darTZeel NHB-108 Model 2 - The Best Stereo Amplifier In The World Just Got Way Better!

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I see, thanks. I turn the volume down when switching sides on records, and that’s where it happened: walking across room and touching the unit. Normally, I just turn the volume dial, which I think is not connected to the chassis; but this time I touched the faceplate.
Damage? I suppose you would know it if there is damage. Although I did read that ESD damage can manifest over time; but this seems to apply to integrated circuits only (i.e., not the amplifier circuitry itself).

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I see, thanks. I turn the volume down when switching sides on records, and that’s where it happened: walking across room and touching the unit. Normally, I just turn the volume dial, which I think is not connected to the chassis; but this time I touched the faceplate.
Damage? I suppose you would know it if there is damage. Although I did read that ESD damage can manifest over time; but this seems to apply to integrated circuits only (i.e., not the amplifier circuitry itself).
when i have visitors they often ask me why i always touch the something wood before i touch the preamp and then i explain. it's now an auto reflex i always do.

i know when electronic techs work on gear they many times have some sort of harness to avoid static charges. they can't predict how a static charge might corrupt their work. so it's good to have some sort of process you do every time to avoid it. once learned it can keep you away from problems.

maybe some gear have protection circuits to reduce these events, but then maybe those things also have a sonic penalty.

• Love
Reactions: Johan K

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I’ll get into this habit (touching wood) as well, or just use the remote more often. Normally I’m barefoot, and I think this helps avoid ESD.

What about damage? Does the component fail outright if there is damage, or are there cases where perhaps distortion is higher from ESD damage, but it’s still working?
Based on limited research, it seems like ESD affects integrated circuits, not individual components as much. For an IC, it can reduce its lifespan, so it may not fail right away; but then it eventually fails. I didn’t read of any cases where the sound quality is degraded, but the component still works. Thoughts?

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
when i have visitors they often ask me why i always touch the something wood before i touch the preamp and then i explain. it's now an auto reflex i always do.

i know when electronic techs work on gear they many times have some sort of harness to avoid static charges. they can't predict how a static charge might corrupt their work. so it's good to have some sort of process you do every time to avoid it. once learned it can keep you away from problems.

maybe some gear have protection circuits to reduce these events, but then maybe those things also have a sonic penalty.
Hey Mike,

This was a nice surprice to read, as I’ve done the same as long as I can remember… I always touch my rack metal bolt-nut before I touch anything in my system… Cool!! Many people has asked me about this too… and it has become a thing to me after I worked at the Ericsson cellphone company a long time ago, and the importance of, and carefulness of electric static blow-outs / discharge.

Never had any problems with static blow outs so far ;)!

/ Jk

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I’ll get into this habit (touching wood) as well, or just use the remote more often. Normally I’m barefoot, and I think this helps avoid ESD.

What about damage? Does the component fail outright if there is damage, or are there cases where perhaps distortion is higher from ESD damage, but it’s still working?
Based on limited research, it seems like ESD affects integrated circuits, not individual components as much. For an IC, it can reduce its lifespan, so it may not fail right away; but then it eventually fails. I didn’t read of any cases where the sound quality is degraded, but the component still works. Thoughts?
as far as damage, many years ago i do recall a static charge through the signal path, actually exploded an early version ceramic mid range driver on my Kharma Exquisite 1D speakers. this was now 22 years ago. never had apparent damage since then but it always messes with my head and i do go look and check.....so a moment to be avoided.

my much loved Tenor OTL 75 watt amps had no transformer, which made them sound heavenly, but might have allowed a more pure static charge to get through.

a static charge is a high voltage event and to be avoided if possible.

Reactions: Johan K

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Right… another thing to worry about!

But it does look like the component fails or it does not fail — there is no interim where it ‘works but not as well’… correct?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

But it does look like the component fails or it does not fail — there is no interim where it ‘works but not as well’… correct?
i am already out of my depth on this subject; only relating my experiences. i'll leave it to others with actual tech chops to answer that.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden

Anyone that works with integrated circuits knows the importance of secured ESD. That is why everyone working with or close to electronic components need to wear ESD slippers and ESD secured wrist wire, connected to a discharge unit while working.

When I was working at Ericsson, they actually had safety personal, checking everyone had the slippers and wrist wire on before enter the facility and work stations.

On the way out the same safety personal was more into checking everyone, so no one had slipped a phone in, in the inner pocket… haha..

ESD can really nuke integrated circuits and discrete components if the bad luck strikes…So always touch your rack or bench before your hifi gear, and you be off fine.

/ Jk

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Spoke to DarTZeel. There is no danger of damage. It’s best to avoid ESD of course, but if it happens, even through the speakers, nothing to worry about. A channel may stop functioning, but a power cycle of the pre-amp will bring it back.
This assumes that all connections are secure and that the AC cord is properly grounded. I am not sure if the position of the internal ground jumpers make a difference. Mine are set to “Connected”, but they can be set to “Not Connected”, which may be an issue with ESD. It’s worth checking and asking your dealer.

32 years in this hobby and not one person ever told me about ESD. Of course, I was aware of it with exposed ICs or PCBs; but I had always assumed a component in an enclosed case was safe. Not so!

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing