christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
the bandwidth is excellent 5hz -200khz*shouldn't be a disadvantage in an audio circuit.
That is good bandwidth.

To get the bass right with passive components like a transformer you need bandwidth to 2Hz. This is to prevent phase shift since passive devices will express a 6dB/octave slope when they roll off. A 6dB slope will introduce phase shift up to ten times the cutoff frequency. The ear perceives this as a lack of bass impact. That is why I stay away from SUTs; this is partially because I played bass in orchestras as well- I need to be convinced that the bass is real and has the impact it should. I've yet to hear an SUT that could pass all the detail, but OTOH I've not heard every SUT out there.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
That is good bandwidth.

To get the bass right with passive components like a transformer you need bandwidth to 2Hz. This is to prevent phase shift since passive devices will express a 6dB/octave slope when they roll off. A 6dB slope will introduce phase shift up to ten times the cutoff frequency. The ear perceives this as a lack of bass impact. That is why I stay away from SUTs; this is partially because I played bass in orchestras as well- I need to be convinced that the bass is real and has the impact it should. I've yet to hear an SUT that could pass all the detail, but OTOH I've not heard every SUT out there.
I don't think anything below 15 Hz makes sense, it just ensures that the amplifier is unnecessarily stressed. unfavorable arm and cartridge combinations can exacerbate this. In the past there were subsonic filters or IEC characteristics that knew why they were doing this.
In a Tubeamp with sut is 12db filter parallel capacitance mm input
409KH_Fig4a.jpg
nobody needs woofers that move and make no sound;)

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
I don't think anything below 15 Hz makes sense, it just ensures that the amplifier is unnecessarily stressed. unfavorable arm and cartridge combinations can exacerbate this.
The latter is true, but that's really a setup problem. In practice, the mechanical resonance of the arm defines the low frequency cutoff, not the electronics (unless its higher than the mechanical resonance.

Our stuff has bandwidth to 2 Hz including the amps and I've not run into this being a problem for either the amps or speakers in 46 years if the arm is set up right. But you can certainly hear it if the electronics cut off too high! Its very obvious if you speakers have the LF bandwidth.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The latter is true, but that's really a setup problem. In practice, the mechanical resonance of the arm defines the low frequency cutoff, not the electronics (unless its higher than the mechanical resonance.

Our stuff has bandwidth to 2 Hz including the amps and I've not run into this being a problem for either the amps or speakers in 46 years if the arm is set up right. But you can certainly hear it if the electronics cut off too high! Its very obvious if you speakers have the LF bandwidth.
The worst problem is the Miller capacitance, which adds to the input capacitance, which quickly leads to a dull sound because the bandwidth cuts off in the highs. Therefore, if possible, remove the parallel capacitance when operating with a transformer. Or a low miller effect tube ecc808 ;)

Uwiik

Mar 2, 2021
It’s a good size room. Although I don’t see a point to crank up to 120db, I imaging you need a much more powerful amp. Maybe show us your room so we can find how you can treat your room.
120 db is for when I have session with my wife or friends.

Front left to right
761DFF39-AECE-4DA7-AABB-3F58C2BD09B9.jpeg

E00D7626-6577-4973-98CF-D029239A958C.jpeg BE203051-2F64-4D78-8344-338FB1D67996.jpeg
B8C98832-099D-4820-9614-0DEF7857AE5C.jpeg A018DA30-A1A6-459D-B426-577DB70FF16C.jpeg 9B51B7EF-5660-457F-BE81-9D3FF1D59747.jpeg C7339963-D002-41BC-ABD4-941EB1E7AFFA.jpeg It’s still work in progress, nowhere near finished

Reactions: Phantom-Audio

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
You read a lot of good things about CS Port. But I talked to the guys - they didn't see any way to make the phonostage a bit louder.

Thomas Mayer should tell you what it's like.

Anyway, with Aries Cerat Talos, the amplification is very high: more than 80 db. I imagine that something like that could be very helpful in your system. Regarding the technical quality, you should read the report in the current issue of image hifi. I think Aries Cerat has set the bar very, very high.
I had a similar problem with an Ypsilon phonostage. Lovely at low levels but no dynamics. Tried various SUTs. Still no good. Moved to a Tom Evans MasterGroove Mk2 then upgraded it to the SR. Dynamics to die for and lovely too at ‘small music’.

That said, The best I encountered after extensive listening was by Vitus Audio. It just had a bit more finess than the Evans. But I stuck with the Evans and been very happy. My SR was the second he ever made after his prototype. He really pushed the boat out on it to prove a point. And he did!

Reactions: XV-1

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
120 db is for when I have session with my wife or friends.

Front left to right
View attachment 85328

View attachment 85329 View attachment 85330
View attachment 85331 View attachment 85332 View attachment 85333 View attachment 85334 It’s still work in progress, nowhere near finished
Understand you will have more work to the room. I think it’s good size so no need to tear it down. You need some acoustic treatment on the ceiling and corners. Then at 120db I don’t think your amp has enough power to drive it, IMO. Very nice system though, enjoy.

Cdupree

Jan 30, 2016
Hello, I’m new to the forum, but I’ve been following this thread carefully. You guys are a great source of information and I’m really enjoying reading your comments. I have a Viva Fono and a Thoress Audio phono enhancer. I want to try a step up transformer , so I placed an order order with Dave Slagle for a silver SUT for an XV-1t.
I gravitate towards a full “meat on the bones” presentation and was wondering about how the Audio Note (UK) phono preamps compare to some of the SOTA phono preamps mentioned in this thread. Particularly the M5-M8 ? Anybody have experience with the Audio Note phono stages?
Regards, Pat

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I can't comment on the Audio Note phono stage, but if you want meat on the bone, look at the Aesthetix Io.

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Since you are already working with Slagle on the SUT maybe demo their phono?

Reactions: anubisgrau

Cdupree

Jan 30, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions Dan31. I appreciate it. Im pretty sure I would love the sound of the Aestethix Io, but worry about tube noise with my Avantgarde Duo XD’s. I have not figured out how to have my system components show up at the bottom of my posts.
Hi Solypsa, excellent suggestion and I should follow up on that.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I have not figured out how to have my system components show up at the bottom of my post.
click on your name at the top right, then select 'signature' from the drop-down, and enter what you want to list, then hit 'save'.

you can do it, check back to one of your posts to see how it looks, then go back and edit it. might take a few tries to get it how you want it. remember to hit 'save' after you make changes.

enjoy!

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Vitus Audio make stunning phonostages Tom Evans SR is also superb. More dynamic great clarity, but without the subtlety of the Vitus.

Cdupree

Jan 30, 2016
click on your name at the top right, then select 'signature' from the drop-down, and enter what you want to list, then hit 'save'.

you can do it, check back to one of your posts to see how it looks, then go back and edit it. might take a few tries to get it how you want it. remember to hit 'save' after you make changes.

enjoy!
Thanks Mike!

Cdupree

Jan 30, 2016
Vitus Audio make stunning phonostages Tom Evans SR is also superb. More dynamic great clarity, but without the subtlety of the Vitus.
Hi Cableman, one of my friends used to have the Vitus and still regrets selling it. Great suggestion.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Does anybody know about the Astor step up (several models in the high prices category) and how does it sounds ?. I found them googling with « Analog Relax hifi » name.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
are they using Hashimoto iron?

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
They all seem to use Hashimoto. You have choice between HM3, HMX, and HM7. They say the last (and more expensive) is the best for classical music. I don’t know about « iron » Hashimoto.
The SUTs are overbuilt with teflon insulation and thick copper protection inside and very heavy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing