Curious about Coda Technologies

Jackl3y

Sep 9, 2022
My current amp is good. It’s an Odyssey Kismet stereo amplifier. But I’m looking at Coda. I’m. Or unhappy mi d you, but looking to move to the next level.
I see them mentioned and always with positive remarks. I haven’t heard any but I feel like, from what I’ve read, I have an idea on it’s tonality. But I have questions…
Tthere's the Continuum series, the #8 and #16 but what about the S5.5? I see the S series amps are more/completely class A. But do they have a different sound signature? Why would I choose the S5.5 vs the #8?

I welcome all feedback.

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
I had S20 and now I have n.8; the latter is better in every aspect, not by a great margin but is clearly audible.
Better bass, more punchy and more defined. N.8 is faster than S20; speech and singers are easily to understand.
I don't know about S5.5. if It works in classA mode the actual competitor is N.16, that is much more costly

Reactions: Jackl3y

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Coda has been making excellent sounding, reliable amplifiers for decades. Their S series Class A amplifiers are indeed different from their AB Continuum series. The Continuum has worked very well with Magneplanars over the years. I think the bigger question is what speakers are you using currently, do you have plans to upgrade them in the future and what qualities do you value most in your SQ hierarchy. I would suggest you call Doug at Coda or one of their dealers that will have experience with the difference in the qualities of each series and be able to recommend the best match for your needs and tastes. I don't think you can go wrong buying one of their amplifiers. They make solid products within various price ranges. Good luck!

Jackl3y

Sep 9, 2022
Coda has been making excellent sounding, reliable amplifiers for decades. Their S series Class A amplifiers are indeed different from their AB Continuum series. The Continuum has worked very well with Magneplanars over the years. I think the bigger question is what speakers are you using currently, do you have plans to upgrade them in the future and what qualities do you value most in your SQ hierarchy. I would suggest you call Doug at Coda or one of their dealers that will have experience with the difference in the qualities of each series and be able to recommend the best match for your needs and tastes. I don't think you can go wrong buying one of their amplifiers. They make solid products within various price ranges. Good luck!
Currently, I have Klipsch Heresy 4’s with subs. But I’d like to have a few pairs to switch things up.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Currently, I have Klipsch Heresy 4’s with subs. But I’d like to have a few pairs to switch things up.
Jack, if high power is what you are after the Continuum series should serve you well. The Coda lower wattage Class A amplifier e.g. the 50 watt 5.5 will sound better but at the expense of higher cost and heat.

Personally, I would prefer an excellent tube amplifier on the Heresy 4s. With high 90's sensitivity why bother with a high power SS amplifier? While not inexpensive, at approximately 6k the Margules i240 integrated amplifier would be a match made in heaven for your Heresys. The i240 delivers gorgeous tone, dimensionality and plenty of power to combine drive the Heresy's well to all but ear bleeding levels. of course, if you're into electronics, rap and heavy metal more power would be advantageous. The build is also exceptional (I have been to their factory in Mexico City), and the company believe it or not is nearly 100 years old, now in the hands of fourth generation family ownership.

Jackl3y

Sep 9, 2022
Jack, if high power is what you are after the Continuum series should serve you well. The Coda lower wattage Class A amplifier e.g. the 50 watt 5.5 will sound better but at the expense of higher cost and heat.

Personally, I would prefer an excellent tube amplifier on the Heresy 4s. With high 90's sensitivity why bother with a high power SS amplifier? While not inexpensive, at approximately 6k the Margules i240 integrated amplifier would be a match made in heaven for your Heresys. The i240 delivers gorgeous tone, dimensionality and plenty of power to combine drive the Heresy's well to all but ear bleeding levels. of course, if you're into electronics, rap and heavy metal more power would be advantageous. The build is also exceptional (I have been to their factory in Mexico City), and the company believe it or not is nearly 100 years old, now in the hands of fourth generation family ownership.
Thank you, my experience with tubes hasn’t been positive and so I’ve been looking at staying there. Musically, my record collection is filled with metal, alternative, electronic, power noise, punk, reggae and dub with a touch of jazz. I figure if it can handle the craziest stuff I have then Jazz should be a breeze.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
The Coda should work wonders for you. I'm curious to know what were your problems with tubes?

Jackl3y

Sep 9, 2022
The Coda should work wonders for you. I'm curious to know what were your problems with tubes?
I had lots of issues, it had more gain than advertised which made it less than ideal with 99db sensitive speakers. It’s biased purposely to fully drive the tubes so every few months I had to replace them. There always seemed to be 1 in the new set that was noisy, so it’s like a 3 week ordeal every time.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I had lots of issues, it had more gain than advertised which made it less than ideal with 99db sensitive speakers. It’s biased purposely to fully drive the tubes so every few months I had to replace them. There always seemed to be 1 in the new set that was noisy, so it’s like a 3 week ordeal every time.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
This reminds me of the bad experience I had the first time I went skiing. I did not have the proper clothing and it was so cold I nearly got frostbite. It was ten years before I tried again with the proper gear and I have been a lifelong skier ever since. All to say, your experience is not typical of a well-designed tube amplification as evidenced by its tube eating propensity and unusual output. Good luck!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing