Combine different power cord brands. A good idea?

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
Try to start my first own thread. No experience, but here we go.....

Let me start by saying that I'm intrigued by "power". The biggest steps forward for me had always to do with power (and interlinks), and of course providing the equipment you have are of a certain level to accommodate . But back to power, here, think about dedicated lines from the main distribution panel to the wall sockets in my listening room, dedicated circuit breaker, hifi grade wall sockets, and yes, even fuses.....

But this thread is about power cords.

There are different opinions on using different power cords to balance the sounds of high end system. It varies from using different "inter-brand" power cords levels to using different power cords from different brands. Off course any brand will try to convince you to use their complete loom from wall to speaker, but is that really the right solution?

I have tried mixing AQ (Niagara and Hurricane/Firebird; my original set-up) with Synergistic Research power cords, and that was not a succes at all. It did work perfectly fine though together with Schnerzinger, but that is maybe because I have Scherzinger interconnects. At this moment, I'm "injecting" Nordost Valhalla 2 power cords. Adding one to my preamp sounded "off" in terms of timing, but two, adding one to my DAC, was let's say, interesting in combination with Firebirds and the Niagara 5000. I'm considering to add one from the wall socket to the Niagara to see how that will work out. Just trying since this weekend, but I think I like it. I have more details in the higher frequencies and a more tight low with more air and less "boom", while keeping the balance right. I need to give it more time of course to "break in", but might report back if members are interested in this thread.

What is your view?

Cheers!

Power cords seem to either have synergy with component they’re powering… or not.

I think matching the power cord to the component is the best course.

You may end up with one brand, but you may not.

I’ve gone through many from AudioQuest, Shunyata, Nordost, Transparent, Burmester, and played mix and match games looking for the best synergy for amps, preamps, phono preamps, DACs, transports, SACD/CD players, etc.

I’ve ended up with Transparent Connoisseur level, but could have been happy with many of the others along the way. My first jump was from stock to AQ Hurricane level, and it made a difference on my ARC Reference 250SE amps. Enough so, that I started experimenting with other brands and components.

I’ve bought mostly used in order to avoid the big hits. In the end, I have a mixture of new and recent used Transparents, and I’m pretty much done.

It’s pretty personal, and definitely system dependent. I don’t think it is wise to make general statements or rules. Try some experiments and see what your ears tell you for your system.

Power cords seem to either have synergy with component they’re powering… or not. <snip>

It’s pretty personal, and definitely system dependent. I don’t think it is wise to make general statements or rules. <snip>
Yeah, I gotta agree. Looms do help but only if you get the correct loom. Change out a piece(s) of gear? That may no longer be the loom for you......and one has to replace at great expense.

I have (as of late) been smitten with Snake River Audio cables. RAL, AS, Audiolund, Shunyata and others still remain within the system though. Certain cables in certain spots simply have the synergy that other cables (IME) can't touch.

Tom

Reactions: Cellcbern
Power cords seem to either have synergy with component they’re powering… or not.

I’ve gone through many from AudioQuest, Shunyata, Nordost, Transparent, Burmester, and played mix and match games looking for the best synergy for amps, preamps, phono preamps, DACs, transports, SACD/CD players, etc.

I’ve ended up with Transparent Connoisseur level, but could have been happy with many of the others along the way. My first jump was from stock to AQ Hurricane level, and it made a difference on my ARC Reference 250SE amps. Enough so, that I started experimenting with other brands and components.

I’ve bought mostly used in order to avoid the big hits. In the end, I have a mixture of new and recent used Transparents, and I’m pretty much done.

It’s pretty personal, and definitely system dependent. I don’t think it is wise to make general statements or rules. Try some experiments and see what your ears tell you for your system.
indeed, good to add that the synergy with the components is important. Not only for the power cables but basically the right balance of components, interconnects, power cables, accessories etc will eventually bring you your preferred sound.

But for me, “power” was the most surprising “affordable” element in the chain that made most and maybe unexpected impact , and am surprised over and over again what this can do.

I will happily experiment further :)

FYI: https://www.theaudiobeat.com/visits/audio_exotics.htm:

Excerpt (paragraph 10, right below the 2nd photo): "....but Audio Exotics selects individual power cables for each and every item in the system. So the record player and line stage each get a Vertere HB power lead, while the phono stage is fed with a Dalby Abisha cable and the amps each get a Skogrand Beethoven AC lead....".

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing