Chinese DAC shames a few heavy hitters

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Someone should try one of these USB bridges with the X20U. I bought one just for fun but haven't used it yet. Via the IIS output you will be able to get up to DSD 256 out of the X20U. It uses very good parts and clocks as well. Lots of easy mods can be done to it too. there's a headfi thread on modding it as well. You would just need to build an RJ45-HDMI adapter.

Here's the latest "Ultimate edition"

http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/melodi...khz-dsd-xmos-usb-digital-audio-interface.html

mx-u8-4.jpg

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Ric - Thanks for the lead on those fuses from Mouser. I thought there had to be some reasonably priced premium fuses instead of the outrageous pricing from some of the audiophile accessory companies. Do you know whether those Schurter fuses have upgraded internal conductors, or are they just standard fuses with gold plated contacts? Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
I read a review of a bunch of fuses and the Schurter was in the mix. However, it did not fare as well as more expensive ones.....but still beat the stock fuse. I don't think the Schurter is "anything special"....just a slight upgrade. I don't listen to fuses......I bypass them. So, I cannot tell you how they sound different from each other. There are plenty of fuse threads on the net that describe fuses.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
The Gustard X20U is installed and playing music. It does not suck!:D

A bit of edge, grain, grit, glare, whatever, but oh the joy of being able to select a DSD from my Aurender and have it play automatically sweet sweet Art Pepper!

Will keep you posted.

mresseguie

Feb 26, 2016
Hello, ACHiPo.

I'm excitedly reading your updates. My X20U is set to be delivered (to Aldcoll) this Tuesday afternoon. I'm not sure if he is a member of this forum, but I will tell him about it. He's quite eager to try it in his system. I also bought a TWL Digital American HD PC from a fellow in CA that ought to show up in Alan's mailbox at nearly the same time. I wonder what benefits might be attained over the X20U's standard PC. Perhaps, we'll all find out soon.

Hello, everyone else! Nice place you've got here. :)

audiohippo

Jan 12, 2016
Australia
I've got a Jemmy Audio DAD1 which is ES9018 based with DSD256 and sounds fantastic. The model I have has recently been updated to "pro" edition with new chassis and a few tweaks. So could only imagine what that sounds like.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
Alrighty then...about 55 hours in and this X20U is sounding really nice. Edginess and glare is fading fast and leaving detailed musicality in its place. Fantastic on drums--bringing out the tonality of the head. Cymbals still have a bit of tiz, but vocal sibilance is becoming much more natural. All in all I'm delighted given the relatively low hours on this piece. Soundstage is huge, with vocals and lead instruments more forward, and the back of the studio/stage further back. A lot of three dimensionality beyond the speakers--not just ambience, but instruments as well.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
All for the low price of $900.

Alrighty then...about 55 hours in and this X20U is sounding really nice. Edginess and glare is fading fast and leaving detailed musicality in its place. Fantastic on drums--bringing out the tonality of the head. Cymbals still have a bit of tiz, but vocal sibilance is becoming much more natural. All in all I'm delighted given the relatively low hours on this piece. Soundstage is huge, with vocals and lead instruments more forward, and the back of the studio/stage further back. A lot of three dimensionality beyond the speakers--not just ambience, but instruments as well.

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I've got a Jemmy Audio DAD1 which is ES9018 based with DSD256 and sounds fantastic. The model I have has recently been updated to "pro" edition with new chassis and a few tweaks. So could only imagine what that sounds like.

Nice find! And only $350!. Even has a very nice separate LPS! Socketed opamps as well. I can just imagine the giant killer this could be with a pair of Sonic imagery 994's in the opamp sockets!

https://translate.google.ca/transla...obao.com/item.html?id=40411763982&prev=search

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hey Mike if you can read Chinese see if it says anything about the output stage. At that price I need another DAC. :eek:

I edited original post read again. Uses LME49710 IC opamps for the IV, and OPA 1632's after. All could be upgraded to discrete.

schematic.jpg

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
At that price I need another DAC. :eek:
Marty,
Have you ever considered going to a DA (DAC-aholics Anonymous) meeting? Just sayin'...;)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing