Connector p*rn

A14FEE3A-CAC2-4DCC-A10F-BC7954DB1158.jpeg
“I know it when I see it” runs the quote and I’ll throw this picture out for your delectation. These have now been sent out to a couple of local WBF members and I’ll leave them chime in with their thoughts on sound quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mark. Yes I ordered a pair to see whether they were useful or not - I didnt have particularly high expectations after all they are only sockets lol (or so I thought).

I decided to undertake the requisite change on my NVO Spa II phono stage output. After installation I played familiar music and immediately noticed a much quieter noise floor. Actually so much so, that I turned up the volume more and couldn’t hear anything so thought it wasn’t on until music burst into the room. Strange since I didn’t see anything wrong with the existing plugs.

The sound was fuller in the mid bass with rich tone and lots of space. Bottom end hefty per Bocch mains plugs.

All in all a great little upgrade. I shall implement elsewhere.

Attachments

• 609173E1-6823-43F3-B500-B1B3CA764A79.jpeg
    609173E1-6823-43F3-B500-B1B3CA764A79.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
Reactions: Sablon Audio
Thanks Mark. Yes I ordered a pair to see whether they were useful or not - I didnt have particularly high expectations after all they are only sockets lol (or so I thought).

I decided to undertake the requisite change on my NVO Spa II phono stage output. After installation I played familiar music and immediately noticed a much quieter noise floor. Actually so much so, that I turned up the volume more and couldn’t hear anything so thought it wasn’t on until music burst into the room. Strange since I didn’t see anything wrong with the existing plugs.

The sound was fuller in the mid bass with rich tone and lots of space. Bottom end hefty per Bocch mains plugs.

All in all a great little upgrade. I shall implement elsewhere.
excellent news Bill, I’m hoping mine give me an equal uptick however I need to enlarge the holes in the wooden chassis before I can proceed.

Reactions: Sablon Audio
I did need to replace the copper ground cross wire - there is 1 ground wire that bridges both sockets. I used a higher guage. The grub screws make it easy to terminate.

OCD got better of me after seeing the photo. Reduced the thread on outside - now on inside lol.

Attachments

• E9B7FCFA-CEEF-4DB8-8684-0CCC4330DDE1.jpeg
    E9B7FCFA-CEEF-4DB8-8684-0CCC4330DDE1.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 41
Bill are the grounds directly connected to chassis? If so, and no noise was added, that could be as responsible for improvements as anything, or solely the improvement. With several designs I have to keep isolation but cutting a small slot between the RCA's, as the improvement is very audible; but running direct connection does the same thing. .

Bill are the grounds directly connected to chassis? If so, and no noise was added, that could be as responsible for improvements as anything, or solely the improvement. With several designs I have to keep isolation but cutting a small slot between the RCA's, as the improvement is very audible; but running direct connection does the same thing. .

Hi,

No the grounds aren’t connected to chassis. I left the grounding scheme identical to before just enlarged the gauge of wire used. It is the bare wire in the picture - it isn’t touching any chassis either.

But it looks like it makes contact from the nut, as the wire goes into a metal piece that looks to be touching the nut? Is there an insulator somewhere I can't see?

But it looks like it makes contact from the nut, as the wire goes into a metal piece that looks to be touching the nut? Is there an insulator somewhere I can't see?

That is very good point. It is as I can’t see an insulator between that and the chassis nut as you correctly pointed out. I can see the insulation on the old sockets adjacent.

Hopefully Barry will install his tomorrow so we know whether the socket itself has benefit.

There's nothing wrong with that so long as you don't get any audible noise from it. In fact it's a big advantage as you don't have to cut the line between them as I talked about. (although it looks like your other sockets could use the line) That is at least, for ultimate performance.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill
There's nothing wrong with that so long as you don't get any audible noise from it. In fact it's a big advantage as you don't have to cut the line between them as I talked about. (although it looks like your other sockets could use the line) That is at least, for ultimate performance.

I was taking another look just now. That white ring you can see on the back is separated from the black and red rings so can easily be replaced to the other side hence insulating it from the chassis. That said, being that I have much lower noise now, I’ll stick with what I did (by accident).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing