Does Everything Make a Difference?

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I definitely hear my system differently when I am hosting another audiophile. I don't think it's their mass :), but somehow I hear it through their ears more. For instance, I will hear negative aspects I never heard when listening with someone and they will comment on these things too. This has happened time and time again. Apart from visual cues, I think there is some kind of neural link that happens! Not that I can describe this or understand it. Although it sounds like so much WOO, its been a repeatable experience for me.

Reactions: Bobvin

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
I definitely hear my system differently when I am hosting another audiophile. I don't think it's their mass :), but somehow I hear it through their ears more. For instance, I will hear negative aspects I never heard when listening with someone and they will comment on these things too. This has happened time and time again. Apart from visual cues, I think there is some kind of neural link that happens! Not that I can describe this or understand it. Although it sounds like so much WOO, its been a repeatable experience for me.
suggest you listen with a feline instead. no judgement. ;) Except during break-in. When our feline runs through and past the listening room, I'm usually in despair about the bad sound from break-in (we both dislike frequencies out of balance). When we both settle down (and my wife stops asking me to turn down the volume), it is a good sign that break-in is complete.

Reactions: Bobvin and wil

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
When I had my cat she would roll around and meow near the speakers when good sounding violin music was playing :)

Reactions: Bobvin and PYP

Geoffkait

Feb 2, 2024
Falls Church, Va
It could very well be something as “ordinary” as your audiophile visitor brings his watch and or cellphone with him into the room. Watches and clocks have the peculiar effect of degrading the sound. As I stated previously somewhere watches and clocks in rooms at big HiFi shows are one very big reason the sound usually sucks. I wrote a paper on it with Peter Belt, it wasn’t that long ago.

Best to have visitors check them in at the door. Experiment: take all watches, clocks and cellphones to another room and listen again. Then bring them back into the room. Ugh, right?

Last edited:

Geoffkait

Feb 2, 2024
Falls Church, Va
yesterday, for a while the setup wasn't sounding very good. I noticed that there was a lot of static when I touched metal objects. Last night it was sounding more normal. Today it rained and the sound is wonderful.

Did the rain affect both the setup and my mood? How can you separate these? We are the last variable in any hifi system.
The best conditions IMO for listening are high pressure, sunny and high humidity. The best times to listen are early in the morning and very late at night. The best day/time is Sunday morning. Of course, there are many other variables so that makes it a little more difficult to lay blame.

Last edited:

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
The best conditions IMO for listening are high pressure, sunny and high humidity. The best times to listen are early in the morning and very late at night. The best day/time is Sunday morning. Of course, there are many other variables so that makes it a little more difficult to lay blame.
after the right amount of exercise (not too little or too much), with natural cannabinoids circulating in the body, listening is very enjoyable. Basically, the greater the relaxation the better the sound (for me). In a relaxed state, even a car radio can be enjoyed. And the limited frequency range always provides a new perspective of the song.

Reactions: wil and hopkins

wil

Jul 22, 2015
after the right amount of exercise (not too little or too much), with natural cannabinoids circulating in the body, listening is very enjoyable. Basically, the greater the relaxation the better the sound (for me). In a relaxed state, even a car radio can be enjoyed. And the limited frequency range always provides a new perspective of the song.
Often in early morning, the system seems to have an extra degree of quiet (aka lower noise floor floor?).

The question I’ve been unable to answer:
Is this due to better power from the mains at 5am?
Or is it because my hearing and mind are a fresh slate first thing in the morning?
Or perhaps a combination of these two factors?

Reactions: PYP

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Often in early morning, the system seems to have an extra degree of quiet (aka lower noise floor floor?).

Or is it because my hearing and mind are a fresh slate first thing in the morning?

My guess is both.

Geoffkait

Feb 2, 2024
Falls Church, Va

Less automobiles, trucks and buses and subways, trains on the road/tracks so less extremely low freq. vibration. More humid when it’s cooler in the morning. As the day heats up humidity generally goes down. Also less microwave activity, other RF sources. But if the room temperature was significantly lower (bowls of ice water) on the floor you would hear a difference. It would sound better!

Last edited:

Geoffkait

Feb 2, 2024
Falls Church, Va
It always sounds good when it rains. Weather has a huge impact on sound velocity by affecting humidity, pressure and temperature. Sound velocity is very important to final sound. It changes the sound propagation pattern
But if temperature is uniform everywhere in the room you won’t hear any difference because it’s the velocity of sound that’s affected, but very little, as the various frequencies of the sound would all travel at the same velocity.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
But if temperature is uniform everywhere in the room you won’t hear any difference because it’s the velocity of sound that’s affected, but very little, as the various frequencies of the sound would all travel at the same velocity.
I meant the temperature differences due to weather. Temperature difference between yesterday and today, because of rain, snow etc.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019

In my case, an extra degree of quiet early in the morning is usually due to the volume being turned right down for fear of waking up everyone else in the house with my music

Last edited:

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
It could very well be something as “ordinary” as your audiophile visitor brings his watch and or cellphone with him into the room. Watches and clocks have the peculiar effect of degrading the sound. As I stated previously somewhere watches and clocks in rooms at big HiFi shows are one very big reason the sound usually sucks. I wrote a paper on it with Peter Belt, it wasn’t that long ago.

Best to have visitors check them in at the door. Experiment: take all watches, clocks and cellphones to another room and listen again. Then bring them back into the room. Ugh, right?
Or it could be that you’ve simply moved from your ideal listening position to give your guest the best position.

The most obvious reasonS for sound sucking at hi-fi shows are:
Very high ambient noise levels
Very high seismic vibration
Less than optimum rooms…size, shape, reverberation time
EMI soup from all the switched mode power supplies and chargers
Very poor network bandwith
Very high network traffic
Overloaded mains supply
Poor quality mains infrastructure
unstable room acoustics as # visitors change
Lack of equipment equilibration time
Lots of new gear insufficiently run in

Last edited:

Geoffkait

Feb 2, 2024
Falls Church, Va
I didn’t mean to imply there aren’t many others reasons. Thanks for the nice list of the “usual suspects.“ I suspect the Group Mind is aware of them. What the Group Mind is not aware of is watches and cellphones. We won‘t talk about all the empty beer and wine bottles lying around. :)

Last edited:

Geoffkait

Feb 2, 2024
Falls Church, Va
That sounds suspiciously like an old wives tale. That would not be a good look at a HiFi showroom or CES. Maybe OK for in home demos.

Last edited:

Geoffkait

Feb 2, 2024
Falls Church, Va
As I slowly removed CDs from my listening room over the past month or so the sound slowly improved, more air, deeper and wider soundstage, and more natural tonality. AND MORE INFORMATION, intricate details. Like a big weight had been lifted. I now keep current rotation in my room only. The better sound was in the room all along, I just couldn’t hear it properly because of the interference (noise and distortion) of certain specific things nearby, in this case CDs. Ironically most audiophiles probably think that CDs and LPs in the room help the sound by acting as dampers or diffusers and the more the merrier!. :)

I don’t believe *everything* makes a difference but I do believe certain specific things are TOXIC and make a big difference. The difficulty is knowing which is which.

The law of maximization: No matter how much you have in the end you would have had even more if you had started out with more.

Some things make you big, some

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing