Cut off for music purchase-Are you an Audiophile or Musicphile?

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
PS Any relation to the famous Dimple ?

Unfortunately not, otherwise I would have been featuring in Bollywood - running around trees chasing a damsel, with a song in tow.

For others- Dimple Kapadia was a famous and beautiful Indian actress from yesteryear, with whom the only commonality I share is my last name.

Based now in Sydney, Oz - I think about Miranda Kerr, Nicole Kidman and Elle 'the body' McPherson. Then I look at myself in the mirror shake my head, and just go and spend my money on hifi!

Best,

Neville

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
I think about Miranda Kerr, Nicole Kidman and Elle 'the body' McPherson. Then I look at myself in the mirror shake my head, and just go and spend my money on hifi!

Best,

Neville

Do you think there is a link, between an ageing/declining or extinct libido and being an audiophile ?
Cheers
Pradeep

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I think about Miranda Kerr, Nicole Kidman and Elle 'the body' McPherson. Then I look at myself in the mirror shake my head, and just go and spend my money on hifi!

Best,

Neville

Do you think there is a link, between an ageing/declining or extinct libido and being an audiophile ?
Cheers
Pradeep

Freud called it "sublimation".

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The two people I know with the deepest knowledge of the recorded history of music are neither audiophiles, nor musicians, and their collections are probably small compared to those of the most prolific collectors on this forum. But I've heard several those collectores admit to having recordings for years that they'd never listened to. That's collecting. Musicology is about knowledge. Knowledge is about appreciation. You could have a deep understanding of the roots and branches and cultural influence and implications of a single genre and be a "musicphile." You could own 20,000 recordings and a six figure playback system and not be one. I know I'm a musician and a great lover of music, but I feel like I know nothing in the face of these guys. And I don't think that would change if I could go out and buy 10,000 more recordings tomorrow.

MHO. YMMV.

Tim

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The two people I know with the deepest knowledge of the recorded history of music are neither audiophiles, nor musicians, and their collections are probably small compared to those of the most prolific collectors on this forum. But I've heard several those collectores admit to having recordings for years that they'd never listened to. That's collecting. Musicology is about knowledge. Knowledge is about appreciation. You could have a deep understanding of the roots and branches and cultural influence and implications of a single genre and be a "musicphile." You could own 20,000 recordings and a six figure playback system and not be one. I know I'm a musician and a great lover of music, but I feel like I know nothing in the face of these guys. And I don't think that would change if I could go out and buy 10,000 more recordings tomorrow.

MHO. YMMV.

Tim

As I once told Andre, "We can't all be music geeks". I treasure my full geek friends. I have classical, classic rock, Jazz, Pop, Dance, R&B, New Wave geek buddies. I'm a geek in terms of a couple of these but certainly not all. Not by a long shot either. Asking for recommendations over some cold ones is much more fun than googling.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing