Suggestions for new house dedicated power set-up

mauidj

Mar 28, 2022
I posted this in another forum by mistake...sorry!

We have just moved to Panama and are about to start building our new house.
I want to maximize the power circuits for my system without going totally over the top.

I currently use a Denali 6000S v2 to power my Luxman C900u, D10x and Lumin X1
My Luxman M-900 goes straight to the wall.
I then have an older Hydra4 that powers my SME turntable and Soundsmith Strain Gauge controller.
I also have a computer system comprising a Mac Mini, Cisco Switch and a Asus router that need power.

I was planning on having 4 independent 20 amp lines going to the wall behind the stand.

I have seen some pretty cool dedicated circuits discussed here (@Kingrex ) but I am a bit shy to spend those big bucks.

Question…..
What should I plug the computer accessories into?
What circuit breakers would be a good choice without breaking the bank.
Should I get a better quality panel etc....

I have the perfect opportunity to do this well so I would like to make it as good as possible within a reasonable budget.

Many thanks.

I don't know Panama code.
Running 4 dedicated circuits all on the same phase in 10 awg wire for 120/240 volt power will be just fine.

Keep all the grounds and neutrals as close to the utility neutal as you can. Use Deoxit and all copper.

Reactions: mauidj
Thank you very much for the advice Rex.
I assume that you can’t recommend breakers because of the difference in code between Panama and the USA?

...how individual breakers "mount" into the panel/buss assembly is not universal. Different brands require different shaped breakers. Here are a couple I had lying around. SquareD and Eaton, I think they were:IMG_0206.jpegIMG_0205.jpeg

I will talk to the electrician and get some idea of what is used out here and then hopefully you might be able to give me some suggestions. Thank you so much for all your help.

...even the brand (photo) of your panel would likely be a good start. But please don't poke around inside if you are not experienced and comfortable with that kind of work.

Don’t have a brand yet….we start to build the house next month. I want to get this decided so I can have the electrician do the poking
However I did build a dedicated supply for my last house without getting fried! But now is the opportunity to do it right way from the start.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus
Based on what I’ll be doing for my AC power supply delivery in my dedicated basement listening room, I have a few suggestions:

1) use identical heavy-gauge copper (high quality generic multi-conductor will be just fine) cables for both live and neutral wires between your sub-MCB box and your duplexes. 8 or 9 AWG (mine will be 6mm2) is about as thick as possible for it to remain practical and usable (twistability, and fit to the duplex via a mini spade crimping collar, and fit into the breaker)

2) twist together the live and neutral cables to minimize magnetic inductance. As the cable will be stiff and unwieldy, just do the best; the twist interval will likely turn out to be around 3-4 full twists per foot

3) keep the length of the ground conductor the SAME, ie. determine the length of the longest piece needed, and use that same length for all of the other shorter distances between breaker and duplex. This is to ensure that the ground cable resistance is equal among all of your duplexes. I’ll be using a 7AWG (100mm2) copper multi-conductor cable for my setup to ensure a ultra-low-resistance ground path between my six duplexes and my sub-MCB box

Last edited:
Based on what I’ll be doing for my AC power supply delivery in my dedicated basement listening room, I have a few suggestions:

1) use identical heavy-gauge copper (high quality generic multi-conductor will be just fine) cables for both live and neutral wires between your sub-MCB box and your duplexes. 8 or 9 AWG (mine will be 6mm2) is about as thick as possible for it to remain practical and usable (twistability, and fit to the duplex via a mini spade crimping collar, and fit into the breaker)

2) twist together the live and neutral cables to minimize magnetic inductance. As the cable will be stiff and unwieldy, just do the best; the twist interval will likely turn out to be around 3-4 full twists per foot

3) keep the length of the ground conductor the SAME, ie. determine the length of the longest piece needed, and use that same length for all of the other shorter distances between breaker and duplex. This is to ensure that the ground cable resistance is equal among all of your duplexes. I’ll be using a 7AWG (100mm2) copper multi-conductor cable for my setup to ensure a ultra-low-resistance ground path between my six duplexes and my sub-MCB box
Hi.
Thanks for the info...much appreciated.
OK so I'm confused or a bit dim.
You say to use a generic multi conductor cable for live and neutral.
Does that mean that you use just one conductor from each cable? Then you twist these 2 cables? Then run a separate ground using another multi core cable?

Hi.
Does that mean that you use just one conductor from each cable? Then you twist these 2 cables? Then run a separate ground using another multi core cable?
Generic copper wire will not give you the sound quality of the Audience "Hidden Treasure" In Wall wire. It is more expensive but worth it. Highly recommend this wire and Furutech or ETI 's top tier wall Duplex. Note that in my experience it is a rare system that would need more than two dedicated lines. The equipment you listed would not strain the capacity of a single dedicated line.

FYI: https://audience-av.com/oem-diy-parts/hidden-treasure-in-wall-ac-cable/

Last edited:
Generic copper wire will not give you the sound quality of the Audience "Hidden Treasure" In Wall wire. It is more expensive but worth it. Highly recommend this wire and Furutech or ETI 's top tier wall Duplex. Note that in my experience it is a rare system that would need more than two dedicated lines. The equipment you listed would not strain the capacity of a single dedicated line.

FYI: https://audience-av.com/oem-diy-parts/hidden-treasure-in-wall-ac-cable/
Will need to figure out the runs. Still not sure where the sub panel will be. And maybe I dont need Hidden Treasure on all the runs.
I'm thinking one duplex for the Power amp. One for the Shunyata Denali going to pre amp and all my sources. Then one for the turntable and Strain Gauge control box via a Shunyata conditioner. And one for the ancillaries like computer, router, bridge etc.
Meanwhile I have a couple of the Shunyata duplexes. How do you think they stack up?

Hi.
The following URL shows an image of a PVC-sheathed generic copper cable. Green is the typical sheath color for the Ground cable. Black is the typical sheath color for Neutral. There are a variety of sheath colors for Live.

Download the PDF and you'll see a variety of gauges, ie. nominal areas of 4mm, 6mm and 10mm (each having seven conductor strands loosely spiralled in a multi-strand configuration). For each dedicated duplex feed, I’ll be using 2x6mm for the Live+Neutral and 1x10mm for the Ground.

"Twisting" means that one takes a pair of these sheathed cables (Neutral and Live) and spiral them over each other in intervals of 3-4 inches per foot.

Last edited:
So you use single core cable...Ok now I understand. Thought you were using multi core Romex. Many thanks.

Many thanks mate...I haven't do so yet but it looks like a good read!
For your consideration, the Block Audio C-Lock. For the finishing touch to prevent bulky power cables sagging at the receptacle, I have found nothing quite like it. I use them on the AC receptacles for my amplifiers and power conditioner supporting the source equipment.

For your consideration, the Block Audio C-Lock. For the finishing touch to prevent bulky power cables sagging at the receptacle, I have found nothing quite like it. I use them on the AC receptacles for my amplifiers and power conditioner supporting the source equipment.
I love the look of those! Which one do you use? The SE or SE2? Shunyata make a faceplate with a support collar but nothing like this. https://shunyata.com/products/accessories/cable-cradle-wall-plate/ And at $98 each are not cheap.
Definitely adding a few of these to my shopping list.
Many thanks!

Reactions: mxk116
I love the look of those! Which one do you use? The SE or SE2? Shunyata make a faceplate with a support collar but nothing like this. https://shunyata.com/products/accessories/cable-cradle-wall-plate/ And at $98 each are not cheap.
Definitely adding a few of these to my shopping list.
Many thanks!
SE2. I’ve tried the Shunyata cable cradle but it really doesn’t compare. It’s a fixed cradle while the C-Lock screws tight onto the cable plug.

IMG_3107.jpeg

I'm sold for sure. So what duplex its that?

I'm sold for sure. So what duplex its that?
It’s a FIM Model 880 AC Receptacle. IIRC, FIM stands for First Impression Music. Japanese made, 20 amp, ceramic body, will accept up to 8 gauge wire. Tighter bass and darker/quieter backgrounds than the stock AC outlets they replaced. I purchased them many years ago, not certain if FIM is still in business.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing