Cybershaft new top model 10M clocks : UPOCXO-OP20A/OP21A

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Please read #168 and #179 on :
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...hootout-op20-vs-op17.26610/page-9#post-621539

BTW at the end of the session we tried some tweaks on the OP21A and its performance improved further!
Those are Stillpoints Ultra5 footers underneath the OP21A.
View attachment 60623

I can't imagine how good it will further become if we give it better fuses & powercords!

IMHO other than the CH Precision T1, OP21A is the best audiophile 10M clock in the current market.

I have my clocks over the years up on UltraSS plus Ultra Bases with great results. Powercords definitely are a plus as well....go for it!

The T1 is a great clock, have heard it work its magic on 2 occasions; with respect, the phase noise specs on the performance of the OP20A and further the OP21A at 1, 10 and 100 plus the other specs are quite a bit better than the T1. Check it out...the OP21A is also about $6800 USD
versus $24K+ (if the source I read is accurate) so plenty of bang for the buck with Cybershaft. Still, if I had a CH stack, would definitely want
to explore their T1 in more depth!

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
LPS for Cybershaft OCXO OP20A.

Three days ago my new L044 16V Auralic Widder Linear Power Supply for the Cybershaft 20A clock arrived.

It has an internal EMV filter, a capsuled transformer, expensive Wima MKP10 foil capacitors and high quality Rubycon and Elma electrolytic capacitors with high total capacity in a solid aluminium cabinet with a nice voltage display.

The internal potentiometer allows adjustment to 14 Volt, the exact voltage recommended by Mr.Kenji Hasegawa. The DC connector is also according to his recommendation.

Total costs: 300 Euro plus customs.

IMG_3189.JPG IMG_3192.JPG IMG_3193.JPG

For the first step, the LPS together with the dedicated pure silver power cable and the pure silver DC cable was burned in over night, loaded by a 18 Ohm resistor.

After disconnecting the clock from power, even if only for a short time, its my impression that the unit needs at least one hour to regain its performance.
This means, a back and forth comparison with external vs internal power supply is useless.

So, before connecting and switching the clock to the external power supply, I concentrated on a few Qobuz streams via the Esoteric N03T plus K01XS.

Then, after switching to the external LPS and waiting more than one hour, I started with Liro Rantalas first track from the album My finnish calendar.
The tones from the left piano hand had more authority, the right hand was easier to follow but the higher notes were harsh and edgy, and that caused a stop for this morning.

Repeating later with Liro Rantalas August title, the lower piano notes seemed to keep on swinging longer and the higher notes had more colour , the melody was more fluid, because each piano string was vibrating longer and cleaner for better interaction with the next key.

Next Jennifer Warnes, her new Album Another Time Another Place, track Why worry.
Before the song starts, a few very quiet tones, sounding like a ringing phone from the left side, appeared now more obvious and stable than before.
When Jennifer started singing, her voice appeared with more immediacy and sounded clearer and finer modulated.
All different instruments seemed to produce alltogether a more airy sound, while also each instrument kept his own focus.
And the voice from the background singer was more easily to separate and to distinguish from Jennifers voice.

The same happened with Anna Ternheim singing in her Album All the way to Rio.
Now her voice was clearer, more focused, with the background instruments sounding more spherical in a wider room.

In Ben Harpers song Two hands of a prayer, from the album Burn to shine, his voice was more charming with better modulated details. Again all the different instruments were easier to pick out and then to follow. The bass drum had more impact and tone.

But the great advantage of the LPS for me was not the higher resolution, was not the higher transparency, it was the more harmonic and less edgy musical flow that gives an authentic and spectacular show.

How great is the benefit?
The change of the digital clock cable and the power chord in combination with my earlier Cybershaft OP14 was important and the prerequisite for the big advantag the 10Mhz masterclock offered to the Esoteric D02X I had in use. Also the mechanical antivibrant isolation of the clock improved a lot without changing the character of the clock.

Then the new Cybershaft OP20A was a total different thing, offering much more details and information to the cerebral cortex of the listeners brain.
But only now in the combination with the external linear power supply the new clock can reach the deeply satisfying impact leading directly to the listeners limbic system.
No doubt, the external LPS from Cybershaft will be a great success after release and a must for all OP20A/21A users.

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
LPS for Cybershaft OCXO OP20A.

Three days ago my new L044 16V Auralic Widder Linear Power Supply for the Cybershaft 20A clock arrived.

It has an internal EMV filter, a capsuled transformer, expensive Wima MKP10 foil capacitors and high quality Rubycon and Elma electrolytic capacitors with high total capacity in a solid aluminium cabinet with a nice voltage display.

The internal potentiometer allows adjustment to 14 Volt, the exact voltage recommended by Mr.Kenji Hasegawa. The DC connector is also according to his recommendation.

Total costs: 300 Euro plus customs.

View attachment 60769 View attachment 60770 View attachment 60771

For the first step, the LPS together with the dedicated pure silver power cable and the pure silver DC cable was burned in over night, loaded by a 18 Ohm resistor.

After disconnecting the clock from power, even if only for a short time, its my impression that the unit needs at least one hour to regain its performance.
This means, a back and forth comparison with external vs internal power supply is useless.

So, before connecting and switching the clock to the external power supply, I concentrated on a few Qobuz streams via the Esoteric N03T plus K01XS.

Then, after switching to the external LPS and waiting more than one hour, I started with Liro Rantalas first track from the album My finnish calendar.
The tones from the left piano hand had more authority, the right hand was easier to follow but the higher notes were harsh and edgy, and that caused a stop for this morning.

Repeating later with Liro Rantalas August title, the lower piano notes seemed to keep on swinging longer and the higher notes had more colour , the melody was more fluid, because each piano string was vibrating longer and cleaner for better interaction with the next key.

Next Jennifer Warnes, her new Album Another Time Another Place, track Why worry.
Before the song starts, a few very quiet tones, sounding like a ringing phone from the left side, appeared now more obvious and stable than before.
When Jennifer started singing, her voice appeared with more immediacy and sounded clearer and finer modulated.
All different instruments seemed to produce alltogether a more airy sound, while also each instrument kept his own focus.
And the voice from the background singer was more easily to separate and to distinguish from Jennifers voice.

The same happened with Anna Ternheim singing in her Album All the way to Rio.
Now her voice was clearer, more focused, with the background instruments sounding more spherical in a wider room.

In Ben Harpers song Two hands of a prayer, from the album Burn to shine, his voice was more charming with better modulated details. Again all the different instruments were easier to pick out and then to follow. The bass drum had more impact and tone.

But the great advantage of the LPS for me was not the higher resolution, was not the higher transparency, it was the more harmonic and less edgy musical flow that gives an authentic and spectacular show.

How great is the benefit?
The change of the digital clock cable and the power chord in combination with my earlier Cybershaft OP14 was important and the prerequisite for the big advantag the 10Mhz masterclock offered to the Esoteric D02X I had in use. Also the mechanical antivibrant isolation of the clock improved a lot without changing the character of the clock.

Then the new Cybershaft OP20A was a total different thing, offering much more details and information to the cerebral cortex of the listeners brain.
But only now in the combination with the external linear power supply the new clock can reach the deeply satisfying impact leading directly to the listeners limbic system.
No doubt, the external LPS from Cybershaft will be a great success after release and a must for all OP20A/21A users.
Thanks DiaZ!

This is the first report on using the external dc powersupply on a Cybershaft OP20A/21A.
Very promising!
And not expensive at all!

Reactions: diaZ

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello All,
Cybershaft's external LPS for their OP20A/OP21A clocks are available for sale this month!

http://www.cybershaft.jp/a-products/LTP01.html

ltp-f03 640.jpg
ltp-r01 1200.jpg
lt power01.jpg

It's not expensive too.
The msrp is ¥38,500 (Japanese vat included).
I think most of the 20A/21A owners will buy it.
:D

Reactions: diaZ and conrans

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Early feedback on the quality uplift from an owner in Asia has been exceptional...and you are right,
for a high quality LRPSU and one that uses 102ssc, this is a bargain.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
My friend TLi has just got the new Cybershaft external LPS for his OP21A 10M clock.

Waiting for his full review after the burn-in but the initial impression is very promising!
;)

IMG-20200214-WA0026~2.jpg

Reactions: JimmyS and shapo

TLi

May 27, 2016
The external power supply from Cybershaft arrived last Friday, spent most of listening sessions during weekend using digital source.

The bar is raised again with this power supply. The sound is clearly smoother. Background is darker and quieter. There is more a sense of warmth in the music. It really works. Digital sound becomes very analog. I am very pleased with it. The clock stabilized on Sunday, the focus and details are also improved. I can only identify plus and no minus with the addition. The difference is not huge but clearly audible. It is less than 10% of the price for the main clock and the improvement is certainly more than 10%.

Cybershaft prepared a short guide for user to compare the effect with and without external power supply. There is a switch at the back of OP21A to select between internal and external power supply. If both supplies are plugin and powered up, one can switch between the two with ease and the disruption of power is only a fraction of a second.

Hasegawa san wrote:

"Once the power is turned off, it will take time for the characteristics to start from zero again. However, if the power supply is turned off for a short time, the performance of the OCXO will recover in a short time. Here is an important explanation. Measurements have shown that if the energization of the OCXO is stopped for about one minute or less, it will recover in only about 30 minutes before the characteristic returns to the state where it had been energized until then. Therefore, please understand that if the power supply is stopped for a moment or within one minute in the above steps 3. the characteristics that have been continued will be restored in about 30 minutes after energization."

I relayed my listening impression to Hasegawa san. He was very pleased and relieved. He said future top model Cybershaft clocks will probably come with separate power supply for best result. His products will keep improving.

Reactions: CKKeung

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Thank you...looking forward to reading more as you do your listening test; I've not had the ability to get a newer OP21A (or OP20A) with
the separate supply. I am imagining that the results will be very impressive!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Congratulations!

Reactions: rau

crion

Oct 29, 2014
Hi, ext-clock newbie here, Currently I have an uptone ethergen on order and Not any other wordclock inputs currently.

Can the wordclock input of uptone Ethergen affect my simple Meridian 210 streamer to such a degree that a new world opens? Or does one need a DCS streamer with wordclock input to make things happen?

Curious.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Hello...I have no direct/personal experience with the EtherREGEN however others do,....hoping someone will answerbyour question

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Hi, ext-clock newbie here, Currently I have an uptone ethergen on order and Not any other wordclock inputs currently.

Can the wordclock input of uptone Ethergen affect my simple Meridian 210 streamer to such a degree that a new world opens? Or does one need a DCS streamer with wordclock input to make things happen?

Curious.
I’m curious as well. Should begin to gauge this soon. Kenji started a build of my OP21A-D and external power supply a week ago. I have both the dCS Vivaldi Clock and EtherREGEN. Will be able to find out just what difference the new clock makes, if any, for the dCS and then EtherREGEN. However, I’m awaiting a pair of new Sigma v2 level clock cables from Shunyata, so I’ll likely be using a couple Blue Jeans Belkin 1694A’s prior to the new ones arriving.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Just got back into town and had a surprise waiting , hope to hook up later

Attachments

• AB165614-942A-4D5E-8149-5355E1B794B4.jpeg
    AB165614-942A-4D5E-8149-5355E1B794B4.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 30

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Kenji delivers...just like clockwork (sorry for the “pun”ishment). Enjoy!

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Sorry to hear about you’re predicament. At least you can power the Cybershaft and allow it to get stable in the interim. I believe, once the new cable is in hand, power off the Esoteric (I’m assuming this has the clock input), then make your cable connection, and finally power up the Esoteric. That is at least after making any necessary config changes in the Esoteric (which may also force a power off / on). Just guessing here. I know that each clock enabled device requires a resetting of some sort, followed by by power cycling.

I’m into day 3 of playing. What’s most obvious, beyond the absolute focus and separation of voices and instruments, is the absence of “cotton” surrounding things. If, for example, a singer is miked in an open space, which is still enclosed, you’ll sense that — with natural room reverb. Quite different from a recording studio booth, which removes such natural ambiance. And this aspect of getting the timing right is quite evident with any percussive sounds, from drums, cymbals and the rest of the kit to solo piano, etc. Almost forgot this applies to acoustic guitar (see Richard Thompson in particular).

Separation of soloists, even the tight team of brothers Everly, is all the more obvious. I’m certain you’ll pick up your own cues. It’s all just far more natural and most clearly experienced in live well recorded jazz.

Last edited:

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
waiting for a 50 Ohm Habst cable I ordered , thought I had something to use till then but only found a couple 75 Ohm cables .

If you look at page 6 of the manual you see that using your available cable represents a mismatch. And he doesn’t cover your precise situation. Best to email Kenji at cybershaft777@yahoo.co.jp and let him know what you have: 75 ohm cable and 50 ohm input and ask what settings will still allow for burn-in, or if there’s any harm in any other approach to burn in. It maybe unwise to simply make no connections from the clock at all.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
If you look at page 6 of the manual you see that using your available cable represents a mismatch. And he doesn’t cover your precise situation. Best to email Kenji at cybershaft777@yahoo.co.jp and let him know what you have: 75 ohm cable and 50 ohm input and ask what settings will still allow for burn-in, or if there’s any harm in any other approach to burn in. It maybe unwise to simply make no connections from the clock at all.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin

Reply from Kenji

When the OP21A output is 50 ohm and the Esoteric clock impedance is 50 ohm, there is no problem even if you use a 75 ohm cable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing