must see. You have picked apart wikipedia made your usual proclamations and condemned man kind for all sorts of evil but you haven't seen this 5 hour miniseries yet.

Reactions: bonzo75

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Bob I really think Chernobyl was different.
As the HBO series shows it really exposed and crystalised the inherent evil and rotteness of the Soviet Union which became even too much for Gorbachev and his allies.
Do try and watch it.

It's coming soon Barry.

* I did say that it was different.
Please forgive me for going beyond the call of duty, I didn't mean to disturb anyone.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks to you guys today we watched the first episode. Was great.

Steve Williams

Thanks to you guys today we watched the first episode. Was great.
It gets better Ked but not in a good way

Episode 4 was nail biting watching them use the bio iRobot’s. In the TV series they only went once and for 90 seconds only.

How they wrap this up next week was certainly revealed at the start of episode 1

Reactions: jeff1225

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I totally agree

Bob
I put up this thread on the mini series which to me is a must see. You have picked apart wikipedia made your usual proclamations and condemned man kind for all sorts of evil but you haven't seen this 5 hour miniseries yet.

Mankind should be commended for making this riveting series!

Reactions: Steve Williams

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
On Saturday The Times TV critic did a piece on the Chernobyl series and made the following comment:
"In almost every character, a dark humour and biting disdain for the mad,dishonest, arse covering bureaucratic state mixes with patriotism and self sacrifice"
They also had a piece in the news section with a link to How true is Chernobyl? at thetimes.co.uk
Final episode will be broadcast here on Tuesday evning.
What a fabulous piece of TV!

Steve Williams

I saw the final episode this evening

What an absolute amazing docudrama

One can only shrug shoulders as to what happened.

The explanation as to the sequence of events second by second and what was happening inside that generator was mind boggling

It was a sequence of events that went from bad to worse to a nuclear bomb in the reactor

I thought the trial was done terrific as the truth came out.

It was estimated although never known that somewhere between 4300 to over 90,000 deaths yet to this day Russia has only admitted to 31 deaths!!!

It was known that most of the cancers that arose later were in children

Sobering TV

This is a must watch mini series

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Steve!!!!

I must say I respect your taste in TV shows. Chernoby is riveting. I love it and will shed a tear when I watch the final installment tonight. I had no idea we came so close to total disaster. Wow.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Not long finished watching the final episode here in the UK.
Outstanding but not completely true according to an article in todays Times.
Valery Legasov did not attend the trial, but it was held in Chernobyl.He did,however, deliver a barnstorming speech to the IAEA in Vienna in August 1986. The audience gave him a standing ovation and the assumption is that the writers took his Vienna speech and switched it to the Chernobyl courtroom.
That said the article very largely corroborates the account in the series and in my view the exceptions in no way detract from what has been a piece of exceptional TV.
A genuine must watch.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

I am glad that I am not alone in how I feel about this short miniseries.

There are always liberties taken with any film based on historic fact. The character of Ulana Khomyuk (played by Emily Watson) is not a real person but an amalgamation of many of the scientists that worked on the disaster confirmed as stated by Jeffrey_T and in the rolling credits.

What IMO solidified the gravity of the situation was in the final episode when Legasov gave professional testimony before the court and showed on a poster board how the meltdown occurred minute by minute, second by second and how he removed the blocks from each side of the equation to explain what happened.

His final comments that the situation went from bad to worse to a nuclear bomb was sobering

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Yes I agree Steve.
What cheered me up at the end in their summing up notes was that the efforts of Legasov and the other Soviet scientists forced the Soviet government to retrofit big changes to power station reactors to prevent a repeat of Chernobyl.
Very reassuring as I understand that a number are still operating including the one in Lithuania which was used for the filming.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The chilling point was that 80% of the European land mass would have been permanently uninhabitable if the meltdown was complete and poisoned the air and water.

Chilling to see that all of the bridge voyeurs died... That seemed to be the most fatal activity of all as even 2 of the 3 divers are still alive and Dyatylov from the control room remained alive for more than 10 years.

All in all, the show paid homage to the 4,000 or so heros that saved the continent with their selfnessness.

Steve Williams

Yes I agree Steve.
What cheered me up at the end in their summing up notes was that the efforts of Legasov and the other Soviet scientists forced the Soviet government to retrofit big changes to power station reactors to prevent a repeat of Chernobyl.
Very reassuring as I understand that a number are still operating including the one in Lithuania which was used for the filming.

Thanks for sharing that as I wondered where it was filmed

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing