Daniel Hertz M7 speakers -- my new favorites

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
I recently sold my Graham Audio LS5/5s with the intention of replacing them with speakers that scale larger for my large listening area, and are more dynamic and immediate-sounding, hopeful not to sacrifice the beautiful coherence and tone of the Grahams.

I was fortunate to be able to audition two new sets of speakers in my home: $19k PS Audio FR20 (no-strings home demo from the company) and $30k Daniel Hertz M7 (no strings home demo from local dealer). Two very different designs: FR20 with planar magnetic tweeter and mid + 2 8" woofers (with passive radiators), M7 with compression horn tweeter and 12" woofer (ported). Both speakers were major upgrades in terms of dynamics and scale, at least partly due to their significantly larger cabinets than the LS5/5s (130lbs each for both new speakers vs 70lbs for LS5/5s).

I ended up purchasing the M7s for several reasons, including the aesthetic fit with my room, but primarily because they are so dynamic/immediate sounding and present with much more realistic instrumental and atmospheric texture. The M7 bass is full/rich/realistic/deep while the FR20 bass was deep but somewhat unrealistically tight/precise and controlled (in direct comparison). I noticed this particularly with voice and strings, where the M7 communicates more of the rougher texture of the bow and the strings than any other speaker I've had in my home. It doesn't hurt that the Hertz speakers (made in Italy) seem of higher-quality construction and fit/finish than the FR20s (made in China), although both are suitably premium for their price tags.

The differences between the speakers' designs in efficiency (M7 100w/db and 8ohm, FR20 87w/db and 4ohm), horn vs planar tweeter, 12" paper vs 2 x 8" carbon fiber seem to really matter for the sound, much to nobody's suprise, I would imagine. Pretty cool to be able to compare them back to back and discover my preferences!

Since the Daniel Hertz brand is not particularly well-known in US and I had never seen a write-up of these speakers (despite them being a rather old design), but they are clearly at the premium level of quality common to speakers on these forums, I figured it was worth spreading the good word about them.

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
I recently sold my Graham Audio LS5/5s with the intention of replacing them with speakers that scale larger for my large listening area, and are more dynamic and immediate-sounding, hopeful not to sacrifice the beautiful coherence and tone of the Grahams.

I was fortunate to be able to audition two new sets of speakers in my home: $19k PS Audio FR20 (no-strings home demo from the company) and $30k Daniel Hertz M7 (no strings home demo from local dealer). Two very different designs: FR20 with planar magnetic tweeter and mid + 2 8" woofers (with passive radiators), M7 with compression horn tweeter and 12" woofer (ported). Both speakers were major upgrades in terms of dynamics and scale, at least partly due to their significantly larger cabinets than the LS5/5s (130lbs each for both new speakers vs 70lbs for LS5/5s).

I ended up purchasing the M7s for several reasons, including the aesthetic fit with my room, but primarily because they are so dynamic/immediate sounding and present with much more realistic instrumental and atmospheric texture. The M7 bass is full/rich/realistic/deep while the FR20 bass was deep but somewhat unrealistically tight/precise and controlled (in direct comparison). I noticed this particularly with voice and strings, where the M7 communicates more of the rougher texture of the bow and the strings than any other speaker I've had in my home. It doesn't hurt that the Hertz speakers (made in Italy) seem of higher-quality construction and fit/finish than the FR20s (made in China), although both are suitably premium for their price tags.

The differences between the speakers' designs in efficiency (M7 100w/db and 8ohm, FR20 87w/db and 4ohm), horn vs planar tweeter, 12" paper vs 2 x 8" carbon fiber seem to really matter for the sound, much to nobody's suprise, I would imagine. Pretty cool to be able to compare them back to back and discover my preferences!

Since the Daniel Hertz brand is not particularly well-known in US and I had never seen a write-up of these speakers (despite them being a rather old design), but they are clearly at the premium level of quality common to speakers on these forums, I figured it was worth spreading the good word about them.
Congrats on your new speakers! Are you located in the US? I think there is only ONE dealer in the entire country, up in Washington State I think.... Hard to audition these M series. How is their imaging, and soundstage height when you listen standing up? Thanks!

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
The dealer is located in Santa Rosa, CA. Soundstage is exceptional, excellent even standing and immersive anywhere in the room. Imaging is realistic. Live music is just spine tingling.

Reactions: AudioLibertarian

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Hi Redwoodaudio,

Congratulations to your new speakers. Really happy for you. It sounds amazing. I’ve heard the DH M-1 at several times in Stockholm, with very good experience. Great sound!

Any chance to see some pictures of your audioroom / music area?

All the best

/ Jk

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
Hi Redwoodaudio,

Congratulations to your new speakers. Really happy for you. It sounds amazing. I’ve heard the DH M-1 at several times in Stockholm, with very good experience. Great sound!

Any chance to see some pictures of your audioroom / music area?

All the best

/ Jk

Attachments

• 54A9CABB-A8E9-431D-B52A-28775E7B0829.jpeg
    54A9CABB-A8E9-431D-B52A-28775E7B0829.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
Reactions: Johan K

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
Have you listened to the their DHertz's bigger models in the M range at the dealer by any chance? Or, the dealer just carries smaller models? Thanks.
Dealer has M1s, which are $150k and sound extraordinary, and two smaller standmounts, one with horn tweeter and one with ribbon tweeter. Smaller one with horn, the Maxx, sounded VERY good too. Didn’t hear the ribbon one…

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
Dealer has M1s, which are $150k and sound extraordinary, and two smaller standmounts, one with horn tweeter and one with ribbon tweeter. Smaller one with horn, the Maxx, sounded VERY good too. Didn’t hear the ribbon one…
Just curious, prior to buying the M 7, if you had listened to the Graham VOTU model, as these have bigger and more "direct" type of sound? Also these are used in Covent Garden Royal Opera House as "live" speakers, requiring them handling huge dynamic swings & peaks, similar to what Daniel Hertz design is claiming. Thanks!

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021

Interesting why Daniel Hertz, owned by Mark Levinson who is extremely well connected in the US, is poorly represented in the US ?

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
Just curious, prior to buying the M 7, if you had listened to the Graham VOTU model, as these have bigger and more "direct" type of sound? Also these are used in Covent Garden Royal Opera House as "live" speakers, requiring them handling huge dynamic swings & peaks, similar to what Daniel Hertz design is claiming. Thanks!
I had not auditioned the VOTU. I don't think I've ever heard of a pair being used in the USA. With my LS5/5s, I had to purchase them without an audition based on the location of the dealership and the general demand for them, and I would not have been willing to do that again with another expensive speaker. I also have no idea how expensive the VOTUs are... I would love to hear an impression of someone who has heard them, though.

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
Interesting why Daniel Hertz, owned by Mark Levinson who is extremely well connected in the US, is poorly represented in the US ?
I did not ask this question directly from the local dealer who now carries the line, but no explanation was offered either... It is an interesting one.

AudioLibertarian

Dec 25, 2017
NEW YORK CITY
The M series speakers when premiered at the US audio shows received shall we say very "mixed" reactions from the both audiophile press and show visitors. About 11 years ago. Also, while Cello electronics are still highly valued and sought after, the Cello speakers were just eh, ok, to be VERY generous, IMHO, of course, as I ve heard almost all of Cello speakers line up . The M series of course use totally different design, but price of the range has gone up dramatically. Also, these used to be assembled at famous Petroff piano factory in Prague, Czech, but now assembled in Italy in unnamed location, if that matters. The competition in that price range of 30 to 150 grand speakers is, as we know, rather brutal in US market, so I guess many established dealers have their brands to push, and new dealers are very few these days. The dealer in CA is a new retailer that has taken the line, so I wish him success with the brand! I will surely consider the M7 for myself at some point.

Last edited:

Redwoodaudio

Aug 25, 2021
The M series speakers when premiered at the US audio shows received shall we say very "mixed" reactions from the both audiophile press and show visitors. About 11 years ago. Also, while Cello electronics are still highly valued and sought after, the Cello speakers were just eh, ok, to be VERY generous, IMHO, of course, as I ve heard almost all of Cello speakers line up . The M series of course use totally different design, but price of the range has gone up dramatically. Also, these used to be assembled at famous Petroff piano factory in Prague, Czech, but now assembled in Italy in unnamed location, if that matters. The competition in that price range of 30 to 150 grand speakers is, as we know, rather brutal in US market, so I guess many established dealers have their brands to push, and new dealers are very few these days. The dealer in CA is a new retailer that has taken the line, so I wish him success with the brand! I will surely consider the M7 myself at some point.
To my ear, the Hertz dac/integrated amp are not at the same level as the speakers. I auditioned the Maria with the M7s in my home and was not impressed, relative to my Absolare. Since Levinson insists that they be used together as a 'system' with his bare wire speaker cables, this may account for underwhelming reception in some situations. Of course, he'll sell you the speakers alone if you insist. The M7s in my home continue to blow me away!

Reactions: AudioLibertarian

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Redwood. I heard the Daniel M1 bi-amplified with DH amplifiers at the dealers probably five years ago. I can still remember the unconstrained dynamics and amazing tone they portrayed. Truly a SOA contender, especially if lack of compression is your cup of tea, which very few if any pretenders to the throne are able to pull off. I should also note I heard zero of what some refer to as horn coloration.

Mark Levinson is a controversial figure but one must credit him with being a musician and a man who knows and loves music! Starting back with the LNP-1 preamplifier and ML series amplifiers until today remains a passionate and true audio innovator. Absolare makes stunning electronics and I imagine make a superb combination.

I hope you enjoy your speakers for many years to come!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing