David Karmeli's Natural Sound in Utah

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What's this big platter turntable? How does it sound vs the AS-2000 and will it be released to the market (as a cheaper/more expensive/same price alternative to the AS-2000)?
You've got a sharp eye, marmota! (I did not see that myself in the photo.)

Is it the American Sound AS-3000 Super Table?

Reactions: ddk and marmota

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Peter wrote:

"...and a one-of-a-kind prototype turntable of extremely high mass. Note the huge platter relative to the LP. It has an air bearing and thread drive."

Reactions: marmota and ddk

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
From what I can tell, David has an insatiable appetite for gaining knowledge in his hobby. Helping others and learning and doing specific one off projects he told me is a kind of obsession. He cannot seem to shake it.

There are two turntables in that small room that I had never seen before. The one that is being discussed now as I understand it is something he found in Japan and had shipped over. The other one is an iteration or a copy or a version of the original American Sound turntable.

Tim and I listened to this turntable briefly on a rare pair of RCA speakers. Just like everything else I’ve heard in those two rooms, this turntable and those speakers comprised a natural sounding system. I don’t know what day his plans are for this specific turntable, but I suspect he is learning about proportions, dimensions, and there effects on the sound of the turntable.

What he learns is likely informing him on his next turntable project, the early schematics of which I was lucky to see during my first visit to Utah. Having heard he is a S 2000 now multiple times in different settings and different systems, I have every confidence that he will find ways to create even higher levels of performance. I am astonished that the notion is even a possibility.

This thread now has the attention of Ron’s hyperbole police.

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
From what I can tell, David has an insatiable appetite for gaining knowledge in his hobby. Helping others and learning and doing specific one off projects he told me is a kind of obsession. He cannot seem to shake it.

There are two turntables in that small room that I had never seen before. The one that is being discussed now as I understand it is something he found in Japan and had shipped over. The other one is an iteration or a copy or a version of the original American Sound turntable.

Tim and I listened to this turntable briefly on a rare pair of RCA speakers. Just like everything else I’ve heard in those two rooms, this turntable and those speakers comprised a natural sounding system. I don’t know what day his plans are for this specific turntable, but I suspect he is learning about proportions, dimensions, and there effects on the sound of the turntable.

What he learns is likely informing him on his next turntable project, the early schematics of which I was lucky to see during my first visit to Utah. Having heard he is a S 2000 now multiple times in different settings and different systems, I have every confidence that he will find ways to create even higher levels of performance. I am astonished that the notion is even a possibility.

This thread now has the attention of Ron’s hyperbole police.

Thank you so much for replying!
Re-posted @tima's pic here so more people can see it on this page:

@ddk I've remembered one of your epic posts about visiting Japan and hearing Moryiama san and Machida san audio systems, and there's a turntable that looks a lot like the American Sound but made locally in Fukuoka:

Does the big platter turntable come from the same place/has similar origins? Would you please share some details about it and what you think about it's sound?

Reactions: hairyderriere

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
What's this big platter turntable? How does it sound vs the AS-2000 and will it be released to the market (as a cheaper/more expensive/same price alternative to the AS-2000)?
It’s a one off prototype tt that I found years ago and finally arrived this year. It was an experiment with a 45 cm platter and very nicely made. It had/has a few things that still need upgrading and modifying and then will run properly and make really beautiful music.
Thank you so much for replying!
Re-posted @tima's pic here so more people can see it on this page:

@ddk I've remembered one of your epic posts about visiting Japan and hearing Moryiama san and Machida san audio systems, and there's a turntable that looks a lot like the American Sound but made locally in Fukuoka:

Does the big platter turntable come from the same place/has similar origins? Would you please share some details about it and what you think about it's sound?
Different owner. I was told that it was an early AS1000 but it's a project machine and only an AS copy, needs quite a bit of machining to make it right, at this point it's just two blocks of steel with a shape :) !

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing