New Dedicated 20A Circuit Wiring Questions

Robes

Aug 21, 2017
Bigfork, Montana
Hello All-

Sorry for the length but I spent allot of time trying to make this as clear as possible and straight forward with all info I felt relevant.

I had a low grade buzz/hum in my current system, had to upgrade home power service to 200A and ran a dedicated line to the stereo while at it. The house also has a home surge protector on incoming power now.

Overall Thoughts on Wiring (with time to make changes if necessary)
I have 12/2 solid Romex with Hubbell PVC 1-gang box and Hubbell extra HD hospital, isolated ground #IG8300R outlet. To this red/orange outlet, the ZeroSurg with a duplex outlet is plugged in (using the ZeroSurg equipped power line).

Into 1 of the outlets of the ZeroSurg is plugged a new AntiCables level 3 power cord. This power cord then feeds into a Lowell Mfg 12” 15A (w/breaker) 7 outlet power strip. The power strip then supplies the stereo needs. Of Note here are a number of Anticable L3 power cord reviews that documented owners who experienced a decrease in noise (out the speakers) with use. Yes, that influenced me, wouldn’t that be a nice benefit.

The pathway noted in above paragraph was recommended to me by Paul (owner) from AntiCables. Paul also recommended plugging all my stereo components into the power strip that now serves the 20A dedicated line.

Curious about any recommendations to better this with additional info supplied below. Due to reading on this forum and others I have questions concerning noise from ground loop and/or RFI, EM which I want to keep in check.

Some facts about my vintage system to keep in mind:
1) I’m thinking the cleanest AC will be that which has passed through the ZeroSurge, then through the Anticable power line and offered in the power strip to the stereo?

2) Not to forget, there is one extra outlet left open on the Hubble duplex 20A outlet of the dedicated line after the Zerosurg was plugged into it. There is also 1 outlet available on the duplex outlet of the Zerosurg after the other was taken by the Anticable L3 power cord supplying the power strip. Of course the available extra Zerosurge outlet is Zerosurg protected where-as the extra Hubble outlet is only protected by the Home surge protector.

3) My Yamaha C-85 Control Amplifier (Pre) has 6 AC outlets available on its rear panel, 5 switched and 1 unswitched. My Yamaha M-65 Class A Power Amplifier has 1 available unswitched AC outlet.

Things I’ve read of concern, and should I alter Paul’s wiring recommendation?
A) I have the SOTA Total Eclipse Package on my VPI Prime Turntable. The prime power is now delivered through the “Condor PSU” - Wall Wart; 24VDC 500mA and the “Road Runner Tachometer (RR)” - Wall Wart; 9VDC 300mA.

B) I also have a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus, also a Wall Wart; 12VDC 200mA. Digital; my Pioneer Multi-Play CD, PD-M700.

Concern is 3 Wall Warts and a digital CD player. Simply put, I’ve read that these components by some audiophiles are dealt with independently of the analog direct 20A line. Seems the consensus is “wall warts” and “digital” are additional unwanted noise to the line (question here is a DAC digital?). Conundrum, 2 of those wall warts are my Prime! I have to have my turntable on the dedicated line don’t I? I don’t want to run 2,3,4-6 dedicated 20A lines, my system is far from that deserving.

So, to be complete; I have a Audiocontrol Octave Equalizer & Spectrum Analyzer which probably could be plugged into the power strip, Pre amp, or Power amp. Any preference that any of my components be plugged into the PreAmp/Amp components vs the power strip? I also have a VCR and Blu-Ray which I have plugged into a separate circuit on the wall, I have 4 more outlets of that non dedicated house circuit open.

In summary, if using Paul’s recommendation (all stereo components plug into Power strip). I would have 3 wall warts (including the 1- Dac and 2- TT), a digital CD player, Power Amp, Pre Amp (or plug Pre into available Amp outlet?), and EQ all on the dedicated line. Should “wall warts” or certain ones go to the wall outlets? Are there any benefits to plug a component into extra outlets on rear of Pre-amp vs into the power strip?

Dedicated isolated ground
I have read that a good method to wire ground wires was by using a “star” shaped ground bar but never found any online. So, I have a 4” length brass bar with 10 screws for securing ground wires and all my stereo components metal chassis ground wires run to it. Some components have thumb screws to attach your wires & others came with wire attached, all different sizes, strand or solid. I used what was given and also used sometimes size 14 copper. For no apparent reason I attached chassis grounds to the bar from both ends toward the middle, both ends equally ascending in size from small stranded to larger sizes toward the middle. Therefore, the center wire on the bar was the “main ground wire” & largest size (12) that will run directly to the Hubbell duplex outlet green grounding screw that also secures the 12/2 ground wire of the dedicated 20A line.

There are no other grounds run to that dedicated line except the “main ground line” from the brass bar. The 12/2 Romex is not encased by conduit, the Hubbell outlet is within a PVC single gang box. At the 200A service box the dedicated ground attaches closest to the incoming main house ground serving the house panel and other end at outlet as described.

If looking at my ground bar (from LT to RT) the components order (determined only by size & luck of the draw) resulted as follows: EQ CD Sota-Motor VPI-Main-Bearing MainGND-Line PreAmp+Amp Condor+RR DAC TruSweep. The MainGND-Line size 12 runs to Hubbell green GND screw.

Note: the PreAmp+Amp as well as the Condor+RR, both sets of grounds, were daisy chained in line, containing the 2 component chassis grounds as indicated(+) & secured to ground bar on 1 screw each as all others.

Any problems with this grounding scheme?

Thanks for any input you may have-
Robes

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing