Considering Esoteric….what do I need to know?

Jackl3y

Sep 9, 2022
Specifically looking at the F-03a as it has a preamp out, preamp in so I could expand it. Plus it’s class A.

I have not heard Esoteric and there’s no dealers in my area. So what do I need to know?

While reviews always seem positive, I’ve seen much chatter about Esoteric sounding “dry” and “soulless “. Why do people have this idea about them?

I think the “dry and soulless” typically referred to their pre-Master Discrete digital offerings. I would guess that people with Esoteric amps probably bought them to go with their Esoteric digital gear, so the amps may have been tarnished by association.
All that aside, I like my F03A a lot as long as I’m not trying to drive a difficult load. Pretty much every speaker I’ve had on hand with sensitivity in the 90s has responded well to the F03A. The class A output should not present as dry/ soulless unless something is up with the partnering gear. Harley’s review in TAS a few years ago was fair, imo. As I expect you may be aware, good deals on dealer demos now available, as the unit has been replaced by newer model, of which I know nothing. Happy hunting.
Parker

Reactions: Jackl3y
I think the “dry and soulless” typically referred to their pre-Master Discrete digital offerings. I would guess that people with Esoteric amps probably bought them to go with their Esoteric digital gear, so the amps may have been tarnished by association.
All that aside, I like my F03A a lot as long as I’m not trying to drive a difficult load. Pretty much every speaker I’ve had on hand with sensitivity in the 90s has responded well to the F03A. The class A output should not present as dry/ soulless unless something is up with the partnering gear. Harley’s review in TAS a few years ago was fair, imo. As I expect you may be aware, good deals on dealer demos now available, as the unit has been replaced by newer model, of which I know nothing. Happy hunting.
Parker
Thank you, yes I did read that review. I will ponder deeper. Thank you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu