Cut off for music purchase-Are you an Audiophile or Musicphile?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I think so. You are gear obsessed and not music obsessed. Since you only listen to Abbey Road, send me the rest of your Beatles LPs and I will take them for a spin for you unless of course they are the Capitol versions. Abbey Road is the one album that people who don't really care about the Beatles claim they like. As good as Abbey Road is, compared to the earlier Beatles LPs, it's fluff. I own two copies of the BC-13 collection and the one Beatles LP I play the absolute least is (drum roll please) Abbey Road.

Anyone that calls Abbey Road "fluff" is either joking or has forever disqualified him/herself as a commentator to be taken seriously on this forum. Whether YOU actually think it is their best album (which is strictly a personal taste issue) or not is besides the point.

For reference, it was picked as the #2 best Beatles album by Rolling Stone readers.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/p...-beatles-albums-20110223/2-abbey-road-0019321

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Anyone that calls Abbey Road "fluff" is either joking or has forever disqualified him/herself as a commentator to be taken seriously on this forum. Whether YOU actually think it is their best album (which is strictly a personal taste issue) or not is besides the point.

For reference, it was picked as the #2 best Beatles album by Rolling Stone readers.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/p...-beatles-albums-20110223/2-abbey-road-0019321

Big deal. Again, look at the age demographics of the people who participated in the poll. Most of them probably don't even know about the early Beatles LPs and weren't even alive when the Beatles first hit the scene. Abbey Road has some really good songs on it, they just aren't my favorites and they aren't as hard rocking as some of the early Beatles LPs.

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
I have known of people in this hobby, who dote on the way the system sounds more than what the music does to them. They may have a set 30-40 discs that they repeatedly play from a collection of 300-5000 and there is no buzz from them as to what new artists or recordings they have discovered.

@ edorr - I don't think I am a music collector, as I buy the music I like and not because its difficult to acquire. Needlessly I don't go searching for the original/first pressing either as long as the other versions are enjoyable.

And then I have seen the other total obsessive way around where each and every original has been collected, catalogued and mostly played in about 15-20+ different systems at one home.

The point is some just get the buzz out of their gear and rely on others to introduce them to the music, rather than find it themselves.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Big deal. Again, look at the age demographics of the people who participated in the poll. Most of them probably don't even know about the early Beatles LPs and weren't even alive when the Beatles first hit the scene. Abbey Road has some really good songs on it, they just aren't my favorites and they aren't as hard rocking as some of the early Beatles LPs.

As 100 geezers worth their Beatles salt his favourite album and 90 will give you Sgt. Pepper, White Album or Abbey Road, with a few Revolvers thrown in for good measure :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
As 100 geezers worth their Beatles salt his favourite album and 90 will give you Sgt. Pepper, White Album or Abbey Road, with a few Revolvers thrown in for good measure :)

Huh?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have known of people in this hobby, who dote on the way the system sounds more than what the music does to them. They may have a set 30-40 discs that they repeatedly play from a collection of 300-5000 and there is no buzz from them as to what new artists or recordings they have discovered.

@ edorr - I don't think I am a music collector, as I buy the music I like and not because its difficult to acquire. Needlessly I don't go searching for the original/first pressing either as long as the other versions are enjoyable.

And then I have seen the other total obsessive way around where each and every original has been collected, catalogued and mostly played in about 15-20+ different systems at one home.

The point is some just get the buzz out of their gear and rely on others to introduce them to the music, rather than find it themselves.

May be so, but someone's relationship with his music library and listening habits says nothing about his appreciation of music.

Case in point, I have heard 80% of what Beethoven ever wrote (much of it just once), and I keep coming back to the late string quartets. In fact, mainly the adagios of the late string quartets, in fact mainly adagio Opus 131 (in addition to some other pieces like Opus 111 and 106 piano sonata, other late string quartets and 7th symphony). Does that make me less of a Beethoven lover than someone that rotates through the entire Beethoven catalogue? Do I need others to introduce me to more Beethoven? Do I listen to Beethoven late at night in deep meditative state to show of how well my gear can reproduce that string quartet? I think not.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack, that's what I think of too, in light of my music collection and LP's that have been singularly picked as I want to ensure that i get into quality and I would like to play that record again.

The fear is will the kids want to keep it? Their appreciation of music and playback quality is still at an MP3 level, though they listen to some serious gear quite often.

I just hope they get into the music.

Thanks for sharing.

Neville

Fortunately my kids are very musical. They thoroughly enjoy their music lessons and are already learning to read and write notes. This is something I always regretted. I was offered the chance and passed on it. My kids took their offer and took to their lessons like ducks to water. My eldest has begun talking about "influences". That's always a good sign. :D

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I reject that implicit premise of this thread that there is a magical proportion that defines an appropriate/acceptable range of software and hardware expenditures. As long as someone earns their money legally and takes care of their family's more important obligations (i.e. retirement and education), I could care less how someone spends their discretionary income. Likewise, I consider the terms audiophile and musicphile as pretty meaningless; to some degree, everyone is an audiophile and musicphile. Does the money I've spent on equipment enhance my enjoyment of software? -- absolutely. But I also understand why others choose to spend their money differently. More power to 'em.

Personally, I could fit in all categories. I own ~5,000 recordings. Have I listened to all of them? --yes. Indeed, I have a personal rule that I listen to each piece of music at least twice before permantly filing. If I accumulate more than 5 recordings that haven't been filed, I impose a personal moratorium on new music purchases. Do I listen to each piece of music regularly? --no. However, I've been buying records for nearly 40 years and each one means something to me. Do I occasionally seek out better pressings of my favorites?-- you betcha. Do I listen to music that does not rise to audiophile standards?--quite often. As I get older (I'd hestitate to say 'mature'), I'm finding my appetite for new music continues to grow and my musical horizons broaden. My most recent purchases: Bartok String Quartets (Valois Box Set), Mike Dillon "Band of Outsiders" (punk-jazz), Maria Bethenia "Rosa Dos Ventos...", Mel Powell "Septet" (Vanguard mono 10"). There just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to listen...

Great post.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
The cost of my audio system is somewhere between 7 - 10 times more than what I have spent on music albums. But that doesn't mean I like sound more than music. What it means is I want both:) I try to find reviews and listen to samples before purchasing music. And I spend a lot of time listening to the albums that give me the most pleasure.

Suteetat

Sep 3, 2013
Bangkok
I reject that implicit premise of this thread that there is a magical proportion that defines an appropriate/acceptable range of software and hardware expenditures. As long as someone earns their money legally and takes care of their family's more important obligations (i.e. retirement and education), I could care less how someone spends their discretionary income. Likewise, I consider the terms audiophile and musicphile as pretty meaningless; to some degree, everyone is an audiophile and musicphile. Does the money I've spent on equipment enhance my enjoyment of software? -- absolutely. But I also understand why others choose to spend their money differently. More power to 'em.

Could not say it better. Locally, some audio forums made a big fuzz about music lover should only listen to vintage gear and only audiophiles buy new stuff.
What a load of .....

In the past, my music collection far exceed my equipments as it was a lot easier to shelf out $10-15 here and there rather than hundreds or thousands of dollars in one go. Nowaday, I don't buy nearly as many CDs or LPs as I used to just because I have plenty of listen to at home but still keep my ears out for new recordings, artists and occasional gems and now it is a bit easier to spend thousands of dollars in one go so perhaps the last few years hardware value finally caught up with softwares that I have been accumulating in the last 30 years or so. However, my listening habit has not changed, from day one, I still am interested in music and various interpretation of the pieces just as much as the sound quality itself. I supposed, since I buy mostly classical music, I don't automatically go for audiophile oriented label but go mainly for the artists first, may be I am a bit more musicphile than audiophile at heart but with enough budget to be in audiophile camp as well :)

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
My gear will come and go. I intend to pass my music collection on to the next generation. I guess that says it all.

Hi Dad!:cool:

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012

Personally, I could fit in all categories. I own ~5,000 recordings. Have I listened to all of them? --yes. Indeed, I have a personal rule that I listen to each piece of music at least twice before permanently filing. If I accumulate more than 5 recordings that haven't been filed, I impose a personal moratorium on new music purchases. Do I listen to each piece of music regularly? --no. However, I've been buying records for nearly 40 years and each one means something to me. Do I occasionally seek out better pressings of my favorites?-- you betcha. Do I listen to music that does not rise to audiophile standards?--quite often. As I get older (I'd hestitate to say 'mature'), I'm finding my appetite for new music continues to grow and my musical horizons broaden. My most recent purchases: Bartok String Quartets (Valois Box Set), Mike Dillon "Band of Outsiders" (punk-jazz), Maria Bethenia "Rosa Dos Ventos...", Mel Powell "Septet" (Vanguard mono 10"). There just doesn't seem to be enough time in the day to listen...

I share your appetite for new music, I'm just a little more focused on Jazz and enjoy my subscription to Jazziz and Fred Kaplan's blog.

I always appreciate your recommendations.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Heck I thought this was all about fun and the many roads that get you there. I suspect, not just in my case, the distinction and labels are not only artificial and meaningless but also reflect an apriori view of the world based on false dualisms :fancy system/ no musical appreciation OR brilliant music collection/lousy equipment , the inference in both cases being the poor sod doesn't know better. I am sure there are many who legitimately belong in either category. I just don't think you are going to find them on WBF.
I meant to be provocative.
Best
Pradeep

And what's wrong with those choices, I'm over 60 and enjoyed the Beatles along with Bluegrass music. what a mix. :D

There are those that love their equipment and there are those that enjoy the music..

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
And what's wrong with those choices, I'm over 60 and enjoyed the Beatles along with Bluegrass music. what a mix. :D

There are those that love their equipment and there are those that enjoy the music..

Nothing. I would vote along the same lines. Just rebutting mep's contention that the early Beatles albums are their career highlights and preference of true Beatles lovers.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Nothing. I would vote along the same lines. Just rebutting mep's contention that the early Beatles albums are their career highlights and preference of true Beatles lovers.
Wow! I missed mep's post or I would have commented. Now at 61 years of age this is the first time I've heard someone opine that their favorite Beatles is early Beatles; "Rubber Soul" is the earliest album I've ever heard proposed as a favorite.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Wow! I missed mep's post or I would have commented. Now at 61 years of age this is the first time I've heard someone opine that their favorite Beatles is early Beatles; "Rubber Soul" is the earliest album I've ever heard proposed as a favorite.

My point exactly. And I am 50.

mep

Apr 20, 2010

What I really said is that Abbey Road is my least favorite Beatles LP. I do love the early albums all the way back to the beginning.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
What I really said is that Abbey Road is my least favorite Beatles LP. I do love the early albums all the way back to the beginning.

Not just as an expression of your personal preference though, but as a manifestation of you operating at a higher level of understanding of the musical merits of the Beatles' catalogue :). Let me quote your original statement "Abbey Road is the one album that people who don't really care about the Beatles claim they like. As good as Abbey Road is, compared to the earlier Beatles LPs, it's fluff."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing