Congratulations every time you buy a component

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You get congratulations when you get married, or announce your engagement. You don't get it as a youngster for every girl you date, have a short term fling with, etc. So why do people congratulate every time someone purchases a component?

You get a congrats from friends after you purchase a house to live in. But as a college kid, every 6 months or a year when you rented a new place, or changed bunk beds, you didn't? So why every time you purchase a component?

In sports, you get a congrats when you hit a big landmark. Not every time you score a run or bowl a ball or even score a goal. So why every time you purchase a component?

You never get congratulated for every meal. Not even when you have a great one. Not even when you cook a great one. So why for every component you purchase?

Feel free to add to the list. Or counter with another one

Imagine, someone says I have moved from 1 dose of marijuana to two of cocaine.

Wow congrats.

this is a hobby, and part of a hobby is encouragement to other hobbyist's. some never join in. a community is not for everyone. and when we have a forum participant who seems to post only negative things, it stands out as a pariah mostly. that's not any accident.

congrats are simply positive reinforcement and a degree of recognition. friends supporting friends.

OTOH maybe you are the Marc-Andre Leclerc of hifi? and it's not real unless you do it 'solo'. and 'solo' meaning singular and apart. it's heroic, but not how most of us are. this forum, your hifi tourism, would not exist were it not for the aspect of recognition. the value of recognition varies from person to person, and acquisition to acquisition, but it's a part. the human condition.

every human relationship has a recognition side to it.....in some way. i get it can seem empty and mundane from a particular perspective. but we should not over-think it, and just roll with it. a part of the fabric of a healthy neighborhood.

Last edited:
Is this a "glass half full" type scenario?

You get congratulations when you get married, or announce your engagement. You don't get it as a youngster for every girl you date, have a short term fling with, etc. So why do people congratulate every time someone purchases a component?

You get a congrats from friends after you purchase a house to live in. But as a college kid, every 6 months or a year when you rented a new place, or changed bunk beds, you didn't? So why every time you purchase a component?

In sports, you get a congrats when you hit a big landmark. Not every time you score a run or bowl a ball or even score a goal. So why every time you purchase a component?

You never get congratulated for every meal. Not even when you have a great one. Not even when you cook a great one. So why for every component you purchase?

Feel free to add to the list. Or counter with another one

Congratulations on WBF are quite selective. It is usually the very expensive or the most exclusive components or systems that get the most congratulations. Also, there was a time when few, if any, congratulated anyone who bought horn speakers. You know that time very well, Ked.

I remember once told Bonzo no congratulation on my audio purchase. Anyone with $ can do. He understood me. Congrats for me are for people achieving something through efforts.

Bonzo, if and when you ever get a full system that you can listen to at home, will you be surprised if Marc and Tang offer you congratulations? It will surely be as monumental an event as a marriage.
I don't think I will congratulate him. I think I will laugh at him and say dude you are making such a big big mistake.

Buying a new equipment is like marriage. One goes through a honeymoon period where everything seems rosy only to later discover the cons. The difference is that one can start the process all over again and for that, a congratulation is on order.

I don't think I will congratulate him. I think I will laugh at him and say dude you are making such a big big mistake.

Exactly. When people tell me I don't have a system they don't realize who the joke is on.

Last edited:
Reactions: gian60
There’s always a better feeling when you sell a piece of audio equipment than buy one. The congratulations should come when the system gels together.

I was just about to say this. Selling is the point for congratulations

We can congratulate micro on the lamm when he sells it..

Reactions: Lagonda
Buying a new equipment is like marriage. One goes through a honeymoon period where everything seems rosy only to later discover the cons. The difference is that one can start the process all over again and for that, a congratulation is on order.

All Kim Kardashians here

Reactions: tima
It's like, just how many candles do you want on that cake?
And can you imagine the speeches, "I'd just like to thank my dealer and those marvellous fellows on the forum..." etc etc until the tears flow.
And maybe your psychoanalyst can let you go when you tell yourself you've reached another level...or is that book you in for ANOTHER few years of therapy?
Most of all, when does your poor long suffering partner decide to congratulate you?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75
I totally agree it's silly to say "congrats" in response to an acquisition - many of us do change gear like underwear. So I stopped saying it a while ago (maybe slipped once or twice in an inebriated haze). I'll toss in a friendly "awesome, enjoy!" now and then to feel less like a curmudgeon.

this is a hobby, and part of a hobby is encouragement to other hobbyist's. . . .

congrats are simply positive reinforcement and a degree of recognition. friends supporting friends.

+1

Since I am listening on my AF3P with Chinese Porcelain the kind of congratulations received is becoming very "special" ;-)

IMG_7449.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing