Coda no 16 amplifier

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe KeithR should have tried this on his new YGs?

Reactions: tobiasrankin

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Further update: ordered a n.8 V3 version, much more powerful than the V1 now on trial in my hands.
The V1 (150 w) seems sufficient in terms of power, I have not exceeded the red area of Vu-meters, nevertheless my experience shows that usually an higher reserve of power in SS amps grant more realism also at lower SPL's.
I look to a similar experience had by Mike Lavigne going from Dartzeel 108 (150 w) to the monos 458 (450 w). Speakers were same as mine, the EA MM3's with an impedance module of 7 ohm declared with minimal deviation.
Amp will arrive in Italy in January I Hope and I'll put my final impressions. Source and preamp are Emmlabs an old CDSA-SE-X going into a Pre 2SE.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
Further update: ordered a n.8 V3 version, much more powerful than the V1 now on trial in my hands.
The V1 (150 w) seems sufficient in terms of power, I have not exceeded the red area of Vu-meters, nevertheless my experience shows that usually an higher reserve of power in SS amps grant more realism also at lower SPL's.
I look to a similar experience had by Mike Lavigne going from Dartzeel 108 (150 w) to the monos 458 (450 w). Speakers were same as mine, the EA MM3's with an impedance module of 7 ohm declared with minimal deviation.
Amp will arrive in Italy in January I Hope and I'll put my final impressions. Source and preamp are Emmlabs an old CDSA-SE-X going into a Pre 2SE.
Looking forward to you feedback on the V1 and V3. I finally got my Thiel CS3.7 sorted out (new drivers and many other fixes). So now I am looking for an amp that is more suitable for the Thiel CS3.7. The amp needs to go down to 2 Ohms since the speaker spends a lot of time at 2-3 Ohms. I was also wondering if more power would translate into better sound at lower volume. So the best speaker+ amp match between the V1 and V3 were something I was wondering about.

I am also looking at the #16 but I have not figured out if it is a good match for the power hungry CS3.7. Likely no problems with the pairing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi,
I have owned CODA gear for several years. I’ve owned the CS, CSX, 15.5 and now the 16 amplifier. I’ve also owned the CODA CP preamp and now the latest 0.7x preamp.

The latest designs with the new FETs are amazing products. The noise floor is amazingly low resulting in detail, depth, imagining and soundstage that have to be heard to believe. The tonal qualities of the 0.7x rival tube designs that I’ve owned or heard over the years. The Automobiles and Roadhouses cut is just amazing. It cause goosebumps as big as Horseturds!

This combination of preamp and amplifiers (I own two CODA 16 amplifiers and the 0.7x) combined with my Legacy Audio V speakers and my Lampizator Pacific DAC brings the sound quality of my system to heights I’ve never heard anywhere. I always loved my Pacific and had no idea I hadn’t really heard what it could do. Ditto for the Vs. I think that Lukasz and Bill might be surprised at what their respective designs can do.

One thing the CODA preamp does that I’ve not heard from other designs capable of occurs when I use the volume control to turn the system up. Usually a preamp plays the system louder (Duh) but the 0.7x volume control causes the instrument(s) and voice(s) to swell individually without one being reminded that the volume has increased. Listening at low volumes is a treat as one doesn‘t notice a loss of detail or impact.

I would be glad to write more if any are interested.
One thing for sure if you’ve not heard the CODA new designs believe me they are game changers and well worth seeking out.
Hi Steve, do you think the Coda 16.0 is a better amp than the 41.0 ?
Class A vs huge class AB.
I've never heard Coda amps as they are not well distributed in Europe but would be interested in the 0.7x pre and the 16.0 amp to drive Thiel CS 3.7s speakers that need very hight quality current to sing.
My other option for a little less money is the Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated.

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Purchased a Coda no. 8 v2 a couple of weeks ago to replace a Krell FPB-600. I am very impressed with the increase in realism and dynamics this amplifier is able to deliver over my beloved Krell. I’m constantly searching to find time during this busy time of year to sit and listen more...now to find a good matching pre-amp to pair up..

yyzSB

May 14, 2017

I have decided to get a second Benchmark AHB2 instead of the CODA. However, the above unit is interesting if you want to dip your toes in with a CODA.

I would have used the Benchmark HPA4 if I got the CODA. The LA4 (HPA4 minus headphone amp) is $2500 with a 30 day home trial. It will not add any sonic signature so that maybe good or bad.

Reactions: AZWink

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
First component that I’ve owned with meters since the 80’s. I have to say the performance of this amp makes me forget all about the meters... really, really good!

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
First component that I’ve owned with meters since the 80’s. I have to say the performance of this amp makes me forget all about the meters... really, really good!
I was uncertain about my choice. I ended choosing a n.8 without meters (expecting arrival: end January or early February). First: the vu-meters version is listed almost 700-1000 euros more; second: actually the vu-meters pointers are barely and poorly visible from my listening point; only in the front of the amp you can detect easily where the pointers are and if the amp works in the safety range.
In off mode IMHO they looks pretty, likes some old SAE amps of the Seventies; on the contrary when amp is powered on the Blue light is a bit aggressive, not an elegant choice.

Reactions: AZWink

AZWink

Jan 10, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I was uncertain about my choice. I ended choosing a n.8 without meters (expecting arrival: end January or early February). First: the vu-meters version is listed almost 700-1000 euros more; second: actually the vu-meters pointers are barely and poorly visible from my listening point; only in the front of the amp you can detect easily where the pointers are and if the amp works in the safety range.
In off mode IMHO they looks pretty, likes some old SAE amps of the Seventies; on the contrary when amp is powered on the Blue light is a bit aggressive, not an elegant choice.
A dimmer option is one thing I wish they would have included. I have thought about changing the lights to an amber backlight to tone it down a bit.

Reactions: analyzer

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
My Coda 16 played superbly with my TAD ME-1 stand mount speakers. Highly recommend. My problem now is that the Coda doesn’t seem to have the same synergy with my new GamuT RS5i speakers. The GamuT‘s definitely prefer tubes. I just bought the Coda and now I’m considering selling it. Does this Audiophile insanity ever stop?
I'm a bit surprised that Coda n.16 does not have a satisfying synergy with Gamut speakers. Gamut produce solid state amps only, and their widely appreciated d200i has some similar specifications with Coda's amp.
With tube amp probably you'll got much light and pleasant midrange while losing bass control and overall speed.
Let us know your decision in the future...

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
My Coda 16 played superbly with my TAD ME-1 stand mount speakers. Highly recommend. My problem now is that the Coda doesn’t seem to have the same synergy with my new GamuT RS5i speakers. The GamuT‘s definitely prefer tubes. I just bought the Coda and now I’m considering selling it. Does this Audiophile insanity ever stop?

What do you not like about the sound ?

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I posted above about buying the Benchmark AHB2 instead of the CODA #8. Well I got a second AHB2 and also bought a used CODA CSi8 integrated (a July 2018 build). Not exactly the same as the #8 but supposed to very close sound wise and identical configuration wise. I got Version 1 with 150 watt and fist 18 Class A. I compared the mono AHB2s vs the CODA CSiB and liked both. I decided on the AHB2 because for the increased clarity in sound. I also have an all Benchmark stack and the AHB2 was just better, cannot ignore component synergy either.

However, the CODA is an amazing integrated and the amp section was more than adequate power wise for my notoriously power hungry Thiel CS 3.7's. A single AHB2 was not cutting it power wise. I was 80%+ on the volume dial for only 65dB of sound. The CODA CSiB had a lot more room to move on the volume dial as does the mono AHB2's.

I am using the CSiB as a headphone amp for my RAAL SR1a headphones. It is amazing on this application. The Benchmark AHB2 was awful as a headphone amp with the RAAL SR1a. The RAAL are pretty amazing and I think a lot of 2 channel folks would like it. The sound is unlike other normal headphones. It is like speakers attached to your ears.

Now that I dipped my toes in with the CODA sound I will try and do a home demo of the CODA #16 and their top end pre-amp with the Yamaha NS5000 speaker. It is now the right time to build out that system. I heard the Yamaha with the Yamaha 5000 series separates and after hearing the CSiB I believe the CODA #8 or #16 would be a good match.

BTW - Whenever I saw photos of CODA gear I was not that impressed. However, now that I own a CSiB and see it up close I think the CODA is a rather attractive piece.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I posted above about buying the Benchmark AHB2 instead of the CODA #8. Well I got a second AHB2 and also bought a used CODA CSi8 integrated (a July 2018 build). Not exactly the same as the #8 but supposed to very close sound wise and identical configuration wise. I got Version 1 with 150 watt and fist 18 Class A. I compared the mono AHB2s vs the CODA CSiB and liked both. I decided on the AHB2 because for the increased clarity in sound. I also have an all Benchmark stack and the AHB2 was just better, cannot ignore component synergy either.

However, the CODA is an amazing integrated and the amp section was more than adequate power wise for my notoriously power hungry Thiel CS 3.7's. A single AHB2 was not cutting it power wise. I was 80%+ on the volume dial for only 65dB of sound. The CODA CSiB had a lot more room to move on the volume dial as does the mono AHB2's.

I am using the CSiB as a headphone amp for my RAAL SR1a headphones. It is amazing on this application. The Benchmark AHB2 was awful as a headphone amp with the RAAL SR1a. The RAAL are pretty amazing and I think a lot of 2 channel folks would like it. The sound is unlike other normal headphones. It is like speakers attached to your ears.

Now that I dipped my toes in with the CODA sound I will try and do a home demo of the CODA #16 and their top end pre-amp with the Yamaha NS5000 speaker. It is now the right time to build out that system. I heard the Yamaha with the Yamaha 5000 series separates and after hearing the CSiB I believe the CODA #8 or #16 would be a good match.

BTW - Whenever I saw photos of CODA gear I was not that impressed. However, now that I own a CSiB and see it up close I think the CODA is a rather attractive piece.

Ask for the no. 16 without VU meters to save approx $3000 USD! Also the 15.5 sometimes can be modded by coda to have the same low noise output transistors for a substantial savings and very close to no 16 performance. I look forward to your thoughts on either of those and the NS5000. I have been really curious about ns5000 but it seems not many people have them.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I am the person that told you about the 15.5 mods. :)

My issue right now is convincing the wife to put a speaker where the kids play area is (our living room). It will happen one day, I am hoping in 2021.

Reactions: tobiasrankin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing